Potato Salad
Please share your favourite recipe

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 MGB

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

Hi,

Is anyone able to share their favourite potato salad recipe?

I am after something quick and easy please.

#2 FiveAus

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

Cubed, cooked potatoes, chopped boiled egg, cooked chopped bacon, fresh chopped parsley, pinch of mustard powder, salt and pepper, whole egg mayo.
Mix while still warm, refrigerate before serving.

#3 Scout26

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

I have made this a lot and its always a winner.

potatoes
mint
dill
bacon
spring onions

Dressing

1/2C sour cream
1 T white balsamic vinegar

I don't measure anthing, just guesstimate, it's pretty hard to get wrong.  Sometimes I add some cooked eggs on top too.

#4 Three Of Hearts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 22/12/2012, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cubed, cooked potatoes, chopped boiled egg, cooked chopped bacon, fresh chopped parsley, pinch of mustard powder, salt and pepper, whole egg mayo.

tthumbs.gif  I do this too, but instead of parsley I use spring onions.  The cooked bacon makes the whole thing delicious!

#5 Missmarymack

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Mine is super boring  but lovely:
Potatoes
Dill
Half whole egg mayo / half natural yogurt
Salt and pepper

If we are being extravagant I add spring onions, egg, bacon, celery

#6 Etienne

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

This is always a hit but not a healthy option:

new/baby potatoes if large chop in half
8 rashers of short cut bacon cut into strips (not too small) cooked till crispy
add to a bowl of mixed whole egg mayo and thickened cream, red onion diced, fresh chives, ground salt and pepper

I don't measure but probably half a jar or mayo and 1/4 tub of cream to a  bag of potatoes but taste along the way to make sure you have enough  mayo for that 'zing'

easy as

Edited by ~ Lucy's Mum ~, 22 December 2012 - 12:30 PM.

#7 MGB

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Yum. These sound delicious thanks for sharing.

#8 SplashingRainbows

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

This one is a bit time consuming, but tastes amazing

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/19095/pota...dill+mayonnaise

#9 Amanda_JB

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

Cooked potatoes, chopped boiled egg, cooked diced bacon, lots of pepper,sour cream and  whole egg mayo.

#10 Foogle

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Same as FiveAus but with added diced gherkins. It adds that extra special touch. original.gif

The BEST potato salad is the one that Mum makes which is basically the same as the one I do with the gherkins except she has spices from Germany that she adds and I don't know what those spices are.  She buys them from the Dutch butchery in Chch.  I must ask her tomorrow when we arrive.

Everyone that has a BBQ where she is invited asks her to make it.

Edited by Foogle, 22 December 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#11 EsmeLennox

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

I do this one:

1kg or ruby Lou or royal blue potatoes
6 hard boiled eggs
A couple of shallots
A couple of cloves of crushed garlic
4-5 rashers of bacon, diced and cooked.
Dill
Whole egg mayo
Sour cream
Dijon mustard

Peel and cube potatoes. Coat with olive oil, crushed garlic and salt and pepper. Bake in the oven until soft. Leave to cool.
Slice up the eggs and shallots, mix with cooked diced bacon. Add to the potatoes when they are cooled.

Dressing:
Cut up about half a bunch of dill finely (more or less depending on how strong you want the dill flavour) add mayo and sour cream, I use about 1/3 mayo to 2/3 sour cream. Add a good desert spoon of dijon mustard. Add to salad mixture making sure everything is well coated in dressing.

This salad is actually best made a day ahead.

Best potato salad ever.

#12 NSG

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (Scout26 @ 22/12/2012, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have made this a lot and its always a winner.

potatoes
mint
dill
bacon
spring onions

Dressing

1/2C sour cream
1 T white balsamic vinegar

I don't measure anthing, just guesstimate, it's pretty hard to get wrong.  Sometimes I add some cooked eggs on top too.

This, but swap the vinegar for a desert spoon of seeded mustard (I might try your version though!!). If I have the time I hard boil 6 eggs, chop them in half and place them around the edge of the dish.

#13 tickledpink72

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

Boiled cubed potato
crispy bacon
spring onion
whole egg mayo
sour cream

Mix while warm, refrigerate.

#14 Kiki_K

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

I do: potato, ham (Christmas ham), shallots, egg and mayo. Yum!

#15 Sunny Day

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Diced boiled potato (with skin on), Greek style yoghurt and thinly sliced shallots original.gif

-----

#16 davalli

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

My all time fav recipe is;

6 potatoes boiled & cubed with skin on (red variety)
4 chopped boiled eggs
1 sliced celery
sliced spring onions
1/2 cup natural greek style yogurt
1 teaspoon dijon mustard or more to taste
dash of red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon of chopped dill (fresh or dried)
pepper to taste

can add bacon/ham, but I find it nice as is.....enjoy!!

#17 my4beautifulboys

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

I actually made a potatoe salad last night for a party,

I used 8 med. size potato's, boiled until just soft, then added salad cream and mixed together.
Then added 1/2 a dozen cherry tomato's halfed, 1/2 Chopped red onion, Sundried tomato, then
put some fresh home grown sliced cucumber on the top.

It was really nice and it went quite quickly.  original.gif

#18 Leggy

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Another non-mayo based one:

1/4 cup olive oil
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground carraway
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
dash of salt
5 large potatoes, cooked and cubed
4 tbsp mint, chopped finely
4 tbsp coriander, chopped finely
4 tbsp parsley, chopped finely

Heat the oil and add the lemon juice, carraway, cayenne and salt. Stir.
After about 5 minutes, add the potatoes and stir till coated Warm potatoes for about 5 minutes more.
Remove from heat and toss through the herbs. Serve warm, or chill to serve later.

#19 laridae

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

This, except for no mustard, parsley or mayo.  I use light sour cream and spring onion instead.  Tastes pretty good warm also.

#20 Coops07

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

Halved or quartered potatoes with skin on, quartered egg, depending on how many persons you're feeding.

Dressing:

Whole egg mayo
Whole grain mustard
Dash (and I mean a dash) apple cider vinegar
Shallots/spring onions
Salt & pepper to taste
Sprinkle of caster sugar (optional)

Mix through while potatoes are still hot, arrange eggs on top.

Edited by Coops07, 22 December 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#21 MGB

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

These all sound fantastic. Thank you all so much.

#22 greengoddess

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

My grandmother's recipe is my favourite, though it is a calorific:

Dressing: container of pure cream, tablespoon of sugar, tablespoon of vinegar (I always used red wine vinegar), small onion finely diced. Mix together, adjust sugar/vinegar to taste. Toss just cooked potatos in the mix and leave in fridge till cold. Divine...

#23 Goggie

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

These all sound yum. Quick question though, can you make potato salad a day and a half in advance? Need to make for xmas eve but have lots to do that day and thought maybe I`d make it tomorrow if i could...

#24 Leggy

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

A couple of days ahead should be fine, just be sure to put it straight in the fridge. Also if you're making heaps, put it into 2 smaller containers for the fridge so it all cools down to non-bacteria-supporting temps quickly!

#25 Goggie

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Thanks Leggy!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.