Lens for Canon camera

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 littlewink5

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hi,
Im not a photographer, just have a canon 1000D and it came with 18-55mm lens. Well I dont know what happened with it, but I it keeps coming up with error 01 - communication between lense and camera. Tried cleaning it etc just not working.

Now it is a hobby that I find I will eventually start doing, my partner got me a 70-300mm lens for my birthday the other day, and that works fine on the camera. So Im guessing definately lens fault.

So my question is, I obviously need a new lens for everyday shooting, and not sure if I should get the same 18-55mm lens or get something that costs a little more that is better.

Any recommendations?
Thanking you x

#2 Sentient Puddle

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

What is your budget and what do you normally shoot?

#3 littlewink5

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

I dont have a budget, I wont buy brand new either. I have looked at some 18-55mm on gumtree, and they start at $125.00. I have also seen newer model camera's with two lens for around $450 (I think 450D)

Im looking at taking photography up in the near future so wanting something decent

Thanks for the reply original.gif

#4 MammaBee81

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

I would take it to a camera store and ask them if they have a suggestion. There may be a problem with the connection junction.

An 18-55 mm is a macro lens. Usually you would use that for shooting very small things (eg small bugs) so that you can blow it up in much better detail.

For "everyday shooting" (such as portraits or landscapes), your 70-300 mm should be better as you can get closer to your subject (if you tried to shoot a portrait with an 18-55 mm you would have to stand much further away from your subject than with your zoom lens. This would make it more difficult to light your subject if you are doing flash photography).

Again, it depends on what you want to shoot.

#5 MammaBee81

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

PS, also make sure that any new or second hand lenses you buy are compatible with your camera body. I know with Nikkon, all the junctions remain the same so you can buy old lenses and they still fit new bodies. Not sure about Canon.

#6 Sentient Puddle

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

The 18-55 isnt a macro lens - it is a general all purpose lens - it is also a very cheap kit lens that can be picked up new (grey) for about $100.  The kit lens is slow and not that sharp and the thing you need to decide is whether you want to upgrade in quality to better glass.  For example the Canon 17-55 2.8 is about $900 (grey) but much better quality.  The Canon 24-70 2.8 would also set you back about $1400. We are talking about serious glass here and there is a lot of options in between such as Tamron and Sigma lenses that have lenses in those focal ranges but are cheaper alternatives, but would still be much better than just replacing the kit lens with another kit lens which is adequate but not what I would call "decent".   As for the the newer model cameras with 2 lenses - again you would just be buying kit lenses.

#7 mummy26

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

Also a 70-300mm isn't a landscape lens, you need something like a 10-22mm for landscape...on a crop sensor

#8 ~BumbleBeeeee~

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

The 450D is an old camera - I'd avoid it if I were you, and get something much newer.

I outgrew the 450D pretty quickly (and I bought it brand new over 6 years ago).

#9 littlewink5

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

Thank you for your suggestions ladies, decisions decisions, haha!

#10 (feral)epg

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (MammaBee81 @ 20/12/2012, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would take it to a camera store and ask them if they have a suggestion. There may be a problem with the connection junction.

An 18-55 mm is a macro lens. Usually you would use that for shooting very small things (eg small bugs) so that you can blow it up in much better detail.

For "everyday shooting" (such as portraits or landscapes), your 70-300 mm should be better as you can get closer to your subject (if you tried to shoot a portrait with an 18-55 mm you would have to stand much further away from your subject than with your zoom lens. This would make it more difficult to light your subject if you are doing flash photography).

Again, it depends on what you want to shoot.

Sorry - I think you have this backwards

#11 melaine

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (~BumbleBeeeee~ @ 21/12/2012, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 450D is an old camera - I'd avoid it if I were you, and get something much newer.

I outgrew the 450D pretty quickly (and I bought it brand new over 6 years ago).

I'd get something newer as well. But, I still use my 400D and get good shots.

OP - don't get another kit lens. If you look like the focal range of the 18-55 (it's a good all purpose indoor/outdoor lens on a crop sensor like the 1000d or 450/550/50/60D) then look at the tamron 17-50 2.8mm. It's the only lens I have and while I'd love something longer for outdoors (so I could be further from my subject) it's a great lens for portraits and lifestyle photos.

#12 winkywonkeydonkey

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

tamron 17-50 is a good all purpose lens for a good price.

Also dont discount prime lenses. 50mm 1.8 is a good starting lens or a sigma 30mm.
so many choices... ha ha it never ends lol

#13 littlewink5

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

Ok, I will just stick with the camera I have and wait until I have done a course (as I said its a hobby I wish to start in the near future) and look at some of these lenses you have suggested. Its purely to replace the lens that does not work anymore however if Im going to buy a new one, Im happy to pay for a good lens, Im pretty sure canon's are universal with their lens?

#14 MammaBee81

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Wow... you're right, I had it backwards...

I promised I'd never blame my stupidity on baby brain, but this week has been insane with me mixing up elementary things that I really do just know! It's really making me think there is such a thing...

Tuesday I was counting for one of my TaeKwonDo students so they could perform one of the basic Poomse (patterns) at their belt grading and I totally missed the end of the pattern (I've been doing this for 18 years).

Today I was fingerprinting a car and located a fingerprint, but by the time I'd finished the car, do you think I could remember where it was? It took me 10 min to locate it again!

What a retard... I think I need to go offline for a while... sigh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.