do you warm your dinner plates?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 imamumto3

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

discussing with mil how I'm going to do Christmas lunch buffet style.  she was worried that the food would get cold by the time everyone sat down and said "I hope your going to warm the plates".  i don't normally warm the dinner plates, but she does it when ever we go there to eat.

it  got me wondering, do you warm your plates for every day meals, special occasions or not at all?

#2 stardust81

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Never! I have never even considered it.

ETA - it's going to be 42 for us on Christmas Day, I don't think the plates need warming here anyway  biggrin.gif

Edited by stardust81, 23 December 2012 - 09:41 PM.

#3 R2B2

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Never. i've only ever met one person that does. she does it every dinner. she also warms her coffee mugs before making coffee.

#4 mum201

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Never. No. Waste of time.
Christmas Day is just close extended family, so we go with (gasp) plastic plates so clean up is easy.

#5 Unatheowl

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

no, but my mother does.

#6 Feral Nicety

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

DH used to.  In the winter when we lived somewhere which was actually cold.

Me,errrrrrrrrrrr, no way?

#7 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

No, would never even consider it

#8 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

yep in winter

#9 Luxe

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

My grandmother does.

#10 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Not unless it ends up warm if I heat something up in the microwave.

#11 EsmeLennox

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Erm, no. 39 degrees should probably warm them just nicely.

#12 daisyt

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

No, but my mother does too!!!.... and cracks a whamo when she comes for dinner and i haven't!!!
She also irons undies and teatowels!!!!! ohmy.gif
I,m far too busy!!!! rolleyes.gif

#13 i-candi

No but my mum did every single night!!!

#14 hoohoobump

The in-laws in the UK do - and the. Usually burn their hands taking them to the table!

Good reason to do salad and seafood for Xmas lunch.

#15 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

No warm plates here.

Why do people warm plates? I dont get it, seems rather odd.

#16 tamietamara

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

I have much better things to do with my time.  She is lucky if you are using "real" plates rather than plastic in my opinion.

#17 FeralDancesHere

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

My plates are warm when I get them out of the dishwasher (sometimes just in time for dinner). Does that count?

A lady I babysat for would warm them, even on 40 degree days which I found a bit crazy, and having to use an oven mit to take a plate to the table was an effort I could never be bothered with.

#18 Pearson

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

Only in winter, 3 plates in microwave for 1 minute takes the chill off and makes the dinner warmer longer.

#19 Feral Nicety

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

it's crazy in an Australian summer but in a cold winter in a house with dodgy heating, the food can cool down really fast and the plate can help with that.

Makes perfect sense if you can be a*sed when it is actually freaking cold.  An Australian Xmas dinner?  Not so much with the common sense.

#20 Ducky*Fuzz

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

My plates are in a drawer under the stove top, so the top one is usually warm. Don't bother with the rest though!

#21 Feral_Pooks

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

I've never heard of such a thing!

#22 ~shannon~

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

The only time I have ever warmed a plate was when it's winter and I've made something I know will go cold really quickly (eg. I love eggs for breakfast, but hate it when they go cold, so I do like to warm my plate up for eggs).

Having said that, I've never done it for a dinner party or my kids... just for myself and DH.

#23 NineFeralYears

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

We do it on very cold winter days.  I wouldn't dream of it in summer.

Why do people warm plates? I dont get it, seems rather odd.

Because if you put hot food on a very cold plate in a very cold room the food is no longer hot by the time you've got all the plates on the table.  And it's much cheaper to heat the plates than the whole room.

#24 Mariamsmum

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

I have never, ever, in my life heard of people warming up plates!
Who knew what I was missing out on all these years.

#25 Feral_Pooks

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

I've honestly never had that problem. We are meal inhalers, here, though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-smiggle-driver-thumb

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.