Regifting lovely perfume gift set
Just doesn't suit my chemistry

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TopsyTurvy

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

I was given a lovely perfume gift set, with the perfume and body wash and body lotion.

However I tried a small spritz of the perfume last night and it doesn't react well with my body chemistry and smells very cloying and heavy.  In its own its nice and I am sure it would work well for my niece.

Is it acceptable to regift in this case, as the present will just sit unused in my cupboard.
I already had purchased a gift for my niece so this will be in addition to her present.

Or do I donate it to a charity?

#2 CupOfCoffee

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

As long as she doesn't know the person who gave it to you, I think it is fine to give it to your niece.

#3 Zazzy1

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

I have recently gone through all my gift sets that i have recieved over the last yr that i have not used as they are duplicates or I simply did not like(all unopened) and have re gifted them as christmas presents, have saved a fortune by doing this and i remember who gave me what so there is no fear of me giving it back to the same person or someone they know.

#4 PixieVee

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

I'd give it to your niece, but I'd tell her "hey, also I got this from a friend and it doesn't work on me, do you want it?" as opposed to pretending you'd bought it for her.

#5 Just Another Cat

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (PixieVee @ 20/12/2012, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd give it to your niece, but I'd tell her "hey, also I got this from a friend and it doesn't work on me, do you want it?" as opposed to pretending you'd bought it for her.

I would do this. You already have a gift for her anyway.

#6 CountryFeral

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

I don't get the angst over re-gifting.

If it is something your niece would like AND it wasn't a gift from someone who will be there when she opens it OF COURSE it is a nice present.

#7 bees-knees

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (PixieVee @ 20/12/2012, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this

#8 Therese

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

This is what I would do original.gif

#9 Oriental lily

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

I have never been able to regift.

I have been very tempted in the past but think its really not fair on the person receiving it and the person who gave it.

The thought and expense to you has been zero.
So it's not a gift. Just a cheap way to fix a perceived obligation.

Op in your case I would not give it as a gift.
Just ask the next female visitor if she likes and wants it next time you have someone over.
This way it's not going to waste.

Edited by Oriental lily, 20 December 2012 - 08:45 AM.

#10 Oilucy

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:05 AM

I'd give it to her.
Last year someone gave each of my children a box of chocolates (but they were adult chocolates that looked quite expensive and imported). The person that gave them was a professional and also a health nut.
I suspect the chocolates were all Christmas gifts to that person as they werent really something you'd choose for a child if you were going to give them chocolates; but you know what, its the thought that count and my children loved them so who cares and I think its great that they didnt go to waste and went to people who appreciated them.

#11 FluffyOscar

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 20/12/2012, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't get the angst over re-gifting.

If it is something your niece would like AND it wasn't a gift from someone who will be there when she opens it OF COURSE it is a nice present.

Except in this situation the present is used. I would just offer it to her with a quick explanation and not to to pass it off as a gift, which implies thought and expense.

QUOTE (Oilucy @ 22/12/2012, 03:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd give it to her.
Last year someone gave each of my children a box of chocolates (but they were adult chocolates that looked quite expensive and imported). The person that gave them was a professional and also a health nut.
I suspect the chocolates were all Christmas gifts to that person as they werent really something you'd choose for a child if you were going to give them chocolates; but you know what, its the thought that count and my children loved them so who cares and I think its great that they didnt go to waste and went to people who appreciated them.

That's a very charitable way of looking at it. Because I'm mean I'd also think "so these chocolates are too unhealthy for the giver to consume, but he thinks it's ok for my kids to eat them. Because he doesn't care about my kids' health...". I am my mother's daughter on that one...

#12 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

This is what I would do.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.