only musicians will understand :P

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

So, this year I joined a choir.  I've been singing alto and thoroughly enjoying it.

Decided to do a duet with a fellow chorister, got some "guidance" from his vocal teacher.  Said teacher tells me I have a soprano voice.  I fiercely rebut  (who wants to be a stinky soprano!!)

Get to end of year, start getting my own lessons.  My own teacher tells me I have a soprano voice.  I give in to the inevitable, since own experiences throughout the year have convinced me I do have a decent (if untrained and consequently irregular) top vocal range.

Today I bought myself a DOUBLE CD OF SOPRANO ARIAS.  Which I am now listening to.

What has become of me??  *cue operatic wailing and gnashing of teeth*

#2 cattivo lupo

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

A soprano!  Oh Napcat, sopranos are so silly...  they, they giggle  nno.gif /

Lol  roll2.gif .  Enjoy.

#3 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

Haha.  You have gone from a sexy, sassy woman to a prissy, giggly girly.   This may assist with the change.  

http://www.stjameslex.com/CHOIR%20TEST.htm

#4 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

I'm doing Florence's part in A Model of Decorum at the next eisteddfod ninja.gif

I love that musical.  Almost as much as I love Into the Woods.

cattivo, it's not the giggling, it's the HIGH STRUNG ANXIETY that terrifies me.  Though, my new singing buddy in the soprano section is a bit gigglesome.

#5 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (meggs1 @ 23/12/2012, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha.  You have gone from a sexy, sassy woman to a prissy, giggly girly.   This may assist with the change.  

http://www.stjameslex.com/CHOIR%20TEST.htm

MY DUET PARTNER IS A BASS.  BAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#6 leisamd

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

We can be friends, I chucked a fit when placed as an alto, sopranos ftw!  Solemn dignified soprano!

We can be friends, I chucked a fit when placed as an alto, sopranos ftw!  Solemn dignified soprano!

#7 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

I love the alto section.  But in our choir, there are more altos that can sing than sopranos, so I feel compelled to help them out.  Not to mention, regular weekly practice hitting stupidly high notes will assist me in my solos, in one of which I am required to hit a Very High C.

#8 ~spirited~

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'm an alto through and through, and because the alto section is full of failed sopranos, half the time I get moved to the tenors. I know it's inevitable, my mum sings tenor these days, but I'm too young to be a tena lady goddamnit!

#9 BlondieUK

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (Quill @ 23/12/2012, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BlondieUK and Tigerfilly better get their sh*t into this thread, that's all I can say. We might need to stage some kind of intervention with the sountrack of Chess and a well hung Argentinian doing Tenor falsetto.

sad.gif

Reporting for duty.

In college, I sang in a pretty good college/chapel choir. Over the course of my four years there, I sang Alto 1/II, Soprano 1/II, and on a couple of memorable (??) occasions, I was roped into singing Tenor I when there was a nasty bug knocking out half the choir. At my singing 'peak' before the clarinet took over my life, I had a range of G below middle C to the E above the stave.

I am going to go against the flow - embrace your inner soprano. It doesn't negate your ability to sing the lower parts, or stop you from developing that part of your voice. And in my experience, singing teachers wouldn't usually push the range up unless they thought it was there for the picking.

I desperately miss singing sad.gif

Embrace it. Breathe it original.gif

And to Quill, I saw a big pffffft. and I add - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2OY1xO6Ga8 (high D!)

And.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hqnfbkxLlo    original.gif

Edited by BlondieUK, 23 December 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#10 Fyn Angelot

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

I sing tenor.  I have no sympathy.

#11 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

My range is a firm and definite bottom F to high Ab.  I can hit the C, but it's what you'd refer to as "Squeaky".

My duet part is Mrs Lovett in a Little Priest.  I get to use what we call the "Bogan Man Voice".  I sound VERY common but it's SUCH fun.

#12 BlondieUK

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

I saw Sweeney Todd earlier this year with Imelda Staunton and Michael Ball.

Drool, Quill, Drool  tongue.gif

#13 BlondieUK

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1K20U5lufg

You and me Quill.

#14 BlondieUK

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

I think that's a great idea, Quill. Your NYR for 2013 can be to teach as Tim Curry. Every lesson. See if a corset enhances correct playing posture original.gif

#15 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

Rawr TimCurry Rawrmmmmm

#16 BlondieUK

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ZbnfXEuyc

Still scares the **** out of me.

#17 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

He has an enormous mouth

#18 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

Off to the choral hall to practice my soprano solos Tounge1.gif

Kurt Weill, Mendelssohn and Martin Wesley-Smith, here I come.

#19 kadoodle

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Enjoy those high notes before pregnancy robs you of them.  And stay away from men in masks and cats called Greebo.

#20 BlondieUK

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

NapCat - one for future reference.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRG6h6H0_ho

Edited by BlondieUK, 23 December 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#21 kadoodle

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

Agnes, is that you?

#22 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (BlondieUK @ 23/12/2012, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NapCat - one for future reference.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRG6h6H0_ho

I LOVE THAT PIECE.  Have you seen it done by the boy choristers?  And the male/female operatic version?  I just need to find someone who will sing it with me!!

In sad news, tonight I could not hit the high C.  My Ab was gorgeous.  After that, however, I suspect I am lacking technique and sufficient visualisation to sound like anything other than a dying chipmunk with a cat up its a*se.

#23 BlondieUK

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

a dying chipmunk with a dead cat up it's bum?

Wow - that's almost as bad as the sounds that have been coming out of my clarinet recently...... wink.gif

NapCat do you have a favourite aria/piece that you would like to sing one day?

#24 RichardParker

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

I'm not in a choir this year= no carol concert= doesn't feel like Christmas.

Life as an alto is boring and devoid of melody. Female tenors I respect. Altos, pfft. Dime a dozen.

#25 Escapin

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

Youse all need some soprano jokes...

How many sopranos does it take to change a lightbulb?
One. She just stands there and the whole world revolves around her.

Yup, 2nd alto here, reporting for duty sir.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.