Private Schools
Recommentations

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 babywannab

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

Please help! For those who know schools and the system :/

We have 2 girls - 3.5 and 1.
Both are baptised RC but we do not attend church so a recommendation from the parish priest isn't really an option.
DD3 due for 4 yr old kindy in 2014.
We just got advised that we are waitlisted for Newman College, which we LOVED when we did the tour.

So I was thinking we apply for the 2 closest Catholic Primary Schools that feed Newman High School and then choose 2 other K-12 schools to apply for.

BUT is there any point in applying for any K-12 schools now? A year away from her starting kindy?

Public school is also an option but we have been saving for years for private and would like to try at least.

I'm stressed to the max over it :/

Any school recommendations or advice at all? We live near Belmont but were happy to drive over to Churchlands so that sort of distance is fine.

Edited by babywannab, 26 December 2012 - 11:52 PM.

#2 zogee

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

I would apply to at least 3 catholic schools ASAP even without the priests reference. I'm sure you'll get into at least one. We had a reference but I have no idea what was written as I wasn't given a copy huh.gif it can't have been very lengthy though as I'd just had a baby when we requested it and hadn't been to mass for a while. The schools I enquired with started looking at applications in April/May of the year prior to starting 4yo kindy so the sooner the better original.gif we're in bayswater so not sure about the area you're looking at. Anyway, good luck! original.gif

#3 galba

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:34 AM

I got my DD into Kindy at MLC in Claremont during the first week of Kindy.  Someone had dropped out and she started the following week.

Get the applications in for whichever schools you think might be suitable - you won't get a spot unless you're on their list.

#4 Mummzy

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:23 AM

My son is 4 now and he is going to a normal child care centre to do preschool and in November we put our Application in for the private school we wanted. We got accepted straight away. (I think with DF being in defence helped with getting accepted straight away). We didn't have to go on a waiting list.
I would just put in all the private schools you liked after taking a tour. Don't put in an application in for the schools you didn't like as you will be losing money.
With you asking why you should apply now, I would because other people's circumstances change and you may end up with a spot, even if you are wait listed, you may get in at the last minute.

#5 Ange

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

My kids go to Newman and they love it. A really great school original.gif

They have done the places for kindy 2014 (as my DD is in that year) but I would email them once every 2 or so months to see how you are on the list as people drop out due to moving away, changing schools all the time.

I would try and get them in to Our Lady of Good COunsel in Karrinyup, St Dominics in Innaloo, St Lawrence Balcatta and then keep contacting the enrolments lady til you get in original.gif

Pm me if you want any other info original.gif

#6 lorywhol

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

What Ange said = Go with Feeder primary schools if Newman is where you want them to go for High School.

It is always worth checking in and letting the enrolments office at Newman know you are happy to move over whenever a position becomes available.

#7 SeaPrincess

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

I'm doing DD's applications for 2 Catholic high schools at the moment (she's 3). I am submitting them without priest references but expect to be asked for them closer to the time - grade 5/6?  I went to one of the schools, so DD gets priority 2 for enrolment.  Her brothers are already down for the other one, so if they are going there, she will get priority 1.

I'm not that fussed on sending the children to private primary - our local Catholic primary is a feeder for the girls' school and I wouldn't want her to go there, and DS1 started in the neighbouring feeder for the other school and I took him out.

#8 mmuc83

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

i would still apply as PP have suggested people always drop out and you never know!

#9 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

There is a private school not far from us where you have to apply as soon as your children are born to get them a spot for kinder, so personally I would apply for any you wanted as soon as possible.

#10 watching the clock

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

if you can't get into Newman try St Brigids up the hill in Lesmurdie they are a great catholic k-12 and not to far from Belmont

#11 babywannab

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

Thanks everyone original.gif Looking at all those schools now! Poor DH will be busy filling out forms for days!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.