Cleaner for a really messy/dirty house
With no "judgement"

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 somila

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hi - I have a friend who is looking for a cleaner.  They have had some in the past but lost them - apparently her house is too messy/dirty and the work is too hard?  I understand that it must be hard work to clean and re-clean a really messy/dirty house but my question is: are there cleaners who are happy to work around this and not be "judgy"?
I've never had a cleaner but I'd really like to help her find one - the mess and the comments from the previous cleaner are bringing her down in a big way and this family has enough pressure (various things) already.
The house is in Brisbane.
Any thoughts?

#2 CountryFeral

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

We used to get a cleaner in our share house many years ago.  She was a uni student and didn't seem to be frightened by the pestilence?

Are your friends willing to pay extra for the extra time it takes? If so I can't see what the cleaner's problem is?

The house isn't full of biohazards or anything is it?

#3 IsolaBella

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

I found that cleaners only want to clean a clean tidy house. They would not pick up or move anything...just clean around things.

Try looking for a housekeeper I was suggested to tidy and clean. I didn't bother with this though.

#4 CallMeFeral

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

You'd have thought the extra time it takes would be compensation sad.gif I think it's really bad that the cleaner made those comments. I mean fair enough if they don't want to take the job, but making your friend feel bad about it is pretty mean.

I think our cleaner finds our place pretty awful sometimes (ok all times). But when we're really messy it just takes her longer, so we pay more.

#5 Duck.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

I cant see why there would be a problem unless shes leaving spew or extremly cluttered (hoarder)

When my house is bad i just ask them to focus on bathrooms, kitchen and dust if any time left (normally there is) she will clean up laundry, do my dishes etc

If you where in perth i would pm you her details as shes brilliant. She even helped me do my cupboards!

#6 CallMeFeral

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

My place is extremely cluttered! She just throws all the stuff on the couches so that she can get to the floor to mop and vacuum. I'm not saying she should have to, but I'm not sure why that would be any harder work than just vacuuming itself. Just takes a little longer.
Where is your friend OP?

#7 somila

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Brisbane - any recommendations would be welcome.

I don't really understand it either.  I used to visit regularly and the house was (IMO) fine.  The kids are older now and there are issues that are preventing the parents keeping the house clean (can't go into them for privacy reasons).  

No spew or toxic waste that I know of.

#8 NinjaMum

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (somila @ 21/12/2012, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brisbane - any recommendations would be welcome.

When you get your recommendations, please pass them on to me! My house could do with a bit of help too. ph34r.gif

#9 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Whereabouts in Brisbane? I had a fantastic one put Crestnead/Regents Park way a few years ago who was completely not judgy despite my house being a pigsty every week.

We have a couple through an agency now and I find them very odd. They haven't said anything judgy, but they are a bit strange and I prefer to take the kids out while they are here.

#10 qak

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Was the job rejected by just one cleaner, or a few?

Is it meant to be a one off clean, or is it going to be a regular weekly/fortnightly clean?  

Maybe they need to get a thorough clean done which might take a couple of days, and then go to the periodic clean?

#11 Feral Lemur

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

maybe they need an organiser / clean rather than a generic cleaner?

#12 mumto3princesses

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

Yep, there are cleaners that don't mind at all. original.gif Just go in there and clean. As pp said it will take longer if there is things to move etc but its no problem.

I'm a cleaner but can't help you OP as I'm not in Brisbane.

#13 WinterIsComing

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

OP, are you really looking for yourself but just can't bring yourself to own up to a really messy house?   biggrin.gif No judgement, just curious original.gif

I find that Asian cleaners generally never judge and just get on with work, move things around etc. I usually tidy up before ours arrive, but if we don't have time, they often will do it, fold things nicely, stack them etc. I've tried a few cleaners before, and for whatever reason, non-Asian cleaners overcharged and undercleaned, like some jobs were beneath them or something.

I put an ad on Gumtree and basically was after an Asian couple, screening out other replies. I think it's just a different work ethic. We've had them for about 2 years now. While not the most pedantic cleaners, we have an easy friendly relationship with them and they are always good natured. I frequently tip them on top of their rate as a sign of appreciation. I remember during the chaotic weeks after DS had just been born, they told us not to worry about tidying up before their visit.

#14 podg

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

My cleaner walked in and just told me it'd be 3 hours not two. She leaves tidy piles of our junk around,makes  our unmade beds (changes sheets if I leave the clean ones out), washes and hangs out the towels, sheets and as much laundry as she can, and leaves an aura of clean and tidiness everywhere she goes.
She sees it as all in her job description.

I have had cleaners in the past who just cleaned around the mess.

It can be a bit of a hassle her tidying, sometimes things get lost in her tidy piles... but worth absolutely every penny.

#15 SlightlyLeftFeral

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

I used to be a cleaner on mine sites. There were rooms I would refuse to clean.

If I could not get a clear path from the door to the bed.
If they hadn't flushed the toilet and the stench had engulfed the room. Think 45+ temps, they've left their room at 5am and I get there at 2pm.

#16 Fluster

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

If it involves animal faeces, a lot of cleaners will refuse (or if they're with an agency, may HAVE to refuse) to clean.  I've known cleaners who have faced piles of dog sh*t on white carpet, tampons stuffed into mattresses and toilet basins and a shop assistant bulimic who would binge on, and vomit up (everywhere) a cheesecake at 5pm, Monday to Friday in the staff loo.  Is it possible that your friends fall into this category and are really at the point where they shouldn't be asking a third party to clean up their filth?

#17 Nataliah

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Our cleaner just asked us to pay a little more as it was taking longer than she originally estimated.  She's never made me feel judged, she's adorable.  The first time she cleaned for us the house was disgusting, she texted that arvo and apologised to me that she didn't quite get to everything.  I thought she did an amazing job.

#18 zrello

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:35 PM

If you are looking for someone to do a big clean, check your local real estate agents.  We just had our rental property trashed and left in a filthy mess, they were able to recommend a great company to do a top to bottom clean up. They may have companies that do service cleaning for them that they use & would recommend too.

#19 somila

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

Thanks for the recommendations.  Like I said, I don't think there is anything "disgusting" there, but I haven't been inside recently, so can't comment.  zrello that is a good suggestion.

#20 emmafg

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

OP, are you really looking for yourself but just can't bring yourself to own up to a really messy house? biggrin.gif No judgement, just curious original.gif

I find that Asian cleaners generally never judge and just get on with work, move things around etc. I usually tidy up before ours arrive, but if we don't have time, they often will do it, fold things nicely, stack them etc. I've tried a few cleaners before, and for whatever reason, non-Asian cleaners overcharged and undercleaned, like some jobs were beneath them or something.

I put an ad on Gumtree and basically was after an Asian couple, screening out other replies. I think it's just a different work ethic. We've had them for about 2 years now. While not the most pedantic cleaners, we have an easy friendly relationship with them and they are always good natured. I frequently tip them on top of their rate as a sign of appreciation. I remember during the chaotic weeks after DS had just been born, they told us not to worry about tidying up before their visit.

Wow.  This post is racist and I am surprised others haven't called it out.  Stereotyping based on race is never acceptable - positive or negative.

#21 CallMeFeral

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE (WinterIsComing @ 21/12/2012, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They sound nice original.gif
Our one is Asian actually. She does get the sh*ts if we leave a big pile of washing up, but the rest she seems to be ok (not happy but ok!) with.

QUOTE (podg @ 21/12/2012, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It can be a bit of a hassle her tidying, sometimes things get lost in her tidy piles... but worth absolutely every penny.

Yes ours finds random containers and fills them with the crap! Kind of bugs me because the containers of crap gradually build up, and I can't find stuff - but I know it's my own fault! laughing2.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.