Pavlova toppings
More Christmas cooking

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Missmarymack

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

I'm taking a pav to a picnic of boxing day and my thought was to assemble it there. Can I whip the cream the day before?

And what do you put on a pav? I need some inspiration!

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

Lots of whipped cream, mixed fresh berries and pistachios. Drool...

#3 CharliMarley

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Yes, you can whip the cream the day before (and add some vanilla and sugar) and keep it in the fridge until you need it. - Yum.

#4 ~Mintie~

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

You could whip the cream the day before but it's much nicer whipped on the day of serving.
As for topping I normally do pineapple, peach, strawberries, pear. I did recently do a berry topping with blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries but I didn't like it as much as.

#5 antsy

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

One of the best ones I have eaten was topped with chopped peppermint crisp chocolate. YUM!!

#6 librablonde

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Jamie Oliver does a pav with whipped cream, tinned pears, dark chocolate ganache (chocolate melted with cream into a thick sauce) drizzled all over and chopped roasted hazelnuts sprinkled over. Looks divine original.gif

#7 cezanne

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

I cheat! Whipped cream, frozen berries and topped with passionfuit pulp in syrup.

Always gets compliments.  wink.gif

#8 I*Love*Christmas

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

I always put kiwi fruit, strawberries and passionfruit. Yum!

#9 KylieY

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

I'm doing a pavlova stack for Christmas night. Mine has grated white chocolate, shredded coconut, raspberries and passion fruit pulp. Drool!!!

#10 tickly_rain

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

I actually use Vanilla Fruche instead of cream and it's really yummy with mixed berries.

#11 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

This year on mine is sliced kiwi fruit around the outside, then sliced strawberries next then finally in the middle broken up flakes!

Yum pavlova!

And of course whipped cream!

Edited by ~THE~MAGICIAN~, 23 December 2012 - 05:05 PM.

#12 Bernard Woolley

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Tinned peaches and frozen raspberries.

#13 moose2

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

Passionfruit curd and passiofruit pulp to balance the sweetness. All on top of freshly whipped cream of course wink.gif

#14 gina70

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

I am making 2 for Christmas day.  I buy the cream already whipped (double dollop), on one I am putting on kiwi fruit and mango and the other passionfruit and peach slices.  I have raspberries in case I change my mind.

#15 #YKG

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

My mums one is whipped cream, strawberry, kiwi fruit with flake & peppermint crisp grated on top. OMG it's heaven!

#16 Bluemakede

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (TooManyToys @ 23/12/2012, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the best ones I have eaten was topped with chopped peppermint crisp chocolate. YUM!!

This what we top with most of the time (along with whipped cream, and sometimes strawberries as well).

We also do sometimes mix of fruit (strawberry, kiwi etc) and flake.

#17 Kalota

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

I put whipped cream, strawberries around the edge with little chocolate bits I'm between them, and then passion fruit drizzled over the rest!

#18 neddyteddy

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

I whip the cream and assemble just before serving.... I don't add sugar to the cream as I think the pay is sweet enough. I then add berries and fresh passionfruit pulp. I love it original.gif

#19 Missmarymack

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Thanks everyone! I love the idea of passion fruit on it. Can I use the tinned stuff if I can't get fresh passion fruit? I'm thinking of using tropical fruits now - mango, banana, passion fruit...

Thanks for the tip re: whipping the cream Mintie, I shall do it that morning original.gif

#20 Missmarymack

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (librablonde @ 23/12/2012, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jamie Oliver does a pav with whipped cream, tinned pears, dark chocolate ganache (chocolate melted with cream into a thick sauce) drizzled all over and chopped roasted hazelnuts sprinkled over. Looks divine original.gif

I've done this one before actually and it it lovely (it also has orange rind grated over it too), but it kinda feels more like a winter pav than a summer pav... Im probably a bit strange thinking that!

#21 Daisy Goat

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

I am doing two. One plain whipped cream . Strawberries around the edge wiht passion fruit in the middle.

The other I whip the cream and then add Nutella and mix together. Put on the pav then put raspberries randomly all over the top and drizzle with puréed raspberries.

#22 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

Whipped Cream (whipped on the day is best - add a little vanilla and icing sugar) and lots of Smarties!

#23 skylark

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to pavlova - passionfruit and strawberries with whipped cream is what I want to have. I will also accept mango and kiwi fruit.

#24 Therese

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

Normally passionfruit, strawberries and kiwi fruit original.gif

And whipped cream original.gif

#25 Just-one-more

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Whipped cream and fresh local raspberries. Mmmmm

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.