IUD being removed this morning - need help :(

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 notsonewone

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

After my DS was born I had a copper IUD inserted.  Can't do mirena as I don't tolerate hormones well and also have PND that won't go well with it.

So I had no adverse symptoms until my period returned when he's was 6 months old.  It is TERRIBLE!!  So so heavy, cramps like early labour, anxiety and dizziness and general nausea.  I would feel like this for a week.

So I've now had it in for 10 months and I've decided to have it OUT today.  Each period is as I said above, except this last one that went for 20 whole days sad.gif

But - once the period passes, it's all not so bad.  But I have this overwhelming feeling that I need it gone, I feel so strange having something in me.  Des that make sense? Also, I'm returning to work next month and I can't imagine being on public transport with a period so heavy, or sitting in a meeting, or even going from desk to desk without a head spin.

So I guess I'm asking for your experience and or advice.....

PS I did increase my daily zinc which helped a little, but it made me feel so so sick. sad.gif. THANK YOU.

#2 podg

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:30 AM

Oh gosh, good luck.
I'm waiting for my first copper IUD period after DS was born 6.5 months ago. I have had 4 babies in 5 years, the last two 17 months apart so it should be soon, and the last period I had (between DD2 and 3) was very heavy.

DH is going for a vasectomy so there is a time limit. If my period is too awful I might have to get a Mirena iud instead, but I'm not keen for any negative effects on my libido.

#3 Corella

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

The Mirena was suggested to me as I have migraines with aura so cannot have the pill etc but the Mirena is not systemic so doesn't have those risks. And with PND I've not heard of it being contra-indicated for a Mirena either and in fact have heard others being told it was a good idea because the depression made them taking a pill unreliable. So perhaps a second opinion? The copper one is pretty awful for heavy periods - getting it out is easy though.

#4 TPS

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

Oh that sounds awful OP sad.gif Hope you find another option that suits you better.

I've had a mirena IUD for 3.5 years now and it's brilliant. No period, every now and then I get a little bit of bleeding for a day or so, but barely enough to need to use a panty liner. And podg - absolutely no problems with libido original.gif My libido is actually better with Mirena than it was with the Implanon implant original.gif

#5 podg

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

That's god to hear. I changed pill once and my libido vanished. I was single and no prospect of sex at the time and still missed it!

OP I hope you find a better solution.

#6 ~Bob~

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

I had a similar experience. I would also have mid cycle bleeds that were like a whole period at once. It was awful. I also remember that overwhelming 'get this out' feeling.

I took it out and everything was great the moment I did. I have been using the mini pill since.

#7 hunter4

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

I don't know if this will be at all helpful, but I wanted to let you know my experiences.

I had the copper IUD put in about 3 years ago.  At first the cramps and bleeding during my period were awful. for someone who never had any period problems I was really not happy.   The heavy periods and lengthy spotting (1 week of spotting - followed by an entire period in one day - followed by another week of spotting) were really not fun, I also noticed worse PMS - which I had never had before.  Unfortunately I couldn't come up with any other options except condoms and I really didn't want to rely on those so I stuck with it.  Now at the three year mark I'm finally noticing my body settling down.  My periods are almost normal again - less PMS, less cramping so I'm finally happy that I stuck it out. Still not sure if the last three years were worth it or not..

#8 frizzle

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Gosh I would get it out in a heart beat. Where are you located. I can pm you my gynaecologist details. He does a lot of work with period issues, endometriosis, fibroids etc and is excellent. I am in Melbourne.

#9 frizzle

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Gosh I would get it out in a heart beat. Where are you located. I can pm you my gynaecologist details. He does a lot of work with period issues, endometriosis, fibroids etc and is excellent. I am in Melbourne.

#10 notsonewone

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

Thanks frizzle, I'm in Sydney so thanks anyway.

Hunter4 I can't do three years! The dizziness gets so bad I need to sit down!

#11 lamarque

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

OP you poor thing.  I hope getting it out helps your situation.

I had the Mirena in for 4.5 years and it was the worst thing I have ever done.

I suffered headaches, migraines (now on Imigran), depression, acne (seeing Dermatologist), breast tenderness (can't lie on my stomach to sleep), breast cysts, ovarian cysts, no libido at all and I bled for about 8mths after insertion.

I had it removed in June and the brain fog has finally cleared and I don't feel the need to stare at a wall for hours on end.   sad.gif

I wouldn't recommend it at all.  

#12 notsonewone

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Oh lamarque that is truly awful sad.gif

I'm so sorry. And that sounds like me on the pill!

Sitting at the docs now, waiting to go in. Still feeling unsure. But I think I'll just go IUD free and cope with what comes.

#13 notsonewone

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

The GP couldn't find the strings!! Aarrrghhh.

#14 Floral Arrangement

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

decided to remove post.

Edited by FloralArrangement, 27 December 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#15 lamarque

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Thank you notsonewone - it wasn't a good time for me at all.

My strings disappeared too (forgot to mention that one) but my GYN had no trouble finding and removing it.  Have you been referred to a GYN now?  

FloralArrangement - that's what my gp told me when I was referred to GYN for Mirena.  Unfortunately for some women it isn't tolerated at all - even Bayer's website acknowledges the very many side effects.

#16 Floral Arrangement

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

It's a real pity that it doesn't work for everyone, for me the mirena has been literally life changing. Obviously such a thing needs to be developed even further. I have to admit when copper iud's were the thing before the mirena that gave me the heebee's.

I cannot feel the strings of mine as I have an anti verted uterus(tilted a weird way I think that means) but the gp had no problem feeling the strings.

#17 feralisles

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Hi OP,

Don't be too quick to dismiss the mirena option.  Yes some people have trouble, but the majority don't.  I used this method for 10 years and it was brilliant - no periods, no side effects except a bit of random spotting and cramping in the first few months.  

I had had trouble with depression, acne and migraines in the past. None of these recurred on the mirena, and neither did I gain any weight.  The iron deficiency caused by pregnancy resolved quickly thanks to not having periods.  As an active person, the freedom has been bliss.

Just thought I'd throw another point of view in there!  Good luck with your decision, whatever it may be.

#18 mumto3princesses

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

I had the mirena. I'm glad I tried it but ugh. Lot's of problems!! I have very heavy periods and it did help a lot in that respect but it wasn't worth trading that for other problems.

Even my Gyno admitted that the symptoms I had could be the mirena although they are mean't to be very rare. I have heard of too many people having similar symptoms for it to be as rare as they say though.

#19 FreeRangeMum

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

I have a Mirena, and I'm also sensitive to hormones and have pnd (well now it's just anxiety disorder not pnd but I digress).

The Mirena has been great! I didn't react to it at all as the hormones stay localized in your uterus, and it was actually recommended by my psychiatrist who specializes in pnd as a great option for most women, he said its unlikely to exacerbate depression like the oral contraceptive pill!

#20 Nora.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

breast tenderness (can't lie on my stomach to sleep), breast cysts,

I already have cysts but wow, the tenderness is constant now. I had mine put in about 5 weeks ago. I expected other stuff but not sore boobs. Youch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.