Trifle help - what sherry?
or Brandy?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 feralgreenthumbs

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

As per title, what sherry or booze should be used in a trifle.

I've never made one before but this is the plan:

Jam sponge rollette placed over bottom
Sprinkle booze (I don't want it very strong)
Fruit (tinned peaches and mandarins)
Pour sloppy partially set jelly over that, then set
Custard
Whipped slightly sweetened cream (do I really need to sweeten?)
Sliced fresh peaches as decoration (if the fruit flies haven't decimated them happy.gif )
Finish off with toasted almond slivers

Sound good?

So, is sherry sherry? or are there different kinds? Is brandy nicer? Can I just buy the cheapest, does it matter?

TIA

efs.

Edited by greenthumbs, 23 December 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#2 fooiesmum

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

If you're not keen on the sherry you can just as easily use the juice from the tinned fruit to soak the jam roll.

#3 mombasa

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

I use red wine jelly to soak up the jam rolls

#4 JustBeige

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

If you want alcohol then sweet sherry is what you traditionally use.

Some people also use their fave white wine or port.

Personally I hate alcohol in cake so just use the tin juice.

Oh, I have a friend that uses baileys in hers.

#5 Chaos in stereo

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

I like orange muscat - or you could use sauternes - any dessert wine really.

I have seen trifle recipes that use Marsala - which is commonly used in Tiramisu (which really is just a fancy trifle).

Good luck OP

#6 FeRaL n ScReWeD

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

I use frangelico to soak chocolate sponge rolls, and add choc mouse. I'm a bit think out side the box ish!Hey I have Rasin toast with Vegemite on it then some melted cheese on top. So yummmm.

#7 Chicky whicky

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

I've put Cointreau in mine this year.

#8 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

Sweet Sherry.
MIL dose the Jam roll, set in jelly.  sick.gif I wouldn't dare do that for my family. Trifle dose not have jam roll or fruit in it! lol

This is what I make-
Sponge cake
Jelly
Home made custard
Cream.

Layer sponge and add the sherry over the top. I am generous with the sherry. You can hardly taste it when it soaks in.
Custard
Red and green jelly
Cream. (Sweeten means add a bit of icing sugar which I always do when whipping cream).

#9 Pearson

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Never used jam roll

Always used sponge, liberally soaked, but not so it is soggy iykwim, in Sweet Sherry
and port wine jelly
tinned fruit.  I would chop mine into bite sized pieces (easier to eat for older people)
custard.

No cream, that was just too much in our family.

I have not made a trifle since my grandmother died nearly 10 years ago.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.