The Hobbit

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#2 B.feral3

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

I was... until I found out a little while ago it was 3 x 3 hour movies and now I have completely lost interest.  ph34r.gif

#3 FeralDancesHere

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (Bek+3 @ 23/12/2012, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was... until I found out a little while ago it was 3 x 3 hour movies and now I have completely lost interest.  ph34r.gif

I feel this way too, and I want to go to the movies. I have a babysitter and I never have a babysitter, but now nothing is saying watch me. sad.gif

#4 JillyJellyBean

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Cant wait. Wy would it being 3 x 3 movies be off putting? Just means we get to enjoy more of it as far as I can see.

#5 B.feral3

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

I guess Lord of the Rings was 3 X 3 hour movies but they had to cut bits out from the book to condense it down to that because the books are huge. The Hobbit is a tiny book yet they some how managed to stretch it out to 3 x 3 hour movies? I guess I just don't get why and it makes me feel exhausted thinking about sitting though it all.  blush.gif

#6 Lyra

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE (JillyJellyBean @ 23/12/2012, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cant wait. Wy would it being 3 x 3 movies be off putting? Just means we get to enjoy more of it as far as I can see.

because I don't think there is that much material there. I think it would have made an awesome 3 hour film. More does not necessarily mean better

#7 ~chiquita~

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Well I'm excited, I won't be seeing it on Boxing Day though I'll wait a couple of weeks. 3 hours? Sh*t, I struggle with movies that long in a cinema, I need an intermission. BTW, what happened to the intermission?

Edited by ~chiquita~, 24 December 2012 - 07:39 AM.

#8 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

ME!!! Also uber excited about Les Mis!

#9 Tarantara

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

I heard that 2 hours into it they are still in the shire. I expect to learn a lot about the minutiae of hobbits day-to-day existence.

However, I will be doing it in a comfy recliner, a lovely dark air conditioned room with people to bring me hot chocolate and maltesers.

I will also be accompanied by my partner, and NOT accompanied by my lovely yet somewhat high maintenance 9 month old baby.

Regardless of the movie itself, I intend to have a damn good time.

#10 katpaws

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

I feel very sad that the book has been turned into three movies and that (possible spoiler) new characters and scenes have been created, as well as bringing in characters from the LOTR books to fill in the time.

I so want to see it and enjoy it but trying not to have high expectations.

Edited by katpaws, 24 December 2012 - 07:53 AM.

#11 Sezzy1234

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:03 AM

I got tickets for vmax on the 27th.
DP asked what i wanted for christmas.... the only thing i could think of was tickets to the Hobbit.
Will be the longest i've ever been away from DS 5 months.

#12 Lyra

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

katpaws, that is exactly my issue with it all! A few reviewers have mentioned that it seems like they are treating it as prequel to LOTR. Which it is, of course. But, the book itself doesn't really have that feel to it.

#13 Kalota

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

I am so looking forward to it! I am a huge LOTR fan, I adored reading The Hobbit when I was a kid...

The only qualms I have about it, and it seems critics do too, is that Peter Jackson has decided to break it into three parts. It seems from what reviewers are saying so far, it drags on a bit because of this...

Still, I love LOTR, love Peter Jackson, and love seeing all the beautiful New Zealand scenery that I miss so much!

#14 Jenferal

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

I would like to see it, but a 3 hour film means at least 4 or 5 hours away form my 2yr old and I'm not sure we can get a sitter for that long!
We were just discussing last night how it was going to be so long, it's only a small book after all.
3 long films to me screams "MAKE ME MOAR MONIES!!! I don't have nearly enough!!"

perhaps it'll be a nice Blu Ray boxed set in a year or 2

#15 FeralDancesHere

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (Jenflea @ 24/12/2012, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
perhaps it'll be a nice Blu Ray boxed set in a year or 2

They are being released one a year so I doubt there will be a box set till 2015.

I agree with Katpaws, I don't like them rewriting a story and cant really see any reason except making more money.

#16 GamerMum

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

I am excited and highly annoyed at the same time. We are LOTR obsessed, but do you think our local cinema (which is drive-in that plays one movie a month) will play it? Nope. A week before DVD release they will. Twats.

It's 5 hours drive to the nearest cinema, 9 to the nearest decent one, and I can't take DD coz she's too little.

Waaahhhh.

#17 BugBiEz

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

I saw it and loved it! didn't feel like 3 hours (it's 2 hours 50  wink.gif  ) I didn't mind the added stuff and truth be told I'm glad it's 3 movies so it goes on for longer... I just love middle Earth <3

#18 Kalota

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (BugBiEz @ 27/12/2012, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I saw it and loved it! didn't feel like 3 hours (it's 2 hours 50  wink.gif  ) I didn't mind the added stuff and truth be told I'm glad it's 3 movies so it goes on for longer... I just love middle Earth <3

I just saw it last night and I thought the same original.gif I thought I wasn't going to like the fact that it was split into three movies, but now I am glad it is, because I have 2 more to look forward to! I thought it was different from the book, but not in a bad way. Contrary to most I didn't think it dragged on either! I really did love it. And this is coming from a huge Middle Earth fan (I have a Sting replica hanging in my lounge room...)

#19 PreachersWife

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

We saw it last night in the high frame rate (umm different) and really enjoyed it. However, it did stretch out the story and added a whole frame narrative which detracted from the story IMO. And to prove my point to DH I read the opening pages which explain why Gandalf chooses Bilbo, which is left out of the film.

And every big fight scene was completely OTT, but that's what draws the crowds I suspect!

Love the Goblin King

#20 LittleListen

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

PreachersWife - I think they will draw that part out more in the coming films. They allueded to it a little, but more to come.

I really enjoyed it as great movie storytelling. I'm not a purist - for me a book doesn't necessarily make a great film just the way it is. Yes, the two stories are being tied together in a way that is beyond what was ever intended by the author, but as movies, I like that.

I loved the movie P.S I Love You - great concept and loved the execution, but then read the book and was annoyed by the back story - I wanted the same story the movie told! You can't win with these things. The commercial movie market is different to the reading one.

Could have done without the 3D though - whose idea was 3D movies - they give me headaches. Annoying to watch!

#21 Kalota

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

I don't think the movie explained any less than the book why Gandalf chose Bilbo? I've read the book multiple times... Unless I missed something?!

ETA: I saw it in 2D! I refuse to see films like that that I'm a huge fan of in 3D! It ruins it sad.gif

Edited by Kalota, 29 December 2012 - 07:58 AM.

#22 crazyforkids

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:11 AM

cant wait to see it. do u think it will be ok to take my 7yr old?

#23 Etcetera

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

I saw it yesterday and loved it.

I think the 3d took away from the beautiful backdrops though and didn't really add very much. I found that in parts, the scenery looked out of focus??

I didn't actually realise it was 3 movies until I got to the end of the movie lol

#24 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

---

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:40 PM.

#25 Feraldadathome

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

DS9 and I saw it on Thursday. We'd contemplated taking DS5 (he's seen the first two LOTR on DVD), but very glad we didn't. Even DS9 and his friend were a bit scared in places.

A fun movie, but very drwn out compared to the book, with perhpas too much action. ANd in 3D high frame rate perhaps a little too detailed visually.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ek-houseofmagic-thumb

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.