Under achiever at school

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jjbeanz

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

My daughter completed year 7 at high school this year. Her half yearly report was average so her nana offered her $20 for every "A" that she could get in her yearly report. She ended up with one in science ( got in the top 3%) and technology and a "B" for maths but was in the top 10%. So now I'm wondering if she has been a little lazy at school and could well be in the top of all her classes! She didn't enjoy history or English so therefore I think she didn't try and got "C"s where as in the past English has been her best grade! Anyone else found this with their high school child?

#2 mez70

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:40 PM

it can depend on many factors.
My DS has always been ahead since FYOS. However he truly hated being singled out, extended etc and after a couple of years his reports went form having B's and A's to all C's (in Vic C is the standard grade)
Any way after grade 2 and a huge lot of external stuff going on I said to his grade 3 teacher I am happy for him to just go with the flow etc whilst he recovered from all the anxiety etc. so grad 3 and 4 he had the smack bang average report of all c's exactly where he should be yet I knew he was capable of more..

This year he has had a teacher who truly "Got Him" found where his true talent and potential lie and has been encouraging him to branch out and excel in it and at the same time has used it as a carrot.. If his class work was neglected, falling down in standard etc then he would not be able to pursue his true talent and potential. This year he has half his report with B's working at a mid grade 6 level at things.. The talent and ability has always been there it was finding the means to encourage him to get to hit... I am thrilled he has the same teacher again next year so I am truly hoping for great things as he is so wrapped to have her and she has already lined up 1 major privilege and sought after role for him next year which ties into his passion.. My sons passion is ICT (IT computer studies etc) and has actually been showing his teacher how do do a lot of stuff and can convert work and files from Mac to PC and vice versa as well has has prepared most of the slide shows shown at who school assemblies this year and has just had the honor of doing the Grade 6 graduation 1 which was seen by all the families of our graduating students.

At our whole school assemblies the audio and visual effects are run by students on a theatre lighting and sound booth, ha and a friend have been selected to do that for the year next year so he is very excited.

Sometimes it is not laziness as such but finding a reason to try harder especially if it makes you stand out in a crowd.

#3 José

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

Not 100% sure of what ur question Is but it sounds like ur asking if children will try harder at subjects they enjoy and put more time into subjects they enjoy???
I think Lots of people do something similar  if I think about household chores I much prefer cooking to ironing.  With ironing I might put it off and try to get it done quickly. My ironing is therefore acceptable but not perfect. However as I enjoy cooking I will spend more time on it and enjoy getting it just right.
It's normal to spend more time and effort on activities we enjoy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.