Prawns on Christmas Day
When would you buy them?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ~*charleylola*~

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

It's that time of year again where I can't be bothered cooking so thinking about maybe getting prawns for family Christmas lunch.

I'm thinking maybe buying fresh raw prawns late at night on Sunday (as fishmonger will be open) and then cooking it early Christmas morning. The alternative is buying them already cooked, store it well and then "refresh" them early Christmas morning.

My apologies if this belongs in WDYT, thought here was more appropriate as it concerns cooking.

TIA!

#2 Belu

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

We pick ours up Christmas Eve morning.

#3 BeYOUtiful

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:22 AM

Christmas Eve here too.

#4 lisacat

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

We are going to Costco to get ours that are already pre cooked and peeled. We get them from Costco all throughout the year they are really yummy.

#5 imamumto3

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

christmas eve morning

#6 Pearson

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

I get up super early (well, normal time, but I am usually on holidays, so should sleep in, on Christmas Eve, and go to a good, small, local fishmonger.
This way, I can choose my prawns.

I dont order in advance,I like to see what I am buying.

#7 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

We have a local prawnmonger who opens on Christmas morning so we are well covered.

#8 PrincessPeach

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

From the Trawlers on Christmas Eve morning - mind you we have had to order them.

#9 ~*charleylola*~

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hi PPs,

Thanks for your replies. Christmas Eve morning is not quite doable as we won't be able to do it due to transport issues that day.

Will see if I can get SIL to help get them instead.

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks again for the replies! Just had a re-read and realized my post probably didn't make sense (half asleep when I wrote it)  ohmy.gif

#10 Lucygoosey1

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

Just as another option,  we buy cooked prawns still frozen.  Then defrost in the fridge Christmas eve (day) in a pot with salt water.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.