Would any of the James Bond movies be suitable for a nearly 8 year old?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 antigone_

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

My son turns 8 in Feb and has been begging me to let him watch a James Bond movie. Between being 27 weeks pregnant with both kids on holidays now, and packing up the house to move out so we can renovate, I simply don't have a spare 2-4 hours to screen a movie or two.

So I thought a few people in the EB community would know whether any of the movies would be suitable for his age? I really appreciate the advice! original.gif

#2 **Xena**

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

It's hard to know without knowing your child as different things affect different children.

#3 rabbit hyde

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

I've watched most of the Bond series and I would say no.

Between the sex scenes and the violence I couldn't see much that would be appropriate for an 8 yr old.

I think there are some kid friendly movies that have a spy theme to them stuff like spy kids, agent cody banks, harriet the spy, the spy next door and I think the get smart remake might be suitable substitutes.

#4 mum201

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Mmmmmm depends on the child.
Some of the Sean Connery ones like Thunderball aren't too dark and the sexual innuendo might go over his head.
Definitely not Dr No or anything since Pierce Brosnan.

#5 CountryFeral

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

Depends...

The Roger Moore ones are so cheesy (Moonraker anyone?) that they almost descend into slapstick.  
But they all still have killing and sex in them...(and rampant misogyny of course!)

I watched Bond at the cinema when I was about 10  - and (as they say) 'It didn't do me no harm!"  but I'd be loathe to 'recommend' any of them.

#6 antigone_

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (rabbit hyde @ 20/12/2012, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've watched most of the Bond series and I would say no.

Between the sex scenes and the violence I couldn't see much that would be appropriate for an 8 yr old.

I think there are some kid friendly movies that have a spy theme to them stuff like spy kids, agent cody banks, harriet the spy, the spy next door and I think the get smart remake might be suitable substitutes.

Great, thanks so much. I just don't have the headspace to evaluate it properly right now but it seems there is not a lot to recommend an 8 year old see the movies. It really has been years for me and I thought I'd make the time to screen one if there was a lot of difference of opinion.

The above options are very helpful - he's obsessed with all things spy, so thanks a heap original.gif

#7 IsolaBella

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

I am with countrymel. i remember going to see Bond movies at a similar age, but yes the sex, violence etc does not have me lining my kids up for it..... Although I will say they have already seen Star Wars  (eldest is 7).

Can't wait for them to appreciate the Goonies.

Fecking autocorrect

Edited by lsolaBella, 20 December 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#8 JustBeige

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 20/12/2012, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depends...

The Roger Moore ones are so cheesy (Moonraker anyone?) that they almost descend into slapstick.  
But they all still have killing and sex in them...(and rampant misogyny of course!)

I watched Bond at the cinema when I was about 10  - and (as they say) 'It didn't do me no harm!"  but I'd be loathe to 'recommend' any of them.

I agree.

We have a few on DVD and usually just fast forward through the sex scenes.(11 and 12yr olds)

They definitely can not watch any of Daniel Craigs films though.  Apart from Skyfall, they are much too violent.

#9 The Old Feral

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

Agent Cody Banks = Bond for 7yos!

We have a few Bond films on DVD and I do let the kids watch selected scenes, mostly the OTT car/boat/ski chases.

#10 IsolaBella

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

I would have been a similar age seeing for your eyes only and octopussy

#11 antigone_

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (The Old Bag @ 20/12/2012, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agent Cody Banks = Bond for 7yos!

We have a few Bond films on DVD and I do let the kids watch selected scenes, mostly the OTT car/boat/ski chases.

Noted! original.gif

It had occurred to me to look up some of the car chases on YouTube as both boys have been askign about that. Good one original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.