desperately need to loose

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 taby

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

I am 160cm tall and weigh 78kg (way too much).

I have knee conditions that prevent me from doing a great deal of exercise (already had many operations and now have osteoarthritis) therefore cannot do any weight bearing excericses through the knee joint.  Too much walking and it swells up.

Generally I am well otherwise but need to loose weight.

I have never been a huge exercise person (I guess that's why as I've had my knee trouble all 38 years of my life).

My question is what weight loss can you recommend from your personal experiences?

I have tried weight watchers about 8 years ago and it helped, maybe I should do it again.

Any suggestions as I really need some help and encouragement.   unsure.gif

#2 Chelara

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

Restrict your carbs, count calories and go to the pool. You can easily lose weight through diet alone and as you lose you may find you can exercise more easily. Just start saying no to sweets etc. no cereal, less bread, potatoes pasta etc (if you can do none at all for a week or two then introduce just a little back into your diet it can really help even out the blood sugars and prevent cravings.

#3 RealityBites

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

My fitness pal is free, online and fantastic!

#4 taby

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

Chelara,
Thanks for your reply - can I ask is there a calorie counting book or where can I get this info from?

I don't eat a lot of bread anyway but do eat cereal for breakfast.  I love a good breakfast as it helps me start the day.

I am trying to give up Pepsi Max and have a cup of tea instead - man it's hard yackkaaaa!!

#5 taby

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

is the my fitness pal app only available for iphone or blackberry as I have nokia C7 and cannot seem to download it?

Edited by taby, 27 December 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#6 whale-woman

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

I probably have a bit of a different take on this. But what works for me is;
1) being mindful. thinking about if I'm actually hungary before I eat. Often it's becase I'm tired/bored/stressed that I go to eat. In these cases I do something else to deal with the emotion eg sleep/go out etc rather than eating.
2) eat till I am no longer hungary, not till I feel full.(important difference)
3) Eat unhealthy food only because I really want that food, rather than opportunistically. Ie no food is forbidden if I really want it. Part of this is also I don't keep unhealthy foods in the house generally but will go out to a cafe/shop specifically to buy them if I really want some. I don't feel guilt or beat myself up for eating something unhealthy occasionally.
4) Eat breakfast
5). sleep enough.
6) I find exercise helps manage my appetite. Swimming sounds a good choice in your case, but really any exercise you'll actually do is good.
7) don't weigh yourself but go by belt notches/clothes size as weight can fluctuate lots and can paradoxically increase if you loose fat and gain muscle.

I was overweight up to size 14 and using this strategy have stayed a size  8-10 for 10 years or so.

ETA By healthy eating I really don't believe in restricting specific food groups eg carbs etc.I just mean eating a balanced diet ( healthy food pyramid) of preferably non processed food. I actually find that intellectualising my relationship with foid eg calorie counting isn't helpful as really your body should be able to tell you what and how much to eát.

Edited by whale-woman, 27 December 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#7 Possum_gal

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:01 AM

Loosing weight is 70% diet, 30% exercise. So I would focus on getting your diet sorted first. My fitness pal is a great start. I would look at it as a lifestyle change, more than a diet. I eat a high protein, low carb diet. But I'd concentrate more on simply eating a diet high in a variety of fresh foods, cutting out processed foods as much as possible.

As for exercise, I'd stick to the pool for the moment. Walking in a hydro pool is great. Look into what groups they have running too. I know our local pool have an arthritis group couple if times doing the week.

Good luck and feel free to ask anything else.

#8 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

Calorie King is free, and online.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.