Do you take your kids to the Dr
Every time they crack a fever

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 ~ppp~

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

HiI am literally at my GPs every week to second week with my kids. The longest break I can recall was three weeks.
To be clear I never take the kids in for a cold or gastro, only for temps of unknown cause >39C (& ear rechecks too).
I feel like a complete hypochondriac & am so sick of that waiting room! But then I feel guilty not taking them just in case!
So for a 1-3yr old , if they are 100% hydrated, eating/drinking, no vomiting or diarrhoea, no rash...... But have a temp >39C and <40.5C which is controlled with panadol/neurofen - would you take them to the GP or treat the fever and wait it out presuming its obviously some virus or his ears.
Not asking whether I should in any particular case, just interested in what the consensus is as I seem to constantly be in this situation.

#2 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

To be honest I didn't with my DS.  Unless the fever went on for more than a couple of days, or he was clearly very unwell.

The one exception to this was when his fever spiked above 42 deg C, and we rushed him to the children's hospital.  In the end they took bloods, but couldn't find anything wrong, and concluded it was viral and sent us back home.

#3 lynneyours

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (knowsnotmuch @ 21/12/2012, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HiI am literally at my GPs every week to second week with my kids. The longest break I can recall was three weeks.
To be clear I never take the kids in for a cold or gastro, only for temps of unknown cause >39C (& ear rechecks too).
I feel like a complete hypochondriac & am so sick of that waiting room! But then I feel guilty not taking them just in case!
So for a 1-3yr old , if they are 100% hydrated, eating/drinking, no vomiting or diarrhoea, no rash...... But have a temp >39C and <40.5C which is controlled with panadol/neurofen - would you take them to the GP or treat the fever and wait it out presuming its obviously some virus or his ears.
Not asking whether I should in any particular case, just interested in what the consensus is as I seem to constantly be in this situation.

no - if they were otherwise well with just a temp that was coming down with nurofen/panadol I would wait a day or two.  If they also seemed unwell, lethargic, off their food/drink etc, I'd probably take them if the temp wouldn't come down.

#4 IsolaBella

I wait three to four days if they are happy and eating etc and have no visible symptoms of anything.

#5 MyButterflyGirls

I do take mine in those situations - I always like to get their ears checked. Last time I tried to tough it out it turned out DD2 did have an ear infection. sad.gif

Since I'd been treating her at home for 3 days of fevers already, it took much longer to get better because it had really taken hold. sad.gif

Lesson learned. sad.gif

#6 sarahec

Depends, if they seemed very ill, we're not taking fluids etc I would, otherwise I would leave it a few days and see if they get over it.

#7 livvie7586

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

no i don't.  First, there is nothing worse than being stuck in a waiting room with a sick child; second, as long as my child is hydrated/taking meds etc, then in the first couple of days i see no point getting them seen.

However if it continues for more then 2-3 days, it's uncontrollable, said child is extremely listless etc, then off we go to the doctor

#8 winterlove

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

With my son I seemed to be at my doctors every few weeks, that was because he had a history of repetitive ear infections and I just wanted to be reassurred that he did not have another ear infection. I could have avoided them alot if I had the equipment to know whether it was his ears or just a fever.

It will pass - I have not really been to the doctors much this year.

#9 tres-chic

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

I'd only take them if they're still very little (12 months or less) and the fever wasn't coming down with panadol and they weren't eating or drinking ie. getting dehydrated.

That said I'm always at the doctors too for something (DS1 broken arm, DS2 mystery rashes, etc.).

#10 SilverSky

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Yes I'm a bit like that. One time my DS had a fever for a few days but was otherwise normal, if not a bit more grumpy than usual, and so I took him into the GP after umming and ahhing and almost cancelling only for the doctor to look in her ears and tell me he had a burst ear drum which required ABs.

#11 ScarfaceClaw

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

No, I'd only take him if he was unwell. I don't see the point to wait around to be told it's likely viral.

He's been to the GP once in 18 months.

#12 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

Hmm no not really. I take them for other things, like if I suspect a UTI, or they've had a nasty fall or something like that. I figure fevers are generally the bodies way of trying to beat an infection, so I'm not against fevers as such. If it was a young baby and they were dehydrated that would be a different story.

#13 123tree

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

I have two children.  One who is four and a half and he has hardly ever been to the doctor.  He has never had a fever and apart from a runny nose he has never been sick.

My other son two has been quite a few times with ear infections. I felt it was important for him to have antibiotics (with the Dr's blessing) or some kind of pain relief (with the doctors blessing).

I grew up in a family where my mother insisted anyone was sick was putting it on. Regardless of the symptoms or the amount of blood spurting from the wound. To the point of bizarre. This means I have NO idea how to look after sick kids or when to take someone to the doctor.

My husband laughs when I ring him at work and ask what to do about any discomfort my kids have.

I think if you feel it is right to take the child then that is the judgement call you make. I especially support the high fever thing.

#14 Feral-as-Meggs

QUOTE (winterlove @ 21/12/2012, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With my son I seemed to be at my doctors every few weeks, that was because he had a history of repetitive ear infections and I just wanted to be reassurred that he did not have another ear infection. I could have avoided them alot if I had the equipment to know whether it was his ears or just a fever.

Same.  One time i left it his eardrum burst.   Now he has grommets I wait a day or so, but he hasn't really been sick much.

#15 liveworkplay

No, unless it was not coming down with panadol. If I had to use pain relief for over 24 hours then I would. I have 3 kids and we probably average less then a dozen trips to the doctor a year for the 5 of us combined!

#16 FreeRangeMum

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

No I don't..., my kids can both get fevers over 40 degrees with viruses so I tend to let them ride it out.

If it was my children and they were well hydrated and had a fever of over 39 degrees I would wait 2-3 days before going to the Drs. Most of the time the fever has broken and they are on the mend by then! Unless of course they were in a significan amount of pain or floppy (in which case straight to Dr/hospy).

My Dr was great in explaining that most tonsillitis, and even half of all ear infections are viral and require no intervention original.gif

#17 HeroOfCanton

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

Not for just a fever/high temp under the circumstances you described - they are more likely to catch something in the waiting room  IMO.

#18 Froger

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

No I don't. In fact I don't even have a thermometer in my house, so I would never know their exact temperature anyway. I see no use in sitting around in a germ laden waiting room, picking up even more diseases, while I wait to be told there is nothing much that can be done anyway.

Obviously if my kids seem seriously sick, I would take them. But in making this decision I don't base it on temperature alone.

#19 Lyra

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

My daughter, no. If she is responding to Pandol and keeping some food and liquids down then I avoid the doctor

My son, probably. He has complex special needs and can go down hill really fast.

#20 IsolaBella

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

DD has had a burst ear drum twice.... But not with fever.

First signs were fluid coming out of her ear or when she was verbal saying my ear hurts.

dS2 I would take day 2-3 to get ears checked as he has hearing issues caused by fluid in ears.

#21 LifesGood

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

No. I have never taken my children to the GP for a high temp. Actually I rarely take my children to the GP for anything...I guess they never get really sick.

#22 whale-woman

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

I wouldn't take a child to the GP simply for having a fever if they were otherwise ok. DD usually chucks when she's got a temp, but if she's hydrated/ able to suck an icypole and keep that down I don't get worried.

I often apply the icecream test - if she's enthusiastic to scoff icecream she's fine. This has meant that I have a 2 yo who claims to have a fever and fakes a coughing fit everytime we drive past the icecream shop. Points for trying at least!

I've only taken DD to the GP when she had a high temp, no obvious cause,  and was drowsy/floppy/looked terrible..... Or when she's inconsolable shrieking with pain/tugging infected ears....

Edited by whale-woman, 21 December 2012 - 07:50 PM.

#23 BearBait

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

I found the RCH fever fact sheet useful.

http://www.rch.org.au/kidsinfo/fact_sheets...er_in_children/

I try to watch the child not the fever, within reason, and perform watchful waiting. It is difficult when your little ones have a fever, but I found in the early days it was always 'a virus' and the GP was really only able to reassure me fever was normal etc.

#24 2 Gorgeous Girls

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Yes I do

But only because my work requires a medical cert anytime my children are sick.

If it wasn't for work - I'd take the older one if she had any chest symptoms as well. She gets sick fast.

#25 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Rarely take my kids to the doctors. Before I had children I was told to be prepared for many visits to the doctor but they probably go twice a year if that. If they have a temp I give panadol and/or nurofen to keep it down and it doesn't seem to get better over a few days I will take them. Neither of my kids have been so sick that I have been super worried. Neither have had antiobiotics either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.