how often do you do or buy things just for you

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 imamumto3

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:39 PM

I rarely do, which seems silly really.  I will see things for dh or the kids and have no second thoughts about it, but if its for me I question if I really need it .  today I indulged and bought myself a pot of jam I have been eyeing off for weeks and really enjoyed it for supper, but I feel guilty for spending $10 on jam just for me.  also things like underwear, clothes or a hair cut for me just get pushed to the bottom of the list priorities.  

maybe my new year resolution should be to make more time for me.

#2 -*meh*-

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

i used to be like this, especially when i was on a pension...

now i work and i have a partner who makes me feel like i am worth it (not saying yours doesn't but i have self esteem problems) i spend more money and time on myself...

most recently i brought myself a tablet (2nd hand and the boys can use it but it is mine) and an expensive dress instead of a cheap one... after all i am worth the time and money!

#3 Chocolate Addict

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

If it is something not too expensive I buy it when I want to. Admittedly my child gets much more than me but that is life. original.gif

I have a one hour massage once a month that is not negotiable. original.gif Have been doing that for years.

#4 Therese

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Not as much as I should. But I am getting better at it the older I get original.gif

#5 ~sydblue~

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I rarely do, and DH does it even less than I do. For example, he got a gift certificate for over $450 to a pretty pricey shop(mens boots $400). He has told me to get DD8yrs some new clothes.

#6 FiveAus

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

I hardly ever used to buy anything just for me. It's so easy for your own wants to get lost in the kids wants, and yours always come last.
Now my kids are grown up, I'm gradually starting to explore the things I want, although I usually ask for them for Christmas or birthdays. Sometimes I don't though....sometimes I just buy it!

This year I told my husband I really wanted an iPad for Christmas, but I couldn't really justify it. I have a MacBook Pro (Christmas 2 years ago), and an iPhone 4s (under contract with Telstra) and a Kindle....so an iPad seemed to be just a luxury I really didn't need. He said "Hon, you work really really hard, you've worked hard for years, if you want an iPad, we'll get you one!"

So guess what I'm getting from Santa???

#7 .Jerry.

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

Regularly.  I have time to myself each week and buy lots of things that I want.

#8 Foogle

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

Same as Jerry.  I want I buy (as does DH whenever he wants something).

#9 happening

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:18 PM

.... all the time ...... ph34r.gif

I didn't lose me when I became a wife and mother.

#10 Jane F. Jetson

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

A lot. DH and I have an amount of money we are each allowed to spend on ourselves each month - this is budgeted for. Extra-budget stuff is fine if it's discussed, but small items like treat food we don't have to discuss. Also, I have a bad habit of buying books at airports.

#11 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

All the time. In fact I wish I had more restraint.

#12 kadoodle

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Not at the moment.  I want a nice top to wear on Christmas day and I can't find a single thing I like.

Spare money is ploughed back into the business or used to pay down debits.  I grew up in a very frugal household and splurging just feels strange and decadent.

#13 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

I have a shopping problem and a huge WWE collection, need I say more.

#14 TwoHeadedGirl

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Our budget doesn't really stretch beyond essentials at the moment but even when it does it goes on the kids first, then DH and if there's anything left, me. I can't remember the last time I had my haircut or bought anything just because I wanted it.

Hopefully things will look up for us in the New Year and I might actually get a chance to look after myself too.

#15 rjflc69

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:58 PM

Kids always come first and DH second - my choice as i feel i dont need anything. I nearly always spend vouchers I receive for my birthday on the kids for Christmas presents etc  ph34r.gif (not that i disclose that to the generous people who give them to me) and the small amount of pay I receive monthly goes to pay school fees.

#16 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Often. I'm worth it. biggrin.gif

#17 Mille-Mille

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

Every weekend I usually spend too much money on myself and DD.  I don't get myself in debt but i'm not saving thats for sure.
Now I just started maternity leave and will only be getting half pay for awhile so I have to tighten up sad.gif

I love buying stuff original.gif

#18 Curly Wurly

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Almost never until recently. I really wanted to start swimming but have had a nagging injury.  I jump when the kids need to go to the doctor/physio/chiro but never for myself. I finally go myself to the physio and feel so much better for doing it, it was quite liberating actually and I am really enjoying swimming and doing something worthwhile just for me.

Edited by Curly Wurly, 21 December 2012 - 11:24 PM.

#19 *LucyE*

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

It's all about perspectives, isn't it?

I would say I regularly indulge myself - magazines, take away coffees, eating out, gourmet foods etc. However, DH regularly comments that I should treat myself more. I haven't had a hair cut in over 6 months but I haven't felt like I needed one either. I don't buy jewelry either. The last handbag I bought was about a year ago (but boy was it a doozy).

And vice versa. I would say DH rarely does/buys anything just for himself and he feels lucky that I don't mind him playing golf multiple times each week.

I think when we are feeling nourished, we don't feel like we're missing out, iykwim?

#20 -Emissary-

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

All the time.

I guess it's the plus side of not having a partner to explain why you just dropped $500 on a bag or really need that new pair of shoes that might or might look like one you already have.  wink.gif

#21 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:50 AM

It's rare, I take DS1 to the movies most holidays does that count? I love disney movies  original.gif

#22 snuffles

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

I honestly don't feel I need to usually.  I am not a 'things' person.  I buy takeaway coffee most days and I have a gym membership, they are my 'just for me' things.

I easily get overwhelmed by 'stuff', especially stuff without a purpose (as I see it), I mean, why on earth would I need more than 4 pairs of pants, LOL.  Definitely not a jewellery person either, don't wear makeup, have long hair that gets trimmed about once a year, love my greys and hate hair colour anyway.... you get the idea.

The gym membership was one of the best decisions ever, it's $15 a week and it is beyond worth it's weight in gold.  original.gif

#23 BadCat

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

I've never been much of a spender, even in my carefree single days.  I probably buy less for myself now but I think that's because there isn't much I really want.  I don't buy random stuff for the kids or DH either.

#24 Cherish

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

I buy things I want for myself all the time. But Only if we can afford it and I over think most purchases to the point where I talk myself out of them all the time.

My husband doesn't buy much for himself at all. A couple of PS3 games a year and a few cartons/bottles of grog.

#25 JRA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Whenever I want. From the op I probably would say I rarely buy things for Dh, he knows what he wants and buys it for himself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.