Mirena questions

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 M2P

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

I seen my GP today and he has suggested that having a Mirena will help eliminate my erratic AF.  Does anyone have one already??  Is it painful??  Can you 'feel' it??  Does it stop your AF or does it just make it all 'normal'??

#2 sophiasmum

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Reading with interest also, as I plan to get one in the NY.

#3 Jax12

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

I had one put in 2 years ago after DS was born.  Because I had a c section my cervix was closed and tight so it was a bit painful going in, but was fine after that.  I had some cramping for a few days and spotting.  I didn't get a proper period for about 12 months but now it's back and regular as anything for the first time in my life - every 25 days.  It still lasts the same, about 6 days, but is much, much lighter than it used to be.  I used to really suffer with my periods.

I can't feel it.  There are two wires that hang down that are stiff to start off with so if you go feeling for them you can feel them easily, be they soften up over time (can still feel them if you're looking)

I have read/heard both very positive reviews as well as negative experiences with the Mirena but for me I've had no problems at all and will defintitely have one again after this one's out for the next bub.

#4 mellymoos

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

Hey
I've had one for 3 years since the birth of DS2. It wasn't painful to have inserted (you can feel it), it was slightly more uncomfortable than a pap smear.
It hasn't stopped my very heavy periods, but i have less loss and usually over in a couple of days. I've had no issues with it, I've also read some negative comments. I have always been regular so can't help if it helps with regulation.

#5 Jekaho

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:13 AM

I had one put in 8 months after having bub. It was uncomfortable to get put in - but this was a few years ago - apparently now it's a little more uncomfortable as they measure you and other stuff?? So the insertion/positioning can be painful. But that didn't last long.
I hadn't got my period back yet. But after some initial light bleeding with the insertion of the mirena, my period did come back (coincidence perhaps). And I had pretty much regular monthly periods, quite light and no period pain (unlike pre-pregnancy). Never felt it. Hubby never mentioned feeling it.

I had it taken out after six or so months as I had unexplained nausea and wanted to see if that was the cause. Not sure if it was or not.

#6 Ferelsmegz

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

I have had one for 4.5 years.

Havent had a period since 2008 - and before that they were super heavy!

I get the occasional crapping and spotting - but that is only every 6 months or so. I love it and will be getting a new one early next year!! original.gif

Oh and you cant feel it once its in... it was a bit of a process to get it in... like a long pap smear - my ob/gyn did mine and he put a local in my cervix to ease some of the discomfort - highly recommend that.

#7 PureBliss

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

I had one put in 2 days ago.

I had the local anaesetic and yes it was like a long pap smear. There were probably about  4 instances where it felt a bit yuck, but they passed very quickly. I thought it would hurt the whole time - it didn't.

To be honest, though I felt pretty yuck afterwards. I was cold and bit shaky, almost like shock. Then I was a little bit crampy, panadol and bed helped.

Yesterday  I felt both nauseous and "hormonal". Really on edge, like I was going to cry at the drop of a hat. Haven't felt like that since I was pregnant!  Also started spotting.

Today, the hormones have settled, and the nausea is gone,  still experiencing a bit cramping  - just like mild period pain.

I can't feel it at all, haven't gone looking though!

I have a twelve week follow up appointment booked. I am giving it until then - if it doesn't settle down I will get it out. Apparently removal doesn't hurt at all.

#8 tickledpink72

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

I've had mine for almost a year, and while I love the physical effects of it, the effects on my mental health are not worth it.  I'm getting it removed soon.

#9 Ireckon

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (tickledpink72 @ 21/12/2012, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had mine for almost a year, and while I love the physical effects of it, the effects on my mental health are not worth it.  I'm getting it removed soon.

Would you mind elaborating on this? Pm if you would prefer. I have had mine in for almost the 5 years, and whilst physically, I have loved it, I have had some really tough times emotionally and mentally. I part, this may have been life and circumstance, but I have wondered if it had a bit to do with the mirena.

#10 littlepickle

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

I am in the 2nd year of my second Mirena (so 7 years so far ). First 12 months of the first one I had erratic spotting but then settled. I dont feel much discomfort with having them removed / reinserted but know of people having t have a GA to have it done.

When I am not doing as much exercise and have a little more body fat I tend to get my period every 28-35 days.

If I exercise / lower my body weight then I still get sore breasts evry 28 days or so but no bleeding. Think I have gone around 8 months now.

keeps my iron stores etc up.

Havent noticed any impact on emotions/ mental health but does knock the libido off a bit ( which you would expect if you are not ovulating )

I do however need to make a follow up appointment around 4 weeks after insertion to have the wires shortened otherwise DH says it feels like he is being stabbed with a sharp pin !!!

good luck
littlepickle

#11 LifesGood

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

I got mine in May this year. Having it fitted was no big deal, a bit like a pap smear with some extra rummaging around. I didn't have an anaesthetic and it wasn't painful or uncomfortable. I have not been able to feel it at all.

My period was very heavy and I had lots of intra-cycle bleeding and spotting before the Mirena. Now I have a very light period if at all and some spotting mid-cycle but each month it seems to decrease. I do get mild headaches for a few days each month and I'm fairly certain this is due to the Mirena.

It has made my cycle so much more manageable, I'm quite pleased with it. Plus of course I won't get pregnant! DH is also pleased with it as it means no more condoms.

#12 loulou_b

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Tickledpink I'm also interested to hear your experience as I am wondering if my Mirena which was put in 5 months ago is causing my depression. Mentally I've been feeling like poo and there's no other explanation such as trauma or loss or money troubles etc...
Physically it is great as I've had not very regular light spotting and no cramps or pain.  I had mine put in under a general as I had a curette to clean things up after months of very heavy periods and some " exploration" where they found a small polyp which was removed.
I'm a bit worried if there's pain involved with removal?

Edited by loulou_b, 21 December 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#13 lamarque

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

I had an awful time with the Mirena.  I had mine for about 4.5 years but unfortunately only started putting two and two together in the last year or so.

I had many side effects, all of which are listed on the Bayer website - depression/mood swings, acne, cysts (ovarian and breast), headaches which eventually led to migraines, no libido and more recently unexplained hives.  

My strings disappeared too but removal was no problem.  

I remember some months just wanting to stare at a wall.  I had it taken out in June and I'm much better now thankfully.

#14 Funwith3

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

I've had the Mirena in twice now.

It hurts slightly when it gets put in - more a small mildly painful twinge. I never get my AF when I have the Mirena in!! happy days  biggrin.gif

I'd highly recommend getting it, I've had absolutely no side effects.

#15 BetteBoop

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (LifesGood @ 21/12/2012, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got mine in May this year. Having it fitted was no big deal, a bit like a pap smear with some extra rummaging around.

biggrin.gif

I like the way you've phrased this, but I wouldn't describe it the same way.

It was incredibly painful having it put in but I only have 1 child. Generally if you have more kids, it's less painful because your cervix is wider to begin with.

It's been about 8 months and I love my Mirena. Love it.

I had painful heavy periods before that resulted in anaemia and exhaustion. I used to get so run down, I'd become sick with every period and get a cold or another type of virus. Every single period this happened. It was awful.

I have nothing now. No bleeding, no pain, no PMS.

I had a few months of intermittent spotting and cramps but it's all settled down now.

#16 babysaurs

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

I've had mine for about a year now the first 7/8 months sucked I bled every day! Was going to get it taken out but it has finally started to settle down now with sparatic spotting.
The insertion was nothing for me and I was terrified of it! I thought was better then a pap mere!

#17 HURRY UP

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

It's been a year and if it continues to be so good will definitely have it again. HOWEVER I will have a GA next time! My gp couldn't get it to stay in so she sent me to a gyno and he suggested doing it under anesthetic but silly old me thought that seemed a bit over the top for such a small procedure. He said that some women react badly to there uterus being touched, it wasn't painful it was just a horrible feeling that made me nearly pass out.
Before having it I had very irregular periods and loads of headaches, I now have spotting occasionally for a day if that and very few headaches.

I had never thought about the mirena causing my occasional migraine, 3 in the past 12 months and I had never had one before that. (I have just been diagnosed with eye disease and I think my failing sight probably has more to do with it).

Highly recommend it
Cheers Kerry

Edited by HURRY UP, 16 January 2013 - 10:42 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.