Birthday cake ideas
dairy-free and soy-free

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Studybug

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Hi there

DS is turning 3 soon and I usually make him a cake to take to daycare to share around his birthday.  This year, one of DS' classmates has dairy and soy allergies so I'm a little stuck on what is appropriate to send for his class to share instead of birthday cake.

Any suggestions as to what food would be suitable and celebratory enough for 3 year olds would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers original.gif

p.s. also should add we're ovo-lacto vegetarian.
TIA.

#2 Bomber girl

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

Balloons
Bubbles

#3 intd242

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

party plates and cups to use for morning tea.

#4 Studybug

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:03 AM

ahh, of course, steer away from party snacks and go the party vibe.

Thank you! original.gif

#5 antsy

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

I once made this cake for a vegan friend using soy milk and I imagine you can substitute the milk for rice milk without issue. I also used a different frosting made out of cocoa, icing sugar and nuttulex butter (dairy free).
http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/best-...cake-L3663.html

Edited by TooManyToys, 28 December 2012 - 06:15 AM.

#6 Studybug

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

Thanks TMT!!

#7 amabanana

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

I sent DD to kinder with paper cups filled with plain popcorn, party hats and party blowers.  The kids loved it.  Just be careful if you use oil to fry the popcorn that no one is allergic- air blown is better if possible.

#8 kerstee

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

I love this idea - fruit cake

#9 happygurl06

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

I made this for DS:

#10 whipmix

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Happygurl 06 that looks wonderful. What did you use for the 1 and star shapes?

#11 happygurl06

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

I used a star cookie cutter and for the 1 I just drew it on a piece of cantaloupe with a skewer then cut it out with a knife.

I also made this one for another party:

We are egg and dairy free here and I relish the Challenge to do new things for various birthdays.

I've also done a massive chocolate crackle with mini marshmallows added set in a cake tin.

A super easy cake is a box of cake mix and a cup of creamy soda (nothing else).  I either do cup cakes or whole cakes and it works brilliantly.

#12 lynneyours

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (whipmix @ 29/12/2012, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Happygurl 06 that looks wonderful. What did you use for the 1 and star shapes?

It looks like rockmelon to me.  Or Cantaloupe, I think some call it?  I am saving this pic - awesome idea!

ETA:  Is this one above made of jelly?

Edited by lynnemine, 29 December 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#13 happygurl06

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

Yeah that one is jelly.  I used 4 packets and mixed in a couple of tablespoons of coconut milk in half of each color to give the opaque / pastel look.  If your not dairy free use yogurt.  It's quicker if you have room in your freezer to sit each layer in for 15 mins so its just sets before you put the next layer on.

#14 Studybug

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

oh wow, the fruit cakes look awesome!!  Sadly, my cheeky monkey is the only vegetarian on the planet who doesn't like fruit ohmy.gif (got to admit I'm a far off 2nd when not pregnant but I would totally devour fruit that looked that good).  Would it be too mean if I did a fruit cake anyway? cos it's a super cute idea lol.

Happygurl, I've never heard of the creamy soda cake idea - would have to check ingredients listing to make sure I avoid soy.  And it seriously works like a normal cake?  That's cool.

#15 happygurl06

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

I use Betty Crocker cake mix and no one even knows that's how it is made.  I haven't checked soy or dairy yet as DS is the only one dairy free and I haven't given him cake yet.

ETA:  the cup cakes in the first picture are made with Betty Crocker and Creamy Soda... Look normal too me wink.gif and they were devoured in seconds.

Edited by happygurl06, 29 December 2012 - 05:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.