Potatoes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 enigma

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

Can you parboil potatoes and then cook them either a day later or a few hours later.
Going o my sisters place for a roast lunch and I said I would bring the Veges. We live 1.5hrs away so thought if I could cook them before hand all she has to do is add them to the dish half hour before the meat is cooked.
Is it safe to do and what's the best way to transport them?

#2 Mousky

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Yep. Best way to cook roast potatoes. Par boil, drain thoroughly, score with a fork. Leave out uncovered until cooled down then place uncovered in fridge. They get a nice crust that crisps up really well when roasted.

#3 enigma

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

Thank you for that wink.gif think I will need to try some first lol

#4 Coffeegirl

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

That's how we did our taters for Christmas.

DH parbolied them then let them drain, the put them covered in the fridge overnight.  On Chrissy morning we pulled them out to bring them back to room tem.  We scuffed them up a bit and shook seasoned flour over them. We then heated duck fat in a foil tray in a hot oven,  bunged the taters in and 1/2 hour later had nicely roasted spuds.  

Easy.

OP, i'd just boil them up before you go and then trasnsport them in a foli tray.  You can them whack them straight into a hot oven.   Being potatoes, I would't be too worried about keeping them hot or cool on the trip.

#5 enigma

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Thank you wink.gif I really really want roast potato now!!!!

#6 Tobias'smum

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

its the only way dh cooks roast potato he tells me off of i dont boil them for a bit first

#7 haras1972

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

we do it similarly to Coffegirl - parboil, shake them very roughly in the colander to get them all battered etc.

I read somewhere that potatoes roast better when they are really dry, so often I'll do them in the morning and leave them in the fridge to dry completely.

We shake them in a half/half combo of semolina/Parmesan, sometimes add some dried oregeno/rosemary/cumin etc depending on what meal they are accompanying.

Hot pan in the oven, with hot duck fat or olive oil, or up against the roasting meat, excellent way of doing them.

#8 Nora.

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

I read somewhere that potatoes roast better when they are really dry, so often I'll do them in the morning and leave them in the fridge to dry completely.

I think that's true. I parboiled mine yesterday, shook them up in the colander and then left them sitting in the tray for a couple of hours (I wanted to do as much prep as I could in the morning). They were the nicest roast potatoes I've ever had.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.