What size school shoes did you kids wear FYOS?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

We have been looking around at schools shoes, many seems to start at a size 9 or even 12, some go down to a size 8, DS is a size 7/24 at the moment so he will just have to wear his sandals to school until his feet are big enough for a school shoe.

So I was wondering, what size shoes did your children wear in their first year of school, and which brand of school shoes do you like the best?

#2 msro82

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

DD will be 6 in April - her shoes are a 13.

Last year (Kindy Tas) she wore Sz 11.

My daughter has bigger feet then most of her friends!

#3 TarneeW

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

My DS has just finished his FYOS. He started the year in a size 1 New Balance school shoe. He probably could have started in a 13 but the lady measuring said he'd grow out of them too quickly.

The New Balance shoes lasted the whole year too. We will be buying the same again for 2013.

#4 fooiesmum

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

I think you'll be able to find a few of the larger stores have small sized school shoes, these ones are in your sons size  - http://www.theathletesfoot.com.au/ascent-axis-black

My nephew wore this brand last year & they made it all the way through his first year of school.

HTH

#5 Expelliarmus

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

My kids just wore sandals or sneakers when they started school. Still do actually.

I've seen tiny FYOSchoolers in black lace up school shoes though. they do come pretty tiny actually.

Edited by howdo, 28 December 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#6 baddmammajamma

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

My daughter wore a 13, and my son (starting FYOS in January) will be lucky to get into a 10. He has small feet.

My kids wear Clarke shoes.

#7 mnsr621

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

DS1 is tiny and just wore black runners, you can get them everywhere from Kmart to the sports stores.  Wait for the back to school sales and you should get a better price.  Last year we had new balance which lasted ok.  Pauls warehouse usually has great back to school sales but get in early as they sell out quick.

#8 No girls here

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Mine were both in a 13 I think (DS1 was 4.5 and DS2 was 5).  

I've tried a variety of shoes, and I like Clarkes and Grosby.  Grosby were the best value for money as they're cheap and lasted most of the year.  Clarkes are a bit more comfortable (softer leather), they lasted about the same time but are way more expensive than Grosby.

I wouldn't go anywhere near Big W or Kmart cheap ones (unless they're Grosby) as they lasted us less than a term.

#9 Bella_a1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

DD who started FYOS at 4.8yrs wore size 11, DS who is starting FYOS in 2013 at 4.10yrs will be wearing size 12.

#10 mumto3princesses

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

DD#1 wore size 8.
DD#2 also wore size 8.
DD#3 wore size 9.

Gosh, some kids have big feet LOL. DD#2 and DD#3 (just turned 9yrs) will be going into Year 4 next year and DD#2 wears size 13 and DD#3 size 3.

#11 Mishu

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

DS wore size 2 at the start of FYOS, up to a 3 now   huh.gif  I'm going to be working just to keep him in clothes and shoes as he gets older.

But I was just going to second Clarkes shoes - one pair lasted us the entire year. They are very scuffed, but they made it. Whereas we are on the second pair of sneakers, which were worn for fewer days each week.

#12 Propaganda

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

Size 10 or 11 for FYOS.

Starting Year 2 soon and will be size 1 or 2 for a 128cm tall girl.

Edited by Propaganda, 28 December 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#13 kyrrie

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

You may find a pair of Clarks to fit. Dd started as a size 8 but when she was properly fitted she had a pair of size 9 Clarks. There was still room in them by the end of the year but she found them really comfortable from day 1. Now she wears Lynx, she walks straight out of the cheaper shoes like Grosby. This year she will have size 13 and be in year 4, so not all kids have big feet.

DS has big feet, he started school in size 10.

#14 melaine

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

I'm impressed by people who remember the sizes their kids wore. My son is about to start FYOS - I think he's a 10, maybe an 11.

He has friends who wore black school shoes to 3 and 4 year old kinder though - and they must have been in a size 7 or 8 then.

#15 melmamma

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

My daughter wore size 9 Lynx. She was a size 8 at the time but the 9s (for the Lynx shoes anyway) was small for the size and comes with a removable insole that we used for the first few weeks. Worth getting her fitted at a proper shoe shop for the first pair, I think they can order in smaller sizes in brands like Clarks or Lynx but might not have them in stock all the time.

#16 EBeditor

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Clarks size 12. He was almost 5 yrs old.

#17 kadoodle

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

DD1 wore a 7D, DS1 wore a 10E.  Both from Clarkes.  Please get your kids' feet measured and fitted properly, they'll need to get you kids around for the next 80 years.  Cheap shoes are a false economy.

#18 FiFiLicious

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

My little one is about to go into yr 1 and will be in size 8s. Last year, the only shop that had shoes her size ( or close) were sox n socks (??) lady janes had size 6-7 which in size, has lasted all year. ( we do have to get new ones for wear and tear... ) Clark's are pretty good though re sizes just a little more exy.

#19 libbylu

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

DS started off at about 11 or 11.5 and finished the year in 12.5 (started school at 5.5 years old in Feb).
We buy mostly Clarkes but they are not black school shoes - they can wear whatever shoes they want as long as they have closed in toes. We usually get brown or navy as they go with most things.

#20 Feral timtam

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

You can get black lace up shoes in the smaller sizes from either Payless or Spendless, can't remember which one we purchased my sons shoes from but they were a size 6. They weren't his FYOS shoes though, he needed them for a wedding.

#21 sleepy1

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

DS wore a size 11 New Balance, lasted really well too. We fitted here, but ordered online from Endless. I think Amazon sell them though. He's now in a 12.5.

#22 mumtojanda

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

My DD started in a 10 1/2 brown Clarkes lace ups. She wore sandals in term 1 and then wore these from term 2. I had bought them the year before for $10. She wore them for 2 years.

She is starting Year 4 and is now just starting to wear her 3rd pair. They are a 13 or 1.

#23 cinnabubble

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Ecco 13.5.

OP, my two year old is wearing size eight shoes. That's tiny for a five year old.

#24 kadoodle

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 28/12/2012, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ecco 13.5.

OP, my two year old is wearing size eight shoes. That's tiny for a five year old.

My eldest was a tiny little squirt in size 2 clothes, size 7 shoes and hatpins in her boater to keep it on for her first day of school.  We were in England, so it was "proper" uniforms.  Size 2 blazers are a crime against humanity.

#25 cinnabubble

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

That's heartbreaking, Kadoodle. How tall was she? My two year old is 99 cm tall and she's closing in on some of her big sister's FYOS classmates.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.