Pot smoking neighbours
Wwyd?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Ella Minnow Pea

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

We bought a unit/townhouse a year ago, which is one of five all attached to each other as townhouses often are. We're not terribly social and apart from the old couple on our right, haven't anything more to do with our neighbours than the standard polite smile and hello when we pass.
The couple on our left are renting, and have been here longer than us. And they love pot. If you ever wanted to scare someone off smoking pot, have them come to our house in the morning and hear the lung-and-throat destroying coughing that we are treated to. The walls are very thick and apart from the occasional high-as-a-kite singing or post 20 cans of bourbon-and-coke screaming matches (the cans end up in the communal recycling so we know their drink of choice biggrin.gif) we don't notice them, so the coughing has to be pretty loud.
None of this is a problem, we don't care what substances people use in their own houses, and the coughing makes us laugh. The problem is that pot smoke travels.
So we'll be in our downstairs kitchen with a window open and they'll be in their backyard and in comes the smell of pot smoke. Or we'll be upstairs watching tv with a window ajar and they'll be in their place with a window open and in comes the pot smoke. So we keep having to close our windows as we cannot stand the smell, and I'm pregnant and don't want to get inadvertantly stoned. We have recently installed new double glazed windows which have excellent insulation, but this means it can get a bit airless if we can't open a window on a warm day.
Which brings us to the crux of the matter; the impending baby. I'm 39+1 so baby will be here any second now (i hope). We had such high hopes of being able to sit in our backyard on a sunny afternoon with our LO and enjoy ourselves, or to just be able to have our windows open, but now I'm worried we'll be hiding the baby from becoming an underage stoner until our neighbours either actually cough up their lungs or leave.
I'm terrified of approaching them directly, as I find any kind of confrontation scary, and even the politest intro could be misinterpreted in this situation. I'm tempted to contact their landlord but a)don't really wish them ill and b) what would/could the landlord do anyway?
So, oh wise eb, what would you do?

#2 ~chiquita~

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

Ugh, hydro stinks. I know you don't want to but I'd approach them and let them know you can smell it and that it's a problem for you. Maybe they can smoke in a room where it's not going to waft into your place?

I had pot smoking neighbours for over 2 years, they only moved out a couple of months ago. We live in a semi detached duplex so I assume they were smoking in their laundry because I could only smell it when I went into my laundry so I just used to close the door. It was very strong but didn't happen every day otherwise I would've had a chat to them.

Good Luck!

#3 Niamh23

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

If you're mainly worried about getting stoned from the smell - it's very unlikely. You can get a mild "contact high" if you are inhaling the actual smoke, but just the smell on it's own won't do anything.

#4 Ella Minnow Pea

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (Niamh23 @ 26/12/2012, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you're mainly worried about getting stoned from the smell - it's very unlikely. You can get a mild "contact high" if you are inhaling the actual smoke, but just the smell on it's own won't do anything.

Nah, I was joking about getting high. It's the overpowering, headache-inducing smell that's the problem.

#5 Jenferal

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

I wouldn't want a baby subjected to that though.
Honestly, if it is affecting you I'd contact them politely and their landlord as well.

#6 NunSoFeral

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Ramp up the civilities a little over a week and then let it drop that another of your neighbours is a cop.
That may induce some window and door closing paranoia.
Or that the local servo is closing down.

#7 FERALfoxgirls

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

What they are doing is not really legal (not sure of states differing laws or where you are located). But if i were them, i would prefer a nice warning from yourself, rather than having landlord or authorities involved. They would be pretty foolish to ignore you at this point in case you went further.
If your worried about bad feeling maybe just pop a note with no name in their mail box??

I would hate having the smell all the time, i'm not a prude, but the smell is just yucky IMHO.
good luck.

#8 ~~Cleopatra~~

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

b) what would/could the landlord do anyway?

evict them

#9 Feral_Pooks

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Is there a time of day in particular that it's a problem? Maybe you could ask them not to smoke outside that time of day, coz you have asthma or some such and need to hang washing or paint your toenails or whatever that time of day.

I'm not really familiar with pot really creating the amount of smoke or stench that appears to be involved here. Perhaps some strategically located ambipur or something would help.

I can't imagine that a bit of smell will do you or baby any particular damage apart from being a little unpleasant, but this will all be put in perspective by the contents of said baby's nappies soon enough.

Personally, I would be weighing it up and deciding its better to remain on good terms with these neighbours than risk getting them sh*tty with you etc. etc. and I can think of far worse things than the smell of some ganj.

#10 elizabethany

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

1) politely mention it in a non-judgemental way, ask them to use the side of the unit facing away from you.
2) have a chat with the landlord
3) call the cops.

It really depends how nuclear you want to get, and how much of a problem it is for you.

#11 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

I don't get why everyone suggests being polite, and tiptoeing around the issue or putting up with it. They are using illegal drugs which are invading their neighbours home. I'd call the RE and police.

#12 opethmum

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:25 PM

I would call the cops when you notice they are smoking, perhaps they will be caught red handed and arrested on the spot. I would not let my newborn be subjected to the smell.

#13 ALEJA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

I wouldn't have contact with them at all!!  I'd call the police as well.

And the experience I've had with addicted pot smokers is when they have their first drug raid they love to fight with whoever they think dobbed them in.

Being that you have put up with it for this long I am sure if you do call the cops your neighbours will not think the call came from you!

#14 *melrose*

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

Go to the police!

#15 ChunkyChook

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Oh FFS not all pot smokers are straight from the commish of Sunnyvale.

Let them know it is an issue, if approach them in a nice manner about it and explain what's happening. If they get rude and aggressive then take it to the next level.

Oh and the police dont really take pot smoking really really seriously unless there is an underlying issue/you are Frankys of the world. They will confiscate anything you have, make you tip out your mix and not even fine you half the time. They are smoking weed, not running a meth lab.

#16 raindotdot

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

I sympathise with you! We live in a house and while my neighbours fence line are a good 5m away from our windows, they are non stop chain smokers - front verandah, back balcony, side door OMG. I constantly run around the house opening and closing the windows when I get even the faintest whiff.

Unfortunately, ciggies are legal and they are not renters so nothing I can do. You have the option of dobbing them in. Good luck!

#17 ALEJA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

Why should the OP have to deal with something that is being done illegally. Meth or pot...neither are legal no matter if one is worse then the other!!!

Edited by ALEJA, 26 December 2012 - 09:51 PM.

#18 Feral_Pooks

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (SCARFACE CLAW @ 26/12/2012, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't get why everyone suggests being polite, and tiptoeing around the issue or putting up with it. They are using illegal drugs which are invading their neighbours home. I'd call the RE and police.

And then when nothing happens (probably won't, except they might get a call about it) and if they figure out you've complained, then what are you left with.

QUOTE (opethmum @ 26/12/2012, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would call the cops when you notice they are smoking, perhaps they will be caught red handed and arrested on the spot. I would not let my newborn be subjected to the smell.

That is just never going to happen. Cops don't bust a joint because someone is... Well... Busting a joint. You're lucky to get police attention for domestic violence or damage to your property. If they popped in to every house where people were smoking pot, they'd have no resources for anything else. Growing on a biggish scale, and dealing is one thing, using is really not on the radar generally.

I would advise the OP to have realistic look at the potential scenarios and ask herself which is going to leave her in a better situation.

As like I said. I really can't imagine there are plumes of smoke and an overriding stench resulting in a newborn with the munchies.

#19 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE (Pooks_ @ 26/12/2012, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And then when nothing happens (probably won't, except they might get a call about it) and if they figure out you've complained, then what are you left with.

But if you approach them and they do nothing, you're forced to take it higher and then they KNOW you've complained. I'd rather just go straight over their heads. Their problem for using drugs in the first place wink.gif

Edit for spelling: Used "hire" instead of "higher"? I must be tired!

Edited by SCARFACE CLAW, 26 December 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#20 ALEJA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

Wow I never knew so many EB member became experts in what cops would do in such situations..makes me wonder.

#21 ChunkyChook

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

I know......imagine if some of the parents on the forum had actually used drugs in the past....or been in trouble with police.

#22 protart roflcoptor

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

Oh didn't you know? On EB alcohol is the Devil's nectar but pot is perfectly acceptable and ok.

#23 ALEJA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Explains everything!

#24 Feral_Pooks

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (SCARFACE CLAW @ 26/12/2012, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But if you approach them and they do nothing, you're forced to take it hire and then they KNOW you've complained. I'd rather just go straight over their heads. Their problem for using drugs in the first place wink.gif

Yep, that's very true too.

QUOTE (ALEJA @ 26/12/2012, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow I never knew so many EB member became experts in what cops would do in such situations..makes me wonder.

Maybe some of us are cops? Work with cops? Work with drug users? Are/were drug users? Are drug-using cops? Are pro-legalisation hippies wearing hemp images on our worn out Bob Marley tshirts? Being on a mummy forum doesn't stop us being other things too.

I'm talking liklihoods, the real world stuff where you weigh up possibilities, rather than just jump when you think someone else is RONG and you are RIGHT, because it's rarely that simple. Are you really saying you can call the cops, say "my neighbours smoke joints in the backyard" and expect them to jump into action like it's serious, without worrying about the potential consequences even if this was the case? Some perspective- It's only a problem for OP because of the stinky smoke anyway. She isn't out fighting crime and evil in a spandex suit.

#25 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

It has such a distinct smell that it really is not nice to be around. And I wouldn't like to have my kids in that situation and have in the past removed them from situations where it is being used.

But considering your allowed to grow 3 plants for personal use and it occurs no more than a slap on the wrist and a fine, so I highly doubt smoking a joint is going to warrant the police to give more than a warning.

Edited by kriattica, 26 December 2012 - 10:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.