At home bottle blonde with yellow hair
Tips?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Duck-o-lah

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

For the longest time I had my hair regularly foiled at the hairdressers and I was so happy with how it looked. Unfortunately times are tough and the hairdresser money was the first to be slashed fromm the budget. So I tried going a more natural dark blonde/light brown but I hate it.

Despite knowing the risks I bit the bullet a few weeks ago and bought a DIY bleaching kit. The results were, predictably, a disaster! My hair was the colour of big bird  mellow.gif Watching in the mirror, I could see it needed more time, but the bleach had already been on for the maximum time and I didn't want to melt my hair. An ash blonde dye and many, many, many toning treatments later, my hair is now an acceptable shade, but still more yellow than I would like.

Any tips to achieve a lighter, less yellow shade of blonde at home? What products do you swear by?

#2 MrsLexiK

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

I only did this once but there was some frost product you used to be able to buy, not sure if you still can or not. I hate golden blonde on me so always opt for ash colour. I also used to use purple shampoo when I was blonde, not great for the budget but it kept it very ash

#3 I'veGotTheBook

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Get to a hairhouse warehouse and ask the girls there for help. I used to bleach my sisters hair and it never went yellow. It's all about the quality of the products.

#4 JustBeige

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

Duck-o-lah, I do my own home blonding and have done for about 10yrs now, when we tightened our budget.

it is trial and error with home colours.  I have used pretty much every one on the market and always come back to Loreal Nutrisse - 101 Camomille.  

You need to work out what your base colour is, to see if you are going to get the              desired result.   I am a mid brown with lots and  lots of grey now.

Also, do you remember how long the colour took when you were at the hairdressers?  I know that I always took longer than normal, so I actually leave mine on much longer than it says on the packet.

Yellow usually means you didnt leave the colour on long enough. Also, ash blonde usually comes out darker,so if you are used to a lighter blonde, then Ash blonde wont work.

Also some of them wash out quicker or fade quicker than others.

Are you wanting an all over colour or do you want to do your own streaks too?

Edited by JustBeige, 21 December 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#5 ~sydblue~

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

A friend gets a purple shampoo from just cuts that cuts down on the yellow.

#6 2anewme

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

Yep -Go the purple shampoo

#7 Leafprincess

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:48 AM

If you are doing hair dying or cutting on a budget I suggest going to a hairdressing school
For 10-20% of he normal cost you get a supervised final year student working in your hair.

Bonus is you also get the full hairdresser experience.... Mmm head massage!

There should be one in all the major cities. I know there definately is one in broadway in Sydney and one in the CBD in Brisbane.

Also when I was going through uni I worked as a hair model, FREE hairdressing  biggrin.gif

#8 Duck-o-lah

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

Thankyou for the replies!

You need to work out what your base colour is, to see if you are going to get the desired result. I am a mid brown with lots and lots of grey now.
It's a mousey dark blonde.

Also, do you remember how long the colour took when you were at the hairdressers? I know that I always took longer than normal, so I actually leave mine on much longer than it says on the packet.
Ugh, yes it always took forever. Just didn't want to risk my hair falling out on my first attempt laughing2.gif I might be braver next time.

Also, ash blonde usually comes out darker,so if you are used to a lighter blonde, then Ash blonde wont work.
Ok. I bought it in a panic, trying to find any blonde that didn't have any golden tones!

Are you wanting an all over colour or do you want to do your own streaks too?
I'd love to do my own streaks, but I'm not that brave. I have a friend who did a DIY streaking kit and let's just say it turned me off DIY streaks for life!

If you are doing hair dying or cutting on a budget I suggest going to a hairdressing school
For 10-20% of he normal cost you get a supervised final year student working in your hair.
Sweet. I'll look into that, I acutally spoke to some people who owned a hairdressing school at a business networking thing... hmmm useful!

I have been using purple shampoo religiously and I have no doubt it has helped take the yellow out over the last few weeks. I recently bought a silver toner that was on special (one of those Napro 8 wash dealies) and popped that through this morning. My hair isn't totally dry yet, but it looks like it's given my hair that final push to get rid of the yellow tones. Then again, once it's dry I might find it's all patchy and purple Tounge1.gif

#9 JustBeige

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

The mousy blonde is my natural colour too (well more grey these days laughing2.gif )  

With the Nutrisse one, I leave the roots on for 35mins, then I spread the rest of the mixture through to nearly the ends on damp0ish hair.  I leave that for about 10 mins.

If you hair hasnt been cut for awhile or you have dry ends, dont put the colour all the way through as that is when it can melt.  Always keep in mind that blonding over blonded already hair can cause the hair to melt if you leave it on too long.    Streaks are notorious for that as they dont gently colour but bleach the colour out (in home jobs).   Thats why at the hairdressers they come and check very often when you have streaks.

Mum used to go to the hairdressing school too - she found one through Tafe.

Happy for you to PM me if you have any other questions. original.gif

#10 Dixer

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

I use products from www.myhdhair.com and am so happy with how my colour has turned out. It depends on your natural colour but I use their 901 extra light ash blonde with the 40 vol developer and it looks basically the same as the sample colour photo. My natural colour is brown but it did have blonde foils in it so I think that helpled with lifting it to that nice light colour.

I also use Davroe Blonde Senses shampoo and conditioner which does a really good job of removing the slightly yellow tones I get near the roots.

#11 Angelina Ballerina

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

This reminded me of the time I dyed my high school BFFs hair blonde. It turned out a bright yellowish orange. Then we tried to tone it with magic silver white and it turned bright purple...Good times :-)

#12 snortle

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

There is a silver mousse you can buy which is incredible
I get mine from salon suppliers and they will sell to the public.

#13 jag04

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Use De Lorenzo silver shampoo.

My sister does her own hair with a shampoo used for grey/light coloured show horses. She buys it from the saddlery. Her hair always looks amazing and in great condition but I am not game enough to try it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.