OK that it.....frikking crackling
Cant do it

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Unatheowl

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

OK, I am officially defeated.  I simply dont understand it.  It either burns or is rubbery.  No in between, no crackling.  Yes I ve done all thesalt, scoring, rubbing with oil, not rubbing with oil, turning it up high at the beginning, turning it up high t the end of cooking.  Again now....burnt to sh*t.

I dont understand the mehcanics of what produces crackling.  Im flying blind and cant fix my mistakes.  Can someone tell me what happens to the fat and the skin in a scientific way??  THank you

#2 erindiv

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

Do you remove it, cut it up and put it back in the oven for a bit after you take the roast out?

#3 Unatheowl

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Ihave done.  Burnt the crap out of it.

I'm curretly doing it again now and half of it is black and the other half is soft and rubbery.

I am cursed.

#4 g_uzica

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Fast Ed just did a segment on crackling last night, maybe look up the BH&G website for advise.

#5 Green Door

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

I pre heat oven as high as it goes,
Pork in for 20mins
Turn it down let it cook for 25 -30 mins per 500gms
Last 10-15 mins I turn the grill in the Oven on med. Keep my eye on it.

#6 Stellajoy

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

I can try, we cook a pork roast with perfect crackling every day for our cafe.

So salt is used to dry out the skin, there is lots of water in skin cells. That's also why you score it ( more surface area to dry out) and some people don't even use salt, just rub dry.

I do think the art is all about the salt balance. Too little and you have wet rubber, too much and it drys out and burns.

DH says its all about the temperature. 2O mins at 220 degrees then down to 180 till its cooked. The thing is that you have to have a hot oven to start. A home oven might take 40 mins to heat to a proper 220.

#7 Chicky whicky

QUOTE (Unatheowl @ 22/12/2012, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, I am officially defeated.  I simply dont understand it.  It either burns or is rubbery.  No in between, no crackling.  Yes I ve done all thesalt, scoring, rubbing with oil, not rubbing with oil, turning it up high at the beginning, turning it up high t the end of cooking.  Again now....burnt to sh*t.

I dont understand the mehcanics of what produces crackling.  Im flying blind and cant fix my mistakes.  Can someone tell me what happens to the fat and the skin in a scientific way??  THank you

I feel your pain. Crackling never ever works for me no matter what I do.

#8 Unatheowl

QUOTE (Green Door @ 22/12/2012, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I pre heat oven as high as it goes,
Pork in for 20mins
Turn it down let it cook for 25 -30 mins per 500gms
Last 10-15 mins I turn the grill in the Oven on med. Keep my eye on it.

can you please explain the stages the skin goes through as it is crackling?

I have done this (numerous times) and it just burns.

My SIL has produced a perfect crackling in my oven and has stood by and watch me massacre one  She donest understand it either.  Seriously I have done it about 7 times.

#9 Feral Nicety

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

I didn't think it was even possible to achieve rubbery *and* burnt in the one piece of crackling!  Kudos!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wor...rfect-crackling is an excellent article about crackling.

#10 Molondy

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

I've made roast pork once and it was perfect. I followed Stephanie Alexander who advised to:

- heat your oven to 200
- rub a little salt and olive oil into the score marks in the rind
- cook for 20 minutes then reduce to 180 and finish it off - calculating a total of 30 minutes per 500g.

#11 NunSoFeral

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

Black on one half and rubbery on the other - sounds more like your oven is cursed.

Maybe burn some sage in "Christine the Cooker".

Appears as though you have tried every trick in the book - is your oven cooking evenly on both sides?

Other than that - clueless.

Actually, I never had a clue - my kitchen has a sign "Abandon all hope all ye who enter "

And I've been necking cooking sherry for the last hour.

#12 whydoibother

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

daughter of a butcher here-dry it, score it, rub on oil and salt and cook at about 220C for the first 15 mins then turn it down to 180C.  It works for me every time!

#13 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (Molondy @ 22/12/2012, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've made roast pork once and it was perfect. I followed Stephanie Alexander who advised to:

- heat your oven to 200
- rub a little salt and olive oil into the score marks in the rind
- cook for 20 minutes then reduce to 180 and finish it off - calculating a total of 30 minutes per 500g.

This is what I do too, but I was told to pour boiling water over it after scoring it, and before putting in salt.  I've always done this, and it typically comes out really well.

#14 Pearson

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

I have never had a problem, and have tried several ways, including putting lime juice over it.  I have never poured boiling water over it though.

#15 Unatheowl

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Balzac @ 22/12/2012, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't think it was even possible to achieve rubbery *and* burnt in the one piece of crackling!  Kudos!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wor...rfect-crackling is an excellent article about crackling.

I know right?  My sil just looks at it and shakes her head and says " how does that even happen?".  Seriusly, Ive done the boiling water thing Iva done the drying it and salting it a little and a lot.  I change the oven temp all the time to ojust in case its a little too hot or cool....not even close...

I think I will try burning sage....at least I'm good at that.

Stupid thing is I'm a really good cook.  With pactically anything else...I cant believe I can t do this.

#16 spottyladybug

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Does your oven vent steam well? You might need to slightly crack the oven door every 15 minutes so it doesn't steam - only way I can get crackling in my current oven. Dry heat is your friend for great crackling original.gif

#17 eskimoo

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

cut the skin off the pork, cut into smaller chunks, rub dry, oil and salt a little then lay it flat on a tray and put it under the grill.  Its super quick so you'll have to keep a very close eye on it and remove the pieces as they cook.

GOOD LUCK!!  original.gif

#18 Unatheowl

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (spottyladybug @ 22/12/2012, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does your oven vent steam well? You might need to slightly crack the oven door every 15 minutes so it doesn't steam - only way I can get crackling in my current oven. Dry heat is your friend for great crackling original.gif

hmm, I have never thought of this.  However, my SIL has managed to cracklt pork skin in my oven.  Im not sure whether she opened the door a lot or not.  We were looking very closely at it..

#19 Michelle4

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

I hear that water is the enemy.....  So don't use water.

My pork crackling is also hit and miss,  sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I am pretty sure I always do the same thing as most people have said which is score, pat dry really well, salt,  bit of olive oil, hot oven to start then turn down after 20 mins,

Edited by Michelle4, 22 December 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#20 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

I was on a mission to make crackling.  We had roast pork every weekend for a month.

Failed.

Followed Fast Ed's approach too.

Got out the hairdryer as well.

I have sucessfully made inedible crackling with far too much salt.  Crackled though.

#21 lamarque

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (IAmCal @ 22/12/2012, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
daughter of a butcher here-dry it, score it, rub on oil and salt and cook at about 220C for the first 15 mins then turn it down to 180C.  It works for me every time!

I was the same OP until a friend at work told me the golden rule - "not too much oil!!!"

I agree with the method above but no one says anything about the amount of oil so I use to slather it.  You only need a tablespoon.  My crackling was perfect last Christmas.

#22 Unatheowl

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (Duffy29 @ 22/12/2012, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was on a mission to make crackling.  We had roast pork every weekend for a month.

Failed.

Followed Fast Ed's approach too.

Got out the hairdryer as well.

I have sucessfully made inedible crackling with far too much salt.  Crackled though.

ahhh...how frustrating is it?  I'm thinking perhaps I have a gene missing somewhere as others seem to be confused about how hard it is and seem to be able to to do it without thinking.

#23 PreachersWife

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

Are you using frozen/defrosted meat? I generally buy bulk and freeze my meat and have never been able to do good crackling. Finally mum worked it out, you have to use fresh meat not frozen! Must change the skin somehow? I tried a fresh piece and it worked! I used the same method as PPs and was surprised at the difference.

#24 Unatheowl

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (PreachersWife @ 22/12/2012, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you using frozen/defrosted meat? I generally buy bulk and freeze my meat and have never been able to do good crackling. Finally mum worked it out, you have to use fresh meat not frozen! Must change the skin somehow? I tried a fresh piece and it worked! I used the same method as PPs and was surprised at the difference.

No, they have all been from the butcher.  Except for the piece that SIL cooked which was from Woolies.

#25 Unatheowl

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (Poet in New York @ 22/12/2012, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only thing I can think is maybe you have the crackling too close to the grill if it's burning? Maybe try a lower shelf on a lower heat, and cook for longer. Although I imagine you've already tried this.

It isnt all that close to the grill, however, my oven regulalry does its best nuclear holocaust impression.  It is a HOT oven.  I do try to compensate though with the temperature setting.  

I'm taking it though that it is ok if the skin crackles slowly??  I am struggling between getting it hot enough for it to crackle and not too hot so that it burns.  Is t a speed thing?  Does it have to crackle quicly or can it take its time?  When it is beginning to crackle successfuly, what is the first thing you will see happening on the skin?  See, I dont even know if it starting out ok!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.