Kids sleep overs

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jjbeanz

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

My kids love having their friends sleep over but it drives me insane when they won't go to sleep at a decent hour lol even after being told to be quiet!!!!
Do you expect your kids to go to sleep at a certain time when they have a friend or two over?

#2 1miss2littlemen

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

DD is still young, but yes, her and her friend go to bed at her bed time, no questions or queries, they know the rules : if you don't go straight to sleep and you play up one of you will have to sleep in another room... That usually dose it, but as I said DD is only young (just turned 4) so not sure what will happen as she gets bigger original.gif

DD is still young, but yes, her and her friend go to bed at her bed time, no questions or queries, they know the rules : if you don't go straight to sleep and you play up one of you will have to sleep in another room... That usually dose it, but as I said DD is only young (just turned 4) so not sure what will happen as she gets bigger original.gif

#3 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

Usually no, but that is why sleepovers don't happen on school nights, I am happy for them to stay up chatting in the bedroom, the only thing I don't allow is if they get silly, then I turn into grumpy mum.

#4 Anemonefish

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

My DD is 9, and when she has friends sleep over we usually get them to go to bed around 9-9.30pm, then they can stay up reading/talking until about 10pm. We do this because they'll usually be up by 6am (DD usually sleeps in when she's had a late night, but when she has friends sleep over, they wake up early).

DD had 3 friends sleep over recently and one of the friends was being silly, flailing around and kicking/hitting the two other girls (who were on either side of her), singing, etc while they were trying to go to sleep. After going in a few times and asking her to calm down, I ended up telling her that I'd have to take her home if she kept it up (that worked).

#5 pencil

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Drives me mad too. I dont' tell them to go to sleep at a certain time, but I do say "Door shut, not too loud" when I've had enough.

#6 EsmeLennox

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

It's a sleep over! It would have to be past midnight and very noisy before I'd tell them to quit it.

#7 JustBeige

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

Usually if its a non party sleepover, I would send them to bed and they would drift off chatting to each other.   This is around 8/9/10 year olds.  I am however extremely cautious with what I feed them.

For party sleepovers, I have had much success at having them on a friday night - they are completely shattered from school and drop off around 11 - 12pm.  Again I am cautious about what I serve them after about 9:30ish.

Edited by JustBeige, 22 December 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#8 Julie3Girls

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

One friend over .. I'll let them stretch out the normal bedtime, usually to watch a movie. Then into the bedroom, and I'll let them talk for a while.  I find the first sleepover or two might be hard to get them to sleep, but these days, they tend to settle down really well.

A sleepover party ... very different. I'll insist on lights out at a certain point and them leave them to it. Yes, they tend to stay up very late, giggling and talking. But as it's a pretty rare occurance, I'm never too stressed about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.