Storing a ham leg

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 AMPSyd

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I have got a ham leg for Christmas lunch.

I know that it shouldn't be stored in the plastic and I don't have a ham bag. Anyone have any suggestions please - I'm clueless (just normally buy the prepackaged cut ham).

Thanks.

#2 bark

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

I always keep in the vac seal bag til we need it. That's how it is stored at shop/ butcher !!

#3 Golden oldie

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Pretty sure you can just use a pillowcase in the same way you'd use a ham bag.

Make sure you keep the rind for storage as well. original.gif

#4 *yassie*

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

After opening you can store it in a damp pillowcase. Same as a ham bag. Keeps the ham from drying out  original.gif

#5 amabanana

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

If using a ham bag make sure you put it in some water and vingegar first.  Rinse out the bag daily and it should last around 2 weeks stored that way.  It never lasts that long at our place though!

#6 CallMeFeral

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

WHAT is a HAM bag???

Argh! Now stressing about my ham arriving tomorrow!

#7 Golden oldie

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

It's just a calico bag that you dampen with water and vinegar to store your ham in after you've baked it. Helps it not dry out and makes it last longer in the fridge - up to 2 weeks I think (ours never lasts that long).

But, as above, you don't need a dedicated ham bag, a pillowcase does the same job.

#8 Riotproof

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

I use a pillow case doused in a bit of water and vinegar. If you aren't going to bake the ham, you can peel the rind back but not completely so you cover it over again before putting in the bag.

#9 Unatheowl

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 21/12/2012, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WHAT is a HAM bag???

Argh! Now stressing about my ham arriving tomorrow!

Haha, it's just a linen sack with a drawstring.  You need to keep it damp.  I got one from my butcher years ago when I bought a ham.  They can probably get one for you.  Other than that, a pillowcase is the same.

#10 skylark

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

I have always just used damp tea towels. Works fine.

#11 GoodGollyMolly

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Same a pp have just used a damp tea towel.

#12 CallMeFeral

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (Unatheowl @ 21/12/2012, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha, it's just a linen sack with a drawstring.  You need to keep it damp.  I got one from my butcher years ago when I bought a ham.  They can probably get one for you.  Other than that, a pillowcase is the same.

Oh cool! Got my ham today and Aussie Farmers included one - if not for you guys I'd have not had a clue wtf it was for! laughing2.gif

#13 ~Nic~

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

I use a ham bag / pillow case and according to the directions prined on the bag, I fill a container with 2 cups of water and 2 tablespoons of white vinegar, stick the ham bag in the water, then squeeze it out and stick the ham (with rind still covering as much of the ham as possible) in the bag. Should keep for up to 2 weeks if you wet it in  the water / vinegar mix about every 2 - 3 days.

#14 SlightlyLeftFeral

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for this thread.

Christmas is here for the first time and I had no clue how to store it.

#15 forus3

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:53 AM

And once all the meat is almost gone use the bone to make a yummy pea & ham soup.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.