The Mummy Presents

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FiveAus

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

A few years ago, I inadvertently started a new Christmas present tradition. When my kids were small, they always got a stocking full of lollies and chocolates from Santa and I continued that through their teenage years and into adulthood.
But a few years ago, two of them who'd moved out and were living with partners were really struggling to make ends meet, so I ditched the stockings and made each one a hamper of non- perishable food items. I tried to include sauces, pasta and rice they could use to stretch a meat dish with, snacks, condiments, breakfast foods, a few little luxuries, drink mixes etc. The kids loved them, because a lot of it was stuff they couldn't normally afford for themselves. One of them told me later they hadn't eaten so well since they'd set up house on their own.
I've done it each year since, only for those who will be here on Christmas Day as they're too heavy to send interstate.  The kids get so excited bout them and they've dubbed them "The Mummy Presents". Today's were tailored to their current lifestyles......newly single son has a few days of cricket watching planned, so he got a whole lot of snack/junk food and seeing as he's setting up his own flat, his hamper was a kitchen bin. Daughter with food intolerances got a lot of gluten free stuff with some snack foods for her tv loving boyfriend. Their house is old and pretty so she got hers in a pretty painted tin bucket.
Other daughter loves baking so hers was all flours, sugars, flavourings, icing decorations  and other baking stuff. She was the most excited of all. Hers was all stacked on a baking tray.
Next year I think I'll try for some international themed hampers.

Edited by FiveAus, 25 December 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#2 Stellajoy

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

I would love that as a present!

#3 R2B2

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

What a great idea! you have lucky kids original.gif

#4 FiveAus

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

They get these as extra to their normal presents. The baking daughter also got a Neil Perry cookbook, other kitchen goods, a bracelet and an iTunes voucher. Single son got saucepans, dinner set etc.
They get very indulged at Christmas. Just because they're grown up doesn't mean their mum cant spoil them once a year.

Edited by FiveAus, 25 December 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#5 kabailz13

Posted 25 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

My Mum did this in the past too original.gif

Was very helpful

#6 tamietamara

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Wish u were my mum!!! I am lucky for my parents to remember to ring me or acknowledge the day for me and my children sad.gif u r awesome!

#7 Mummy Em

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

Great idea! We live on the outskirts of a rural area known for wine and other produce so our adult presents were foodstuffs literally from our doorstep! Infused honey, chocolate, wine, olive oil, nougat etc.

#8 baddmammajamma

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

What a lovely tradition!

#9 Swahili

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

Cool.

#10 vitaechel

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

What a fantastic present! I love it! biggrin.gif

#11 JustBeige

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

Mum did that for us this year too! It was awesome biggrin.gif

We also did similar to her and made up a hamper of all her usual cosmetics and bathroom/shower stuff.   Its nice to get her something that we definitely knows she uses and it also helps a tiny bit with her budget if she doesnt need to buy shampoos and face creams.

#12 Sallystwo

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

What a great idea - I will file that away for when mine move out!

#13 HubbaBubbaMumma

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:15 AM

My kids haven't left home yet, but last year my DD got a wicker basket with an easel, sketch pads, charcoals, pencils etc. she adored it!

I think that your idea is a fabulous one!

#14 FiveAus

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

Ooooh, more ideas for future years! Yes we live rural, in a "foodie" area, I never thought of a local produce one but that would make a nice project....and interesting, hunting out all the boutique food places around here.

#15 ~Karla~

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

My SIL did this for me 11 years ago when I got my first house (I had been living on campus at Uni prior to that so didn't need anything). She had spent months hunting around finding dinner sets, glasses, pots and pans and kitchen utensils etc on special. I still have and use most of it, because most of it was such good quality.

She was the best SIL ever. It wasn't really any easier yesterday than it was the year before to not have her with us. It's like there's a vital part of Christmas missing without her. sad.gif

#16 Chelli

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

That sounds lovely and very well planned. Your kids are lucky original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.