Any other musicians on EB?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kalota

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

I love playing in my band, but wonder if I'll ever have to give it up sad.gif I'm a full-time primary school teacher as well and I think that when I probably have kids/get busier, all my music will go to the wayside and there'll be no time for rehearsals/gigs etc! Which makes me sad.

So, any other practising musicians on EB, and if so, how do you manage your time with music/your life?

Just curious! original.gif

Edited by Kalota, 05 January 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#2 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

Classroom music teacher.

In the local choir, 2 reheasals per week.

Only percussionist in town, so I do a lot of the local musicals as well.

#3 sandoz

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

I play flute original.gif

I play with 2 community bands, one is a concert band and the other a jazz/stage band.  I only get to practice every second week I'm parenting on my own, Mums only able to watch DD that often). Apart from working its about the only thing I do for me so I try to make it as often as  I can!

Just bought myself a new flute for Christmas  biggrin.gif

#4 Froyo

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

I have a BMus and AMusA in voice. I also play (and have taught) clarinet and piano.
I have been in quite a few musicals, operas and recitals- not for a while now though. It's hard to make a living. One day I'd like to complete the FMus exam- some of my repertoire from my BMus recitals would more than cover it- it's just a matter of actually doing the exam.

#5 Kalota

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Oh definitely, there is no way I could make a living on my music! Which is why I am a full-time teacher as well, and which is why I worry that, one day, I won't have time for music for fun on the side anymore sad.gif

#6 jayskette

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

Not very well sad.gif

3 years ago our church burnt down and my beloved organ - so I am no longer technically an organist.

I had to give up choir last year because my IT job took so much of my time.

I sold my guitar during a rough financial patch earlier this year, so no more playing punk songs and bad Metallica lol

Even my piano is kinda gathering dust now - but I am rediscovering all the instruments over Christmas original.gif I should deliberately make time for playing after dinners next year.

#7 BlondieUK

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Former professional clarinettist turned classroom music teacher.
I now play in a few amateur orchestras in the region, and am trialing for a permanent chair with one of them original.gif Lots of fun.

#8 Overtherainbow

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

I play violin for various events.  Also play several other instruments for my own enjoyment.

I'm finding as the kids are getting older, I'm enjoying more duets with them but taking my own musical training less serious and more reluctant to agree to playing at events due to time constraints.

#9 ~ky~

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:30 AM

Until I have my carpal tunnel release in both hands, I am not a musician apart from singing which I cannot do outside of around the house due to DH being FIFO and no one to look after the kids except for me!

I play flute, violin, piano, guitar, bass, clarinet, oboe and uklele - all to around grade 7/8 level, so not fantastically. I have done a lot of singing in bands, sweet adelines chorus/quartets and musicals.

I miss this life but I love my life now too so I have no regrets.

Edited by ~ky~, 27 December 2012 - 04:31 AM.

#10 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

I play keys fulltime in one of the Defence Force bands. (Big band and rock band). I don't need to fit it in around my life because it IS my life lol. The perks of the job include lots of travel and I've played with loads of big name artists (like James Blundell, Normie Rowe etc). My DP also does the same job but he's a singer and sax player.

#11 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

I went for Army band, but I'm too short (and unathletic!) to run the beep test any faster than Navy standard LOL.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.