Pancakes sticking to the pan!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BeYOUtiful

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

Hey,

How do I stop my pancakes from sticking to the pan?  On occasion the first one will be semi ok but the rest are a disaster!
What are the secrets to a good stack?

Thanks

#2 JustBeige

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:56 AM

Butter or olive oil spray.

Also dont turn them too soon. Wait till the bubbles pop.

Have the pan hot but not burning.

Hopefully that will help original.gif

#3 estherfrog

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:59 AM

I melt a tablespoon of butter in the pan then add it to my pancake batter. That way you get a little bit of fat coming out from the pancake as it cooks.

#4 ~buzz~

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

I always cook them in butter that seems to stop them sticking

#5 credence

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

First of all, what sort of pan are you using? Non-stick, heave based, cast-iron...?

Secondly, what recipe are you using?

I tend to have the opposite problem to you, the first one or two are disasters, but then it gets going and it's alright.

A non-stick or cast iron pan helps. The heat needs to be at around medium, hot enough, but not too hot that they burn.

The recipe I use has quite a bit of butter in the batter and I find that this helps to ensure they don't stick. I usually start with a little melted butter smeared over the whole surface of the pan to get things going, then after 1 or 2 I don't need the butter as there is enough in the mix to prevent them from sticking.

#6 BeYOUtiful

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

Thank you for all the tips original.gif

I use a Non stick pan.  I have tried spray oil (although a Canola one) and marjarine (low fat one).

The last recipe I used was
1 1/2 cups SR flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tblspns caster sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk
60g butter (although I would have used the abovementioned marj).  Maybe that's the problem?!

Edited by ~Jane05~, 22 December 2012 - 06:14 AM.

#7 credence

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

Your recipe sounds about right so to be honest, without seeing what you're doing technique-wise, it's hard to tell what's going wrong.

Editied: I just reread your post and see you've used a low fat margarine. Try it with butter next time or full fat margarine, I'm guessing there's not enough fat to help lube everything.

Edited by credence, 22 December 2012 - 06:21 AM.

#8 Monket

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

Are you adding more butter/oil between pancakes?  The pan may need to be greased for each pancake.

#9 laridae

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

Add a dollop of butter in between each pancake - let it melt before adding the batter, but you don't have the pan so hot that the butter burns.

#10 Froger

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Do not try and make pancakes low fat! Use a normal pan and lots of butter (not a low fat spread). Put more butter in after cooking each pancake.

#11 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

Melt more butter between pancakes, as PPers have said.

#12 Jenferal

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

Cooking spray can ruin non stick coatings, so don't use it if possible!

#13 joykey

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

I second the add butter to your batter, and I also found that once I bought a Swiss Diamond pan my pancakes magically became awesome lol.

#14 *CalamityJane*

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

I have a cast iron crepe pan (I make a lot of pancakes!) and they never ever stick.  I have melted butter in the batter, but I never add butter or oil to the pan.

Even before I had the pan and just used a non stick one I found they stuck less if I only used a tiny amount of butter in the pan. I would actually just put a tiny bit in and then rub it into the pan with a paper towel.  I never added it between pancakes.  I think the secret is to have the pan nice and hot.

#15 i-candi

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

I don't put butter, marg or oil in my pancakes - kids don't know the difference.

I use a heavy based stainless steel pan. I just spray with oil but my trick is slowly heating up pan. I will put the pan on a low-medium setting without oil while I make the batter. By the time I'm ready the pan is hot enough. I find as I get toward the end of the batter I have to turn down the heat as the pan seems to get hotter. I have electric which I hate but I've got used to using, with electric it's all about trying and messing around until you get it right.

#16 BeYOUtiful

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Thanks everyone.  I think the prob is the marj and the heat like you all have mentioned.
Will test some out perhaps today.

#17 Moo point

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

I second the PPs - putting a little butter in the pan between each batch, and also turning the heat down after the first one or two as the pan can get too hot.

I didn't realise other people put so many ingredients in their pancakes - we just use a cup of SR flour, a cup of milk, one egg, and sometimes a dash of vanilla. Or replace some of the liquid with mashed banana if there's an old one floating around. So quick and easy, and no sugar. We do top with maple or golden syrup for sweetness though original.gif

Good luck making pancakes OP!

#18 joykey

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (ange_75 @ 26/12/2012, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I second the PPs - putting a little butter in the pan between each batch, and also turning the heat down after the first one or two as the pan can get too hot.

I didn't realise other people put so many ingredients in their pancakes - we just use a cup of SR flour, a cup of milk, one egg, and sometimes a dash of vanilla. Or replace some of the liquid with mashed banana if there's an old one floating around. So quick and easy, and no sugar. We do top with maple or golden syrup for sweetness though original.gif

Good luck making pancakes OP!

I do the same as you, ange_75 - cup of milk, cup of SR flour, one egg and vanilla, only I have found that adding melted butter or even a slug of oil does help with the sticking problem.

I do have a lovely Jamie Oliver recipe that I used to use that involved separating the eggs and fluffing up the white before folding through the rest of the mixture, and they made the most beautiful, thick fluffy pancakes, but not many for the effort you put in, lol.

Edited by joykey, 26 December 2012 - 09:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.