WDYT would be an excellent but unusual Christmas?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 snuffles

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

Planning for next year.  Yes, I am enthusiastic!

What would you do if you could do ANYTHING??

Budget, laws of physics etc not withstanding.  Go nuts!!

#2 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Fly to Canada for a white Christmas.

Maybe a cruise to Hawaii. No cooking or cleaning. Just lazing by the pool and then pigging out on the Christmas lunch buffet.

#3 Mose

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

Switzerland.  It's on for December/January 2016.  Just don't tell the ILs yet!

#4 Libertine

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:40 AM

Snowboarding in Austria or French Alps. We did it pre kids and it was fantastic!

Boarding all day, home for hot bath and après drinks in front of a log fire, great food and more snow than you could wish for. Bliss.

#5 elmo_mum

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

norway - ice hotel,  dog sledding and the northern lights!

#6 MoonPie

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

New York/USA white Christmas.

#7 blueberrymuffin

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Flying DH's small family all to Canada to have Christmas with my extended family (they have all never met). At my grandma's house (the family home on that side for generations) before it is sold.

Edited by blueberrymuffin, 26 December 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#8 FeralBob!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Either somewhere snowy like the Austrian alps where we could go skiing or skating and enjoy a traditional Christmas, or else hiring a villa in a warm, non Christian country so I could just laze around a pool and just avoid the whole thing altogether!

#9 dalet

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Last year we spent Christmas in the USA at Disneyland, beautiful beautiful Christmas decorations and shows, fantastic parade, magical 'snow' falling after the spectacular fireworks on Christmas eve, Christmas dinner with Mickey and friends. It was crazy busy but lovely and such fun for the kids and adults.
This year was Christmas at home with all the organisation, visiting, stacks of presents, big cooked lunch etc and we all said, ohhhhh remember last year!!!

#10 Expelliarmus

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

Definitely want to have a white Christmas one day original.gif

#11 skae

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Perfect temperatures without the blinding sun, no flies, a stomach that never gets full, and a personal chef to cook everything I've ever wanted to try at Christmas time. A bikini body for when we are swimming Tounge1.gif Wonderful friends and family together all day, sharing a beautiful day together.

#12 amabanana

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

White Christmas in Europe.  So much more atmospheric IMO.  One Christmas we got a little cottage out in the woods and went to a church service by horse drawn sled. With bells!  It snowed on Christmas eve and we had an open fire, a real Christmas tree and it was just so lovely.

#13 alphamummy

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

We went to the Melbourne zoo. It wasn't too busy but there were enough people around to make it a reasonable crowd but there weren't enough that any line took more than 5 minutes. It was mostly foreign tourists, a few Jewish groups and maybe one or two families celebrating there to avoid the Christmas drama of whose house (like we were).

Edited by alphamummy, 26 December 2012 - 12:17 PM.

#14 baddmammajamma

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

I love the idea of a White Christmas, but like howdo, I would only want it for one day (snowy locations = increased chance of flight delays/storms/etc.) I'm not a cold weather person.

If cost were not an issue, I'd hop a plane to Hawaii -- gorgeous weather, gorgeous scenery, plus access to great American shopping.

#15 désir d'amour

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

XMas 2014 is intending to be a European River Cruise, with Christmas in Vienna.

#16 wilding

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

We'll be in Koh Samui next Christmas visiting family. Snorkling all day, fresh coconuts and bliss.

#17 LittleBear

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Somewhere warm and tropical - Say Maldives or Tahiti... One of those villas that you have to walk along the boardwalk to get to them....and they are over tropical water.  I'd like simple food provided original.gif  Occasional sleep in, get up and go for a swim with the kids etc...

I also like the romantic notion of a snowy, white Christmas but I don't think the fantasy would live up to reality.  

Amanda

#18 Feral_Pooks

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

I would like to wake up early to see what Santa brought us. Eat pancakes. Then, throw bags in the back of the car. We go to a really spectacular Christmas service, in an ornate and theatrical church. Then travel to the coast, for lunch by the sea, just DS, DP and I, on some quiet beach. Spend the afternoon in the water. Fresh seafood and hot crunchy chips. Nearby, hire a cabin or something where we can drink wine and dance to songs from Grease and Rocky Horror and teach DS the moves. Set up beds in front of the tiny TV and watch one of those films. Do shadow puppets. Sleep.

#19 MrsJP

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

We are in Whistler for Christmas this year.  Christmas Eve included outdoor ice skating and a horse drawn sleigh ride through the snow.  Today was waffles for breakfast, family skiing/boarding followed by a soak in the hot tub then out to dinner at one of the beautiful local restaurants.  We returned home just in time to join our neighbors as they were setting off fireworks. Best Christmas ever!

#20 Harmonica

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

I would take the family to the Santa Claus Village in Finland/Lapland at Rovaniemi.

http://www.santaclausvillage.info/

#21 Propaganda

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

A white Christmas, definitely, though it's not at all unusual for everyone, just those of us who haven't experienced it before, and spend too many hours watching American Christmas films.

Somewhere where the locals go all out would be nice.

I can think of better holidays, but not for Christmas.

#22 75etd

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Another one who would love to spend the day with the children in Lapland.  Hoping to do this in a couple of years - obviously once we win lotto!

#23 Lokum

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Imhad a white christmas in scotland. It was exciting, and we went to the local pub on xmas eve and got drunk and sang karaoke with the locals.... But snow is annoying and cold and wet... So once was enough for me.
Ive also had one on a small fijian island, swimming, salad and seafood lunch, then beach, snooze etc. That one id be happy to repeat...
Also hosted a large expat christmas lunch in China which was boozy and fun. But all these were pre-kids.

Yesterday was pretty ace to have DS1 discover his new sandpit, then spend the day being showered in gifts and adored by rellies and hooning around with cousins. I can have a few more of these before i feel the need to do something more exotic again.

#24 seepi

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

A friend who spent christmas alone one year got a whole box of mangoes, pink champagne and french brandy and some chocolates, put the tv on the verandah and watched star wars movies all day. I was quite impressed!

#25 Feralishous

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

all my friends and family in a private resort, with everything catered, excellent food, massages etc all day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.