Do you think we have to pay?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Ritaroo

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

My husband just bought me an iPad for Christmas today ( very stoked) and he paid nearly 7 hundred dollars for it (not the exact amount). He thought it was cheap for the 32 gb but paid for it outright and came home. A few hours later, we got a call from the Telstra shop saying that dh actually paid for the 16 gb, not the 32 and can they have his credit card details over the phone to fix up the extra $90 that the 32 gab costs. I had a look at the docket and it states that he has purchased a 32 gb iPad at the price he paid so the scanner or the computer somewhere wasn't right. He started to give the guy the info to pay the extra but I stopped him. My question is do you think we have to pay the extra money? I wouldn't have thought so as it is the mistake of the shop and that is the price that came up when scanned. Can't call any consumer groups as they are all closed on the weekend. Any thoughts?

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

No I would not pay the extra, especially as your receipt states the product that was purchased. Too bad, so sad for Telstra. They have to cop it on the chin.

And if they tried to force me I would complain long and loud and return the product for a full refund and buy it elsewhere.

Edited by Jemstar, 22 December 2012 - 01:58 PM.

#3 ReadySetRace

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

I would think that's their bad luck. I wouldn't give credit card details over the phone anyway.

Was there a sign in the store with the price you paid?

#4 Lil Chickens

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

I wouldn't, your receipt lists the item you paid for at the price you paid.

#5 Illiterati

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

The docket says 32gb. Your husband bought the iPad based on the price quoted or given at the time of sale. He agreed to THAT price and purchased the good based on that price and the shop agreed to sell him the good at that price as the docket shows. They cannot change the price once the sale has been made. I am surprised they are trying to. Almost sounds like a scam. I would not pay.

#6 d├ęsir d'amour

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

I wouldn't.

#7 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Receipt says he paid for the 32Gb? Then he paid for the 32Gb, not the 16Gb.

They can ask, but if they scanning system had a major error, its not your problem.

#8 hungryhippo

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

I am under the impression that if it scans at that price, then you pay that price. I certainly wouldn't be paying any extra.

#9 Cherish

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Have you looked at the actual ipad... Is it a 16GB or a 32GB?

#10 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Not me either, and certainly not from some request over the phone.  If they are serious they can put it to you in writing.

#11 tibs

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Sounds like a scam, I wouldn't be giving them my credit card number over the phone.  When someone fraudulently used my credit card it turned out to be an employee of a business I had purchased from.

#12 blackcat20

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

No way in hell; you've got what your receipt said you paid for and thats all there is to it.

#13 Ritaroo

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

Yeah checked it and it is a 32 gb. I thought that the answer would be no as I am not keen to pay but just wanted other people's thoughts. Don't think it is a scam as we live in a small country town and good faith is still alive and well. When or even if they call back, I'm going to give them a quick no.

#14 Clever Clogs

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

No, I believe they have to withdraw it from sale, at the time of the sale.

#15 epl0822

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Nope. Wouldn't pay. I am not fond of giving out my credit card details over the phone to someone on the phone who could be anybody, either.

#16 Jupiter123

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (Mar81got @ 22/12/2012, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah checked it and it is a 32 gb. I thought that the answer would be no as I am not keen to pay but just wanted other people's thoughts. Don't think it is a scam as we live in a small country town and good faith is still alive and well. When or even if they call back, I'm going to give them a quick no.

Considering they screwed up at point of sale and a quick look at the price of 32GB wifi/3G iPads at JB Hi-Fi I would definitely tell them to get stuffed!

#17 Funwith3

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

They can't make you pay. You already have the item. And especially since your receipt says 32gb...

I can't believe they had the cheek to actually call your husband and ask for extra money!!

#18 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#19 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:26 PM

Keep in mind the scanning code of practice only applies to outlets that are a member of the Australian Retailers Association.

Technology stores like telstra and optus aren't obligied to follow this code at all as they dont tend to be members of the ARA. You will need to check the company specific codes of practice when it comes to items scanning cheaper then advertised price.
I personally would be inclined to speak to the store manager or ring the customer service area of the call centre to see what resolution can be reached.

#20 FiveAus

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

The call centre can't do anything, the stores are a completely separate entity, in fact a lot of them are privately owned. They will just tell you to sort it out with the store.

#21 B.feral3

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Tell them to stick their $90. Go one further and ask for a refund then pop into Big W because I believe you will walk out with change from what you paid at the Telstra Shop.

#22 Illiterati

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Yep, I would ask for a refund before I'd pay the extra. ALL prices are negotiable. The price was agreed and the contract made when the exchange of money and goods took place.

Re: Harvey Norman - same applies. In fact they manufactured a false invoice after the exchange. You had a receipt for the good - you did not steal it. I would have told them to go ahead and call the police. What a*s*holes.

#23 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

I wonder about this because when I used to work in the bank there was a couple of times when I had given out too much cash or put too much money in someone's account which I would find out when balancing. I was always used to have to deduct the amount from the customers account. I wonder if this was some banking thing though.

Eta: we did ring the customer and let them know what was happening.

Edited by Sunnycat, 22 December 2012 - 11:12 PM.

#24 CallMeFeral

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

I'm not sure about the ethics of not paying it, but I'd certainly rather a refund than give them my business after that.

#25 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 22 December 2012 - 11:27 PM

Not a chance would I hand them another dollar.
They havent checked that their stock is scanning right, their loss.
With stuff worth so much youd think they would double check these things.

Not a chance would I hand them another dollar.
They havent checked that their stock is scanning right, their loss.
With stuff worth so much youd think they would double check these things.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.