Oddest gift
You are giving this year

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 item

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

I just wrapped up some milk arrowroot biscuits and put them in DS's Santa Sack - not because I'm stingy but because its the closest thing to junk/treat food he will eat (he only has a limited diet) and I know he'll get a kick out of scoffing bickies before breakfast.

Are you giving a loved one something wonderfully weird?

#2 skylark

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

My husband has been saying to me for a couple of weeks "We really need to buy some more salt" and I keep saying "no worries, babe, I'll sort it out" because I have bought him some Murray River pink salt flakes for christmas (to go with the Le Creuset salt pig I also got him). Today he had a mild freak out because he realised he didn't have enough salt flakes to rub down the roast pork for tomorrow, and I had to say "Don't worry, trust the universe to provide." So now he thinks I'm giving him salt for Christmas, which I sort of am, but I guess it's salt with benefits!

#3 Girlo

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

I wrapped the wooden coasters off the dining room table!!
DS is 15 months old. It's all about the unwrapping and very little about the actual gift for him so we haven't actually bought any presents - just rewrapped some of the toys he already owns and the coasters!!

#4 kirsty38

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

DD 22yo just said I wished santa would give e some cold and flu tablets so I wrapped some up for her. she has the beginnings of a cold.

#5 Buggylicious

Posted 24 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

DS asked Santa for a jar of nutella looks a bit funny wrapped up.

#6 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (item @ 24/12/2012, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just wrapped up some milk arrowroot biscuits and put them in DS's Santa Sack - not because I'm stingy but because its the closest thing to junk/treat food he will eat (he only has a limited diet) and I know he'll get a kick out of scoffing bickies before breakfast.

Are you giving a loved one something wonderfully weird?

When we were little my nan always gave each of us our own packet of biscuits and it was AWESOME. You forget how when you are a kid you don't get something like that to yourself!

QUOTE (Buggylicious @ 24/12/2012, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DS asked Santa for a jar of nutella looks a bit funny wrapped up.

They had a GIGANTIC nutella jar, must be a few kg at Costco. There were a few being bought last Thursday night, I would guess that a few of them will make their way into Christmas stockings tomorrow!

#7 Canberra Chick

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

A meerkat shaped garden gnome for DS to go with his little collection of gnomes tha the neighbour gave him when she moved down the coast.

#8 Fr0g

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

A mango-peeler for DS 11 in his stocking.

I don't know why, but he does like mangoes.

#9 cheekymonkey

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Ah bother. You just reminded me of the one thing I couldn't think of that was missing from the kids stockings. Their own pack of junky biscuits that Mummy refuses to buy. wink.gif  sad.gif

#10 RogerRabbit

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog @ 24/12/2012, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A mango-peeler for DS 11 in his stocking.

I don't know why, but he does like mangoes.

I didn't even know you could buy mango peelers, ds1 would love it and loves mangoes and I can never peel the things.

#11 jks91

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

My 18yo BIL is getting a whole carton of baked beans.  We're also getting him a gift card but my partner wanted something that he could unwrap.

He really fits the stereotypical poor uni student image, spends all his money on booze and going out and then has to ask his neighbours for toilet paper.  Once my partner (who is a manager at one of the big 2 supermarkets) heard that he went and purchased a whole carton of toilet paper when it was half price and took it over to him as a joke.  So for christmas baked beans seemed natural.

#12 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

Last Christmas when DD was 14 months, I wrapped up a box of tissues for her.
She used to take great delight in removing every single tissue from the box in use so I bought her one for herself.

#13 mintpatty

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

My 10 year old DD is getting a pair of dirty second hand ballet pointe shoes. They have however, been worn and signed by her favourite ballerina, Madeleine Eastoe  wink.gif

#14 FiveAus

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Nothing really weird, but my eldest daughter (aged 23) doesn't think she's getting any presents from us this year. She borrowed a fairly sizeable chunk of money from me during the year and couldn't pay it back, so we agreed I'd not buy her a birthday present or a Christmas present and that would be the repayment done.

So....I'm a mum. How could I buy stuff for the others and not for her? So she's getting presents. A Neil Perry cookbook, a Swarovski crystal bracelet, an iTunes voucher, some kitchen gadgets and a huge hamper I made for her full of baking goods.....flours, sugars, icing decorations, cooking chocolates and bits, flavourings and colourings.....she loves messing in the kitchen so this lot will keep her busy.

#15 snuffles

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

DH bought this golf gadget that you point at things, and it tells you how far away they are.  That's his Chrissy gift from me... it cost nearly $400!!!

#16 adl

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

I got DH a tupperware beetroot container , old style off ebay , as he hated the new one to be fair the lid didnt stay on .... He will be thrilled ... His family will think i am weird
He is also getting a kindle original.gif

#17 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 24/12/2012, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nothing really weird, but my eldest daughter (aged 23) doesn't think she's getting any presents from us this year. She borrowed a fairly sizeable chunk of money from me during the year and couldn't pay it back, so we agreed I'd not buy her a birthday present or a Christmas present and that would be the repayment done.

So....I'm a mum. How could I buy stuff for the others and not for her? So she's getting presents. A Neil Perry cookbook, a Swarovski crystal bracelet, an iTunes voucher, some kitchen gadgets and a huge hamper I made for her full of baking goods.....flours, sugars, icing decorations, cooking chocolates and bits, flavourings and colourings.....she loves messing in the kitchen so this lot will keep her busy.

that is so sweet of you wub.gif

#18 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

DH is getting a candle wick trimmer. It's a lovely long-handled silver one in a pretty box. He will love it.

#19 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (PussyDids @ 24/12/2012, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They had a GIGANTIC nutella jar, must be a few kg at Costco. There were a few being bought last Thursday night, I would guess that a few of them will make their way into Christmas stockings tomorrow!

I saw this last week at costco. I took a pic and put it on facebook. It's 5kg however was $50 but they were walking out the store (propably more novelty value then anything lol)

#20 Nosmas

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:55 AM

5kg of nutella ohmy.gif i bought the 600g one from big w for dd13 stocking, as it is something she loves but we rarely purchase.

#21 CupOfCoffee

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:01 AM

Oh... I saw one of those jars in the crepe place near work.  I wondered where she got it.

I am getting my parents (72, and 79) a pair of paintball guns  laugh.gif

(Like me, they never grew up, and will have so much fun).

#22 *JJ*

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

An empty camera box to our 5 year old dd.

That will teach me for not checking prior to leaving the store and before driving home!

#23 Phoenix Blue

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

Just got my present from DH. It's one of those cameras you affix to your helmet to film your stunts when you're a super duper bike riding nut, or do other extreme sports like bungy jumping...

I don't do extreme sports, or even ride further than to school with the kids... I have 3 kids, one who is only 7 months old. When on EARTH am I going to affix a camera to myself to film my extreme life to put on youtube...

"Yep, here I am changing another nappy, and this is me getting up at 3am to resettle the baby... watch this crazy move as I shove a boob in her mouth..."

Strangest, weirdest gift ever... cannot even comprehend how he put me and this gift in the same thought...

#24 Single.mum.nz

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

Phoenix blue... That's fantastic!

#25 Cherubs

Posted 25 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

LOL not a Christmas present but mum made me go  mellow.gif last night, she gave me a stack of bright red 'very good cotton pillow cases' they all have 'Stock Clearance, Forty Winks' on them ROFL, apparently them gave them to her free when she bought her new doona cover.......no sh*t Ma LMAO.  DH who sweats heaps in bed said he would use them so he doesn't ruin any more of good ones biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.