Christmas Pudd in the slow cooker help?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JustBeige

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

Has anyone done their Christmas pudding in the slow cooker.

I have got a steamer bowl - not the bag - and I was talking to mum today about dragging out the boiler etc, when I remembered my slow cooker.

My main concern is the metal of the pudd steamer sitting on the base of the slow cooker bowl.

What woud you put in the bottom to avoid damaging the slow cooker pot.  a bit of calico? or Alfoil?\

Also how long would you cook it for?

#2 notjustyet

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

I use alfoil when boiling my puddings on the stove - make it into a ring shape. I think calico might burn, not sure though.

Also don't know how long to cook for, sorry. I do mine on the stove for 1.5 hours, so I guess that would equate to 8 hours on high. You could always do 6 hours, then open and test it with a skewer.

Good luck original.gif

#3 unicorn

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

I use a glass steamer and fold a tea towel to line the base of the cooker with it. I boil my puddings on low.

#4 amabanana

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

I used the microwave last year as per the instructions on the side of the pud.   ph34r.gif Fast and couldn't tell the difference TBH.   You're only going to drown it in brandy butter/cream/custard, right?  lol

#5 JustBeige

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (amabanana @ 21/12/2012, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used the microwave last year as per the instructions on the side of the pud.   ph34r.gif Fast and couldn't tell the difference TBH.   You're only going to drown it in brandy butter/cream/custard, right?  lol

lol. I dont know I dont actually eat them as they have too much alcohol in them and I hate cakes with alcohol.  But apparently my DH and mum tell me its a tradition and I should finally learn to cook one. (I dont mind as I love to cook and try new things)

We do have the microwave ones here and yes they do drown them in custard etc. Apparently its not the same though  happy.gif

#6 ubermum

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

I haven't done it, but I would just put a folded up tea towel on the base of the slow cooker and do it.

#7 amabanana

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (JustBeige @ 21/12/2012, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol. I dont know I dont actually eat them as they have too much alcohol in them and I hate cakes with alcohol.  But apparently my DH and mum tell me its a tradition and I should finally learn to cook one. (I dont mind as I love to cook and try new things)

We do have the microwave ones here and yes they do drown them in custard etc. Apparently its not the same though  happy.gif

If she loves it so much then get her to do it.  wink.gif  (Just kiddin')

I'm a from scratch non lazy cooker and I couldn't tell the difference.  I'm sure if you did a blind taste they wouldn't guess.  But, better to keep the troops happy.  happy.gif  Merry Christmas!

#8 ~littlebirdy~

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

I prefer to do mine in the slow cooker and use an upturned saucer under the pudding steamer (I use this if I cook it on the stove too). I cook mine for about 8 hours on high with boiling water up halfway. I think foil would work fine too instead of the saucer. So nice to leave it cooking away all day without having to worry about the water level dropping like on the stove original.gif

#9 JustBeige

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (~littlebirdy~ @ 21/12/2012, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I prefer to do mine in the slow cooker and use an upturned saucer under the pudding steamer (I use this if I cook it on the stove too). I cook mine for about 8 hours on high with boiling water up halfway. I think foil would work fine too instead of the saucer. So nice to leave it cooking away all day without having to worry about the water level dropping like on the stove original.gif

That was exactly my comment to mum.  At least this way I dont have to keep topping it up.  or have a brick on the lid of the boiler - my nan nearly had a brainsnap one year when I came in and lifted the brick and the lid to have a look. much arm waving later, I learnt to never take the lid off a pudding pot unless you are topping it up with boiling water. laughing2.gif

thanks for the tips and thoughts everyone  happy.gif   good to see I was on the right track.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.