Adelaide is too small!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Lees75

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

DD, who is 6, has a boyfriend. "For real, this time, mum!". Well, his mum, B, was high school besties with XH's girlfriend!

What are your "Adelaide is too small" stories?

Edited by Lees75, 20 December 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#2 Chazee

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

My Dad's now wife was at a circus about 20 years ago where my Dad's Mum was bitten by a horse!

ETA: I must add she actually saw my Nana get bitten!!

Edited by Anlawich, 20 December 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#3 Dionysus

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Turned out my ex DF's new GF worked for my mum. That was fun. lol

I work with someone on here's mum. Perhaps that's not so much an Adelaide story, than an EB story. They don't know and I don't know who the mum is LOL - it was something they said like ' my mum works for that ....' And I work there too.

#4 2_little_boys

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

My husband was adopted.  I met him through his natural cousin.

Our dads worked at the same place when we were kids.  When I met him my dad works with FILs close friend.

Hubby used to compete in lifesaving.  Coincidentally I spent my weekends watching them  wink.gif

When my brother met his first wife she was the girl who looked after me (was a yr 7) when I first started primary school.

Edited by 2_little_boys, 20 December 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#5 livvie7586

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

mine's more an 'australia is too small'

Girl i went to school with from yr 4 through to yr 12 now lives in canberra and is friends with a boy i went to school with yr 5-yr 7.  so far seem ok?

Except school i went to with said girl is in Port Macquarie, school i went to boy with is in Burnie, Tas  biggrin.gif

#6 WhatWouldBuffyDo

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

Mine's an "Australia is too small too" or more specifically, the Army.
My old neighbour, lived across the road on the RAAF Base in Darwin, now works/drinks with a guy that i was friends with in high school (Kempsey) and they are both now living in Townsville.

#7 Tunip

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

Mine are Adelaide, EB and this thread are too small 'stories'!

My son attended the same childcare centre (I think was in the same room?) as **Mel**'s daughter earlier this year. (Coincidently, I am also a Mel.)

Lees75 works across the road from my husband.

(Feeling a little stalkerish right now...)

Edited by mummasaurus, 21 December 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#8 Fluster

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

This is an 'Australia is too small' story.

I met my husband through RSVP.  We'd been dating a few months when we realised our his father and my mother worked at the same place during the same time period.  Turns out they were buddy-buddy co-workers and knew each other well.

Unfortunately for FIL, a bunch of lies he told ended up being exposed because of this.

#9 Dionysus

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (mummasaurus @ 21/12/2012, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My son attended the same childcare centre (I think was in the same room?) as **Mel**'s daughter earlier this year. (Coincidently, I am also a Mel.)

Oh cool.  DD is in the Luna room now (I think, I get confused with the names  LOL)  She is 3 and a half

She loves it there.

#10 melaine

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

This might lead to an EB is too small moment if my friend is also a member...

However, my friend had a 'world too small moment' recently when she figured out the guy who had recently started working with her husband, was a guy she had dated 12 years ago.

Fair enough perhaps, except he was Canadian. She's from England. They dated (briefly) in the UK then soon after the relationship ended she met her Aussie now-DH and moved to Australia.

At some point this other guy met his Aussie now-wife and moved to the same city in Australia.

Extra weird bit - both couples have daughters with the same first name!

#11 Tunip

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (**Mel** @ 21/12/2012, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh cool.  DD is in the Luna room now (I think, I get confused with the names  LOL)  She is 3 and a half

She loves it there.

Oliver is three and a half as well. original.gif He was in the Stella room when he was attending in May/June. He loved it as well but we, uh, had some 'issues' so I discontinued his enrollment. It was a pity, his primary carer was awesome.

#12 Dionysus

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

ah that's too bad.  We have only had great experiences there.

#13 skylark

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

When I was 9 (in 1981) I went to a very small country nsw steiner school, there were less than 30 students.

Last year I was at a family gathering of my husband's family in Melbourne. His cousin (one of 6 in that generation of the family), who lives in Melbourne was there with his fiancee. Who was one of the other students at that tiny school 30 years before. What are the odds that two boys out of six would end up with girls from that tiny group?

#14 kpingitquiet

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Only "small" stories here are bumping in to FIL/SMIL not once, but twice, just running random errands. Once was at a Spotlight in Noarlunga. Once was at Myer on Rundle Mall. The thing is, we live in the rather far NE suburbs and they live in Kangarilla. So, really, chances are kinda slim we'd wind up at the same stores biggrin.gif

I think husband runs into his various family members a lot, but they all work in public services of some sort (police, nursing homes, hospitals, water company, etc) and his job takes him to a lot of their workplaces hehe.

But I've lived in towns where the post office was the size of a closet and the population was, in one place, me, dad, the landlords, and two neighbors. So this is NOT that small wink.gif Nor is it that big.

#15 The 7 Dwarfs

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

When we first moved here 2.5 years ago, we went to the Philippines when Xavier was only like 3 week old. He had been in the news for being the biggest baby born at the hospital. We were in a play room at Kuala Lumpur airport and a couple with a couple of kids recognized him and chatted to us for a while.

The same family 2 years later came up to us and said hi as they are now at the same little athletics club as us. My kids go to athletics 45 minutes away, so we don't live in the same area.

I work 30 minutes from here, 2 doors down is one of the other 9 RNs who work at my work. One of the ENs children was in the same class as one of my children.

Edited by The 7 Dwarfs, 21 December 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#16 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

Adelaide, one giant country town. Its kinda scary at times lol

Most memorable was a a friend went out for new year, I had stayed home as I was already plasterd.
Around 2am she calls me to say she put her friend in a taxi and sending her to ours.  
This chick had flipped out, was crying in my ex's lap (who was there and by chance ran into my friend, she attatched to him)

Taxi pulls up and out she gets, we go sit down start chatting and realise that in highschool (other side of town to) we used to hang out, were rather close then to and some same classes together.  
She ended up dating my ex for almost 3 years after that night.

#17 Lees75

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (mummasaurus @ 21/12/2012, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I forgot about that! I will have to go and introduce myself to him. Is he the main host guy? But it will have to wait until Jan 7, as I am on holidays- woo hoo!

#18 Tunip

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (Lees75 @ 22/12/2012, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, I forgot about that! I will have to go and introduce myself to him. Is he the main host guy? But it will have to wait until Jan 7, as I am on holidays- woo hoo!

Have a great holiday!! No, he is the head chef so usually stuck out the back in the kitchen. original.gif

#19 Cath-In-SA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

Despite being an Adelaide girl, mine is a "World too small" story.

In Year 9  my family went on a bus tour of the South Island of NZ.  We pulled up to a random look out somewhere and in the car next to us was a girl in my year at school on a self-drive holiday with her family.

She also did my wedding hair a few years later.

#20 Elemenopee

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:29 AM

After my boys were born prematurely, they had 100 days in WCH, during which time I was able to attend some multiple birth antenatal  classes WCH offers.
IN the class of 7 couples, 3 of us females went to the same High School within a year of each other. The High School was a rural one, too, 2 hours from Adelaide.

#21 PigNewton

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

A work colleague (that I previously worked with from 1989-1992) said to me "Oh you'll never guess who I ran into!" and then named a guy we'd worked with at the same time. A week or so later he came into work and said to my colleague "Hey, I saw an ex-workmate of ours when I was dropping my daughter off to kindy" and then described me. Not not only are we all in the same area after originally working 4 or 5 suburbs away, he recognized me after seeing me for the last time 21 years ago.

I've also worked with a lady who I found out after a few months was a childhood playmate of a couple of my aunts and was also distantly related...this being said, if you're German Lutheran in SA and meet another German Lutheran, you will almost certainly be related in some way.

It's why we're all a bit funny looking biggrin.gif

#22 jo-v

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

My BF in the UK is a teacher, she started work at a new school and the Deputy Head was her then fiances psycho ex-girlfriend! (psycho in that she tried to stab him when thy split up).

To their credit they worked together for about 5 years but it was pretty awkward, especially when my friend was planning her wedding!

#23 CalEliKat

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

It's an all over thing.  I met DH in Sydney through a mutual friend.  When i met his family it turned out that his Grandpa and Grandma owned the butcher shop where my grandparents shopped and they used to give my dad frankfurts when he was a little boy.  My Dad then went on to grafitti the side of their shop with 'Get out of Vietnam'.  His grandmother remembered my dad and all of his siblings and it also turned out my grandmother tutored DH's uncle in English/History.  Intertwined families.

My childhood 'boyfriend' ie we loved each other in kindy, and I eventually ended up in a real relationship (around age 20) that was discouraged by both sets of parents, we found out why when they told us that our great grandmothers were sisters.

Edited by kerrie23, 22 December 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#24 1ds1dd

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Small world story. When I was a teenager we lived in a tiny coastal town in NSW and our parents took us to Disneyland. On one of our three days there we ran into our neighbors from over the back fence! We didn't know they were going and they didn't know we were going!

Edited by 1ds1dd, 22 December 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#25 KT1978

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

I live in Wollongong.

rolleyes.gif

My boss used to surf with my uncle, possibly went out with my mum and my aunt dated the bosses brother in high school.

And that's just one story.

I have learnt early to be very careful what you say about people! And living in the suburb where your mum grew up can be very interesting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.