FIL Bringing Boat as gift

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 my4beautifulboys

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Im not sure if FIL is giving us a small dinghy boat for an xmas present or not? for the children. We live on a rural property a fair distance from them and theyre coming to visit us soon. I really hope they dont bring it, i really dont want that, anyway we already have one, that we use. What am it goingto do, without being rude?

#2 FeralSqueakyBee

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

Could you turn it into a play one, in the backyard for the kids? Paint it, add a sail and it could be heaps of fun for some pirate play, or just leave it as is - either way, it could be really fun. Maybe that's just me
It could also make a cute garden bed or flower bed, but maybe that's too kitschy for you. I do love me some kitsch. Otherwise, if there really is no use for it then can you just say thank you, keep it out of the way for a little while and then quietly give it to someone who can make use of it?

#3 Phascogale

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Accept the gift graciously and say thank you. Then do whatever you want with it.  

If it's the same or similar to the one you already have you can probably sell this one and your FIL will be none the wise.  Otherwise, if you have the room then you can do something really cool with it like the PP's have suggested.  

Did your father in law talk to you about giving you one before it was bought?

#4 dwdwdw2

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

This:
"Accept the gift graciously and say thank you. Then do whatever you want with it.  "

Also....

2 boats = boat races!

#5 Madnesscraves

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

I think that's a lovely idea. Turn it Into a play thing. Can you make a really big sandpit and put it in there so they can play pirates n stuff and pretend the sand is water?

#6 Rachaelxxx

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

Accept the gift, you never know you might decide in time you are grateful to have a second boat.

#7 Therese

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

I think making it into a sandpit is a great idea!

#8 my4beautifulboys

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Yes it is very kind of him, thanks for the suggestions, yes it would make a great sandpit, but i think Fil would be horrified to think we'd made it into that, as i think the dinghy was made by himself some many years ago! As it turns out, it hasnt got a suitable trailer yet so he would be bringing it ;-)

#9 lilmissmars

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

we used one as a sandpit and it was great.deeper than a regular sand pit too.

#10 JustBeige

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (my3beautifulboys @ 28/12/2012, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes it is very kind of him, thanks for the suggestions, yes it would make a great sandpit, but i think Fil would be horrified to think we'd made it into that, as i think the dinghy was made by himself some many years ago! As it turns out, it hasnt got a suitable trailer yet so he would be bringing it ;-)

Get your DH to ring himand say "thanks for thinking if us, but we dont need another one"

My vote is to just be honest but gracious

#11 lamarque

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

He made it himself?

I wouldn't be saying 'thanks we've already got one'.  huh.gif

As others have said, accept graciously.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.