WDYT? Would you let your 8 year old
travel to the US without you?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 *Lib*

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

My daughter has been offered the trip of a lifetime. My dad promised to take the grandkids to Disneyland when they were 10.  He's mid 60's. Very well, and very fit. He is going to American in June (he goes regularly) and he's just realised that it will be close to school holidays. So.....he's offered to take my 2 neices and my daughter. (Ages 7 & 2 x 8 year olds) He wants someone to go with him. I am terrified of flying, so my sister and her husband are going to go. I'm ok with that, because I'd be useless to them on the flights.

My daughter adores my dad and my sister, so she'd be ok with them. But I am so nervous for her. I want to cry thinking about it. I'm not sure how I'll get through the time without them here. I'm not going to project my fear of flying onto her, I will be very careful with that.

So do you think you could cope with your child being on the other side of the world?

#2 Great Dame

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

I would definitely let my kids go in those circumstances.  She'll have a ball.

#3 ubermum

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

If it were my dad, my sister, her husband and kids and my eldest daughter, I would let her go. I would probably loose at least 5kg while they were away through stress, but yes, she would go.

#4 MotherClucker

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Yep in a heartbeat!!

#5 melaine

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Yes, I would let my child go. No question.

#6 NoNoBoo

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

My parents took my DD to Hong Kong for 10 days when she was just about to turn 7. I was meant to go too, but was very pregnant with DS2 at the time. It was hard being away for her for so long, but she had an absolute ball and still talks about the trip now, at age 12.

#7 missjoads1234

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

I dont have an 8 year old however, even despite that i dont think i could cope withmy child so far away. If you're feeling emotional already and she hasnt left yet that might be your clue  wink.gif

Your dad sounds so generous what a lovely man! Is he paying? FWIW Disneyland (and the USA, despite all the sh*t thats happened there of late) is a wonderful place. Ive been there twice and we are consdiering spending next xmas in NY. Id seriously consider going if i were you, despite the fear of flying. If you can id consider some hypnotherapy to help you conquer the fear. If someone offered me a place to go, id be gone in a second!

#8 *LucyE*

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

YES!

#9 Libster

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

I would find a way to cope because that sounds like a fantastic opportunity for your daughter!

#10 kuhla

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

Absolutely!!

Of course you'll miss and worry about her like crazy but it will give her memories of a lifetime.

#11 rabbit hyde

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

In the circumstances you've described I wouldn't have an issue.

I can see myself potentially being in the same situation as you, I have a crippling fear of flying.  So I'd think it was great that my child wouldn't have to miss out on experiences and that I had a supportive family to fill in for me.

#12 FiveAus

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Yes, my kids regularly went overseas without me as their father lived in Malaysia. They'd travel unaccompanied and he'd take them to various places in Asia, and they had experiences I could never have given them.

#13 Pup-pup

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Absolutely!  What a great opportunity for her,  and she's with family.  It really will be a trip of a lifetime and I think you'd regret not allowing her to go. Yes I'd miss my daughter and worry a little,  but not enough to stop her going.

#14 erindiv

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

I've never been on a plane, terrified of flying, so I'd let her go original.gif

#15 amabanana

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with it.  Sure, I'd miss her horribly but what a great experience!  If you can, organise some things that you wouldn't normally get to do and have your own staycation.  happy.gif

#16 IsolaBella

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

O would let my kids go.

I would also work on my fear of flying to go too.

#17 Zesty

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

From what you have explained, I cannot think of a reason not to take up the offer. If it were just 1 adult and the 3 kids, I would have concerns regarding not being used to having 3 kids who would be overtired at times etc, but with 2 or 3 adults going, it's a non issue.

#18 *Lena*

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

If you have a great relationship with your dad and sister then yes I would let her go. its a great opportunity and if you will not fly she will prob not be able to give her the same opportunity as a child. I would let my kids go with my parents. I wouldn't with the IL's though as I don't trust them.

#19 Harmonica

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

In those circumstances, yes I would let my child go.

But why not use this opportunity to get some help to get over your phobia and enjoy the wonderful experience too?

#20 IVL

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

You can speak to your GP about your fear flying - I developed a fear of flying after I had my first DD. Really bad as I need to travel very frequently for work, like every week! I started with takaing a small dose of valium and gradually was able to stop the valium as I got used to the flying again (and always made sure I got to the airport in time for a drink at the Qantas lounge before boarding). Still not my favorite thing to do, but I cope with a stiff drink and a few deep breaths.

I would hesitate in letting your girls go, trip a life time for her! My in-laws flew over to Hong Kong with my girls just to bring them over for a visit, all was fine. Make sure you provide a letter of consent from you and your DH/partner etc as it will be required for your DD to leave the country without a parent.

#21 frozie

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Yes.. would definitely let my 8yo go under those circumstances.

#22 Jembo

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Yep would have no hesitations in those circumstances, but I would also defintely look into seeing if I could help my fear of flying so I could go along as well and experience it with my child original.gif

#23 mum201

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

I would let them go but I would also want to go too. Honestly, I can't wait for mine to be old enough to go to Disney (though I prefer Tokyo Disney). Your daughter will have so much fun and I think it would be a shame for you to miss out on. Can you do some therapy for your fear and take a whole lot of Valium?

#24 vanessa71

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

I would absolutely let my soon to be 8 year old go.

#25 EBeditor

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Yes!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.