Taking in ironing?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ~iMum~

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

A friend of mine has started doing some cleaning and ironing to bring in some $ over the holidays. She's doing quite well with it and loves the flexibility it offers her around her kids schedules. I don't mind ironing, and am considering taking in some ironing for the same reason. Uni starts back for me in the new year, and I'll have placement for three and a half months, so there's no point me looking for a job at this stage. I'm thinking $30/basket and $5 extra for pick up and delivery? WDYT? Would you use an ironing service? If you have, either now or previously, how do my proposed rates compare? I'm allowing and hour and a half of my time per basket an envisaging a 24 or 48 hour turn around.

#2 Feral Mozzie

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

I would definitely pay that much for someone to do our ironing - I pay our local dry cleaner $2.50 per shirt. However, I think it depends entirely on where you live. Do you live in a well to do area? Are there lots of double income households who may need to outsource? Or are there lots of single income families who are time rich but cash poor?

#3 mumto4boys

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

I have an ironing lady and she is worth her weight in gold!

I take my ironing to work in the car each Wednesday. The ironing lady gets my keys from the office, gets the ironing from my car and the following day returns the ironing to my car the same way. A few people at my workplace use the same lady, we all just have different days.

Your fee may be a little high but this could also depend on supply and demand where you are and how good a job you do.

#4 ~iMum~

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

We live in a military town, so I'm also banking on the fact I've been ironing military uniforms all my life (including own at one stage), and I know how much people hate ironing them original.gif

#5 ~Bells~

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Hey if you can stand ironing other people's clothes as well as your own I say go for it.

My mother used to do ironing for extra cash when I was at school. I think your rates are extremely reasonable. In fact it is a bargain - especially considering my mum charged a similar rate about 10 years ago, which was considered cheap.

I do have a few suggestions to make sure you are not taken advantage of:
  • Stipulate that baskets need to be level
  • If the level basket takes you more than your estimated 1.5hours because of a surplus of fiddly items, that an extra charge applies (eg $10 per extra half hour required)
  • If they want you to use starch (eg on business shirts) that they need to provide their own - otherwise that gets expensive for you
  • ensure they provide their own hangers

Obviously you should do as you think is right, but from my mums experience (which was mostly positive) a few guidelines are good to have to prevent your getting one basket piled with 2 baskets worth of clothes with the expectation that it should total at $30. Otherwise I would consider charging by the hour.

Hope it goes well! All the best.

#6 Pearson

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

$30 basket is reasonable.
$5 for pickup and delivery is reasonable

However, you need to define a basket size.

I pay my mum $30 per week to iron our clothes, (we were paying an ironing service, and this is ou average we paid them) mum is happy to iron our clothes (business clothes, kids clothes, including frills etc.  DS will also have business shirts next year for school.

#7 ~iMum~

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the advice and info original.gif

I was thinking to specify a 'basket' as one of those oval ones, and I like the pp's suggestion that clothes be folded and level with the top of the basket.

Anyhoo, am just thinking about it for now. Will see what happens after the Xmas rush is over.

#8 (feral)epg

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

Our ironing service does a $30 minimum - $2.50 per item plus $5.00 delivery / pickup fee.  We have to have it out by 7am, get it back around 5pm the next evening.

$30 / basket sounds quite cheap - I suspect some people will take advantage!

#9 halcyondays

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Our ironing service charges per item, and this works out better for us, as I don't particularly want to fold clothes to make them sit flat in the basket etc etc. We also have fairly fiddly bits of clothing- dress trousers and skirts with pleats and so forth.
If you google ironing services, a lot of companies have advertised their costs- I think $30 for a basket of business shirts is a bargain!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.