Jump to content

Notice to Vacate

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Phascogale

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

I'm just wondering whether anyone knows whether it's acceptable to send a 28 day notice to vacate a rental property via email.  Or does it have to be written on paper?

I've read the tenants union fact sheets and it doesn't mention email, only talks about sending it registered post.  There's nothing there that says you can't do it.

The realestate agency is shut till the second of Jan so I can't ask them (it's probably not appropriate to send a message to the emergency mobile number they have provided either).  Actually can you use this period as part of your 28 days notice that the agent is shut (we don't need to, just wondering really)?

I'm in Vic.

#2 elmo_mum

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

registered post only - as the tenant can (legally) claim that they didnt receive it!

#3 Corella

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

Are you giving notice? Then no it needs to be in writing either in person or registered post.

#4 Phascogale

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:59 AM


Yes we are giving notice.

Email is in writing ie not verbal which is why I thought it might be okay.

registered post only - as the tenant can (legally) claim that they didnt receive it!
I'm guessing you mean landlord!

How does the registered post work timewise if I send it tomorrow (as post office is open) but the REA, at earliest, won't get it till Jan 2 - seeing as the postie is going to try and deliver it earlier than the 2nd.  I'm only concerned that our 28 day notice is going to turn into an extra couple of days (or so) of needing to pay extra rent.

#5 lilmissmars

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

For vacating you can email the REA.
You just state your 28 days stars as of today's date and you will hand the keys in on x date.

#6 José

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:05 PM

I could be wrong but I believe you need to factor in a couple of days for postage. I would imagine you would need to add extra time for public holidays.

#7 elmo_mum

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

sorry i read it the wrong way..

if you THE TENANT are gioving notice, you can email the rea and state - from x date i am giving 28 days notice...... as its a while lot of public hols, call them tomorrow to make sure that they are open 9and will accept it - some still may want a hard copy...

just needs to be hand delivered, but sight it and have it "noted" the date it was received...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

  • Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

    Win a Fairytale experience

    To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

  • ebk-canonD30-thumb

    Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

    Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

  • The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

    Movie review: The Boxtrolls

    Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

  • Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

    'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

    Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

  • quotes-320

    Wise words from kids movies

    The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

  • yoda

    31 iconic family films from the 1980s

    If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.