Best HRM?
Don't want to spend too much

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ange

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

I'm after a heart rate monitor but don't really want to spend the earth..

So, which ones can you recommend that do the job well but aren't too $$.

original.gif

#2 Possum_gal

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

I've got a Garmin, which was a bit $$$, but well worth it. For a good starting one you can't go past Polar. They have a good range, starting at $79+.

Mel

#3 beaglebaby

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

NOT the polar FT7, mine has never worked properly on me - mostly works for other people, just not me!

#4 CupOfCoffee

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

I just got a Polar FT4 for Christmas (to replace my Polar F4, which was still working 3 years later, I just wanted a new one).  It is a basic HRM, but that is all I need.

#5 KirbyCat

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

I went from Polar to Garmin and never looked back. I did like the Polar but I outgrew it when I started running more and wanted GPS capabilities. I find the Garmin so fantastic.

#6 SeaPrincess

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:23 AM

DH and I both have Polar, mine is an FT60, which is the cheapest model with fitness test capabilities and holds 100 training records.  You can also buy accessories to download files to PC or Mac.  DH has an RS800CX which is not cheap and has GPS function but he does triathlons. His is only compatible with PC.

beaglebaby, would yours be under warranty?  I sent mine back and they replaced the transmitter for free.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 29 December 2012 - 10:25 AM.

#7 Katemeister

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

Quick question (sorry to hi-jack) do all HRM require you to wear the chest band? I've tried them before and found it really uncomfortable
Cheers

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Katemeister @ 29/12/2012, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quick question (sorry to hi-jack) do all HRM require you to wear the chest band? I've tried them before and found it really uncomfortable
Cheers

The strap on my new one is much more comfortable than the one on my previous one (almost 10 years old and was an inflexible, plastic thing almost as wide as I am!).  I usually wear a sports crop top for exercise and it sits under the elastic of the crop, so I don't even notice it.

#9 lewis

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

I also have the Polar FT60, it's awesome.

Kate, I don't feel my chest strap at all.

#10 beaglebaby

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

Sea Princess, DH took it into the Polar repairers in Adelaide, they kept it for a week and apparently tested it - by one of their guys wearing it round the office and cycling, they say it is fine.  I got one of the guys at the gym to wear it too, it mostly worked OK for him - a few dodgy readings but mostly OK.  For me though it sometimes works, sometimes it says my HR is 223, and then it says it is 0, I tried to use that as proof my trainer had killed me but she refused to believe I was dead!

#11 elco

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

I was going to get a Polar one however Harvey Norman had 25% off. Trimex just before Xmas so I picked up one for less than $80 (watch and heart strap)

Kate my PT said to me that it is pointless buying a heart rate monitor without the strap because they aren't accurate. I am pregnant currently and my PT strongly urged me to get one so he can keep an eye on my heartrate during our sessions.

#12 mesaana

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

I have this one: New Balance

Fairly basic, but exactly what I wanted, and I've been using it for the last 6 months and love it.

#13 Katemeister

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

Oooh that new balance one looks good!
I wish I had not read this thread, now I want a HRM!!

#14 DandS

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

I've got a garmin forerunner 610 with HRM, and it is fantastic. Dont notice the HRM strap at all. Wasn't cheap though at $330.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• winter-school-holiday-guide

School holiday guide

Here is what's on around Australia in your state. From ice skating to music theatre classes there is something to suit every child and every budget.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.