This weeks Photography Challenge is "Something New"

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mummy26

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

With Christmas this week and the giving of gifts, I have made the theme this week "Something New". Don't limit it to gifts though,  you may have opened a new carton of milk or a new tin of coffee etc. or have a new niece/nephew etc

Now ending NYE as usual due to lack of entries

The rules:
One photo per person which has been taken this week (starting TUESDAY). Everyone is welcome to join in. Competition will start Tuesday with submissions ending the following Monday.

If you wish, please note your rating after your image:
Rating 1 Beginner (just got my camera)
Rating 2 Amateur (learning about settings)
Rating 3 Hobbyist (have a good grasp of the theory)
Rating 4 Semi Pro (improved well beyond when I started)
Rating 5 Pro/serious hobbyist (I'm well experienced and have been doing this for quite a while)

All images must be up by next MONDAY at (9pm EDST, 8pm EST, 7.30pm CST, 6pm WST) for inclusion.

Remember the EB rules state images within posts must be smaller than 500 (wide) x 470 (high) pixels and 100kb.

Challenge history for the winner:

Bokeh - mummy26
Food - rbat
Portrait - elle-M
Macro/close up - ILBB
Rule of Thirds - mummy26
Vanishing point - rbat
Patterns in nature - Jupiter123
Fun - Silverwattle
Seven - mummy26
Texture - ILBB
At Home - elle-M
Nostalgia - rbat
Reflection - Bryden
Half - Nut
Spring - millie71
Antique - elle-M
Tells a story - Ev
Postcard - raven74
Favourite things - winkwink
Long exposure - rbat
Wings - silverwattle
Sweet - rbat
Light - Skepticaemia
Wild - Mecurial
Moody - BeagleBoy
In the eye of the beholder - cat
Symmetry - JamieLee85
Serenity - winkwink
Out Of Place - Peanut
Water Drop Shot - blue4me
One - Raven74
Black & White Portrait - rbat
Red - Luckyseven
Suggestive - Abbygirl
Mostly Black/Mostly white - PrincessPinkenIt
Autumn - Superman+4Sisters
Capturing Action - Peanut
Black and white perspective - Abbygirl
Shadows - winkwink
Props - Jalex
Numbers - apocketfull
Circle - mummy26
Coke - rbat
Abstract - mummy26

Edited by mummy26, 30 December 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#2 Peanut

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas!  Here's our "Something New"!   xmas_cool.gif

New Wheels

Edited by Peanut, 31 December 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#3 :-) Bec

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

original.gif I got a new coffee machine from my IL's for Christmas. It has had quite the workout these past few days! I also got a new filter but thought using that was pushing the boundary of the theme. I will share it anyway as it is the last of my project 12, which was nature's beauty.

Morning cup of coffee by rbat75, on Flickr

Project 12 finished - 12/12 by rbat75, on Flickr

Edited by rbat, 28 December 2012 - 06:58 PM.

#4 -*meh*-

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

here is mine... beginner rating...

DS1 enjoying his new slip n slide biggrin.gif

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d48/mumo...zps2a5ccbc6.jpg

#5 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

Peanut: Love the new wheels! original.gif

rbat: I had a similar pic (not as good as yours) because DH got a new coffee machine for Xmas too. I am in love with your photo at Henley, I was down there doing some pics yesterday too and it was such a beautiful day out original.gif

meh: Yay for the slip'n'slide! Your little man looks like he's having an absolute ball on it.

Here's mine, nothing spectacular as I am all out of time or enthusiasm for the camera right now - have spent every waking minute since Christmas lunch taking photos for people but I have some beautiful shots and we are all determined to make 2013 the year of the photos - the one thing we've learnt after losing Dad is the importance of having pictures with all of us in them. It's a good thing I have a tripod so I don't have to always be behind the camera.

These are my new additions to my home, my Mummy and Baby owls. No idea why I suddenly became infatuated with owls, but they appear to be creeping into every room of my house!

Owls

Edited to correct the link - temperamental!

Edited by ~Kee~In~Hawaii~, 29 December 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#6 mummy26

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Only 4 entries?????  huh.gif   blink.gif   cry1.gif

Please, please, please guys!!!  I want more so I'm going to keep this open until tomorrow night. I'll judge it somehow, even if I have to sneak off to the toilet with my ipad...  tongue.gif

Will comment so far so I don't have to be in the bathroom too long tomorrow  - they might think something is wrong with me.

Peanut - I'm intrigued as to how bug your new wheels are?  I saw the image when you first uploaded it and didn't see the bears in the background (I thought they were kids initially). Love the composition and use of DOF

rbat - you lucky duck getting a coffee machine for Christmas, I'm so jealous. Hubby's buying one for us soon. The photo makes that coffee look so delicious which I'm sure it was.  What filter did you get (and nice sunset too)

-*meh*-  - Memories, memories, memories. We had one of those when we were kids and had so much fun. I bet it was a real hit

~Kee~In~Hawaii~ -  I love owls too. Are these candle holders?  love them original.gif

Now hoping for some new entries tomorrow...

Edited by mummy26, 30 December 2012 - 10:16 PM.

#7 Jjbeanz

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

First day using my new DSLR original.gif
Hope I did this right

My daughters new loves

Edited by Jjbeanz, 30 December 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#8 Peanut

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

The "wheels" are part of my DD's Christmas gift, the Sylvanian Families brand toy car and campervan!  This might help with the size:

#9 raven74

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Merry Xhristmas and happy new year!  Gosh been so busy!
This is a dear friends New Thing.  He's not actually due for a few weeks, and he's tiny.  
Not a great shot TBH, I've lost my phojo lately but eh, an entry is an entry!

2 by raven:74, on Flickr

Edited by raven74, 31 December 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#10 mummy26

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

Sorry on my iphone so will be doing this quickly
6 or 7 awesome entries and so hard to choose.

Have commented on a few already

Jjbeanz - very cute rabbits, well done on a great photo

Raven74 - awww, I'd love to take baby photos like that. How do you get skin looking so creamy

Came down to Peanut and Raven74. Yesterday a woman in one of the groups I belong to on Facebook lost her 3mth old son and I've been feeling sad since hearing it. Raven74, your photo really lifted my mood. What a gorgeous baby and you're the winner this week. The photo even made my daughters heart melt and she said it had to win

Well done everyone and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!!!!

#11 raven74

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Ali, I'm really sorry that your MG friend lost her child, that's devastating sad.gif   I'm glad the pic of this little guy lifted you up. This boy is very lucky to be here, he caused quite a commotion during the pregnancy and birth, firstly by trying to come at 26 weeks.
  As for the skin, I shoot it pretty hot  and I've found in newbies that staying in 2.8, MAX 3.5 helps with a softer skin look - it hides a myriad of newborn lumps and bumps! Balancing the background can be tricky so I try to shoot pretty close and do minimal cropping. The iso for this was huge (it was pretty dark inside) and I up exposure if I have to in LR and if they are bumpy apply a skin smoothing tool. If it's a bit grainy a little tweak with the reduce noise application gives it that softer look.  Pretty easy!
Thank you for the win!  
Now to ponder the next challenge...
Happy New Year ladies biggrin.gif

#12 Peanut

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Well done Raven, its a beautiful photo!  

Sorry to hear of your friends loss Ali.  sad.gif

Hope you all have a safe and happy New Year everyone!

#13 mummy26

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Thanks For sharing Raven. She wasn't really a friend so to speak but I had been following her sons progress. It's not fair when they are lost before having a chance at life

#14 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Well done Raven, such a precious picture. I opened it while out celebrating NY's last night and actually said "awwwwww" and gushed until my mother asked what I was looking at, you made her gush too! Such a cutie!

mummy26: Sorry to hear your news, it's such a tragedy when little one's leave before they get to really live. I hope your friend is doing as best as can be expected.

Happy New Year everyone original.gif

#15 MegMogandFiestyCat

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Congratulations Raven.

Sorry to hear about your Friend's loss Mummy26. Death of a child is never easy for anyone to accept.

Happy New Year everyone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.