Is presentation everything?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 peachkoala

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

I have spent the last few hours attempting to make the ice cream cake that is on the front cover of the current SFI mag.

It is my first attempt at cake pops and ice cream cake. When I serve it on Tuesday it will look nothing like what it does in the mag. The cake pops were falling apart and I didn't have a foam thing to stick them in so they could cool once decorated. I didn't have the right size loaf pan and the biscuit base got mixed in with the ice cream.

Sigh.....am wondering if I should actually serve it. I am sure it tastes nice but the presentation is going to look like my kids did it, when it was all me sad.gif

So, is presentation everything, would you serve a cake that looked like a mess, but will prob taste really nice?

#2 amabanana

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

So long as it tastes fine.
Just say the kids made it.  wink.gif  Or cover it in berries and chocolate sauce or something.  biggrin.gif

I'm sure it will be yummy and that's the most important thing.

#3 BadCat

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'm all about the taste.  You should see some of the dodgy looking food I've served up over the years.

Besides, food tastes better when you're laughing.  laughing2.gif

#4 ubermum

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Ever heard of Eton Mess?

(that's a vote for no).

#5 peachkoala

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for your responses. After spending so long making the cake I can't be stuffed cooking dinner, so I have just ordered pizza.

My diet is so far out the window I can't see it anymore. Have been snacking on white choc bits, and white choc melts all day.  ph34r.gif

#6 Fr0g

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

A) blame it on the kids.
B) Pretend you accidentally dropped it.
C) say you made it blind-folded, because you like a challenge.

#7 Funwith3

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Can you post a photo? Or isn't it turned out, is it in the tin still til the big day?

I made an ice cream cake once, and once I turned it out, I covered it with ice magic, little silver cachous (those silver balls) and hundred and thousands. Looked amazing. Like, seriously gorgeous!! You could always do that.

#8 niggles

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

Decorate it with lollies and all will be forgiven I'm sure. Just don't put them on so early the colour seeps.

#9 Bek&H

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

i'm so tired i just misread the this thread as "is penetration everything?" LOL

but then i realised what the thread was all about and it just so happens that i made that same cake today.

do you have time to make extra cake pops for the top decoration? Target sells these cake pop maker things, they look like a sandwich press, they are $20, this is what i used they are AWESOME!. Grab a buttercake mix, it takes 5 mins to make the pops....

dip the pops in chocolate and sprinkles and then put them in a glass to set....like a flower in a vase, make sense? pop them in the fridge they dry in minutes.

Cover the top of the ice cream cake in cake pops and use some chocolate or lollies to decorate the sides.

thats if you have time though.....if not just decorate it with heaps of lollies, the brighter the better!

#10 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Taste is everything. I've served up some dodge-o-rama things which have still tasted great.

#11 Kalota

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (stopwhiningatme @ 24/12/2012, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are plenty of desserts that are fixed by dumping a punnet or two of rasberries on top.

This! My presentation when baking is usually pretty lopsided/funny looking but as long as it tastes delicious! original.gif

#12 Therese

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:32 PM

Taste is what matters original.gif

#13 50ftqueenie

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

Taste is everything.

I made the most beautiful rainbow layer cake for my DD's birthday, but cheated and used a packet mix. It looked great but tasted very ordinary. We threw half of it out. If it tasted great but looked a bit sloppy none would have gone to waste.

#14 gabbigirl

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

Reminds me of the time I made a lamb pie with sweet potato topping, it looked revolting as it all just turned to mush.  I told my 2 yo that it was orange pie ( due to the sweet potatoes topping) and she was yum yum, thank you so much mummy and devoured it all.  Just make up some fancy name for it , as a pp wrote, stick some lollies on it and people will never know what it's meant to be.

#15 (feral)epg

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

presentation only lasts until the first piece is cut.

I prefer the 'rustic' look myself.

#16 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 23/12/2012, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ever heard of Eton Mess?

I managed to stuff up a pav so badly today that even turning it into a mess won't save it. I'm sure someone else will bring a dessert. Tounge1.gif

#17 peachkoala

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Thanks, I feel better about my dessert. I will serve it up tomorrow and hope it will taste yum.

#18 Lorem ipsum

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

Good I'm glad you're going to serve it.

Anyone who critisises what it looks like doesn't get any. That should shut them up!

#19 unicorn

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 24/12/2012, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have discovered today I am no baker or builder. My gingerbread house is 50% icing, one roof piece shrank so much it is only holding because we dumped a mountain of icing on it. We hid most of the defects under more icing (snow) and mini m&ms. Tastes good though and that is what's important.

I gave up halfway through making ours and let the 7 year old take over ph34r.gif I can't take all the credit ya know.

#20 FiveAus

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Shore up the sides of the icecream cake with some chocolate biscuits....or better yet, those chocolate fingers....then dump fruit on top. Sift some icing sugar over the fruit just before serving and it will look like something from a gourmet recipe book.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.