Anyone with a pasta maker?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

I received a pasta maker for Christmas, I haven't had a chance to have a play yet, but read the instructions today, and the first thing was to mix the dough using a food processor.

I don't have one - can anyone suggest an alternative?

I was thinking that I've seen that KitchenAid has a dough mixer attachment, would that do the trick?
(Note I don't have a KitchenAid either, but really really want one!).  

I figure decent food processor = $400, KitchenAid = $600, perhaps worth forking out the extra $$ for something I want to get eventually anyway.

#2 FancyAnOmelette?

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

I have a kitchenaid and the pasta maker that goes with it. I used to mix the dough in the kitchenaid, then put it through the pasta maker.

I decided to try hand mixing and kneading it (instead of kitchen aid) the other day and seriously, it's a doddle. It only takes a few minutes, you'll feel the consistency of the dough change from rough to soft and springy.

I use Jamie Oliver's fresh pasta recipe with 00 flour and the pasta is always lovely. I do love my kitchenaid, but you definitely don't need one before you play with your new Xmas present original.gif

#3 jayskette

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

My machine gave the recipe for pasta to mix in a bowl and knead by hand... - so a food processor isn't really necessary.

#4 dolcengabbana

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

I made it on my bench two days ago and fell in love with the therapeutic feeling I got from making my own dough. I followed Jamie Oliver's recipe using 500g "00" tippy flour and 5 eggs all room temp I sieved my flour dumped on bench made a well cracked the ggs in usining me hand mixed from middle incorporating and mixing the flour and soon became a ball then kneaded and wrapped in glad wrap in the fridge for about 70 - 80 minutes as its so hot here.

My friend assured me that to make it here in cairns in this hot weather to turn my air con on to a low temp and cool the house way down so it doesn't get too tacky or wet from the heat and humidity and it really did help. Everyone love my pasta it was enough to make 3 large lasagnas next time I will halve the recipe.

#5 dolcengabbana

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-r...fresh-egg-pasta

The recipe I used.

#6 noi'mnot

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

Absolutely, there's no need for a food processor or a mixer to make pasta dough. It is a little quicker, though.

For the record, if you're thinking about either/or one of them, I use my food processor more regularly than I do my kenwood mixer. But, the mixer is indispensable for various baking activities (though these ones, including meringues and such, aren't done as often in our house).

#7 i-candi

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Yep doable without a processor.

That 5 cup/5 egg recipe is huge, I usually use max 3 cup flour/3 egg and it usually makes too much.

I tried ravioli the other day, it was a bit of a failure but what I did manage to get out the mould did taste nice.

I'm so tempted to buy this product

http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/1607550663...dPriceItemTypes

So cheap compared to here. Sometimes I think it's too good to be true but I emailed him asking if it is genuine and they said it was.

Does anyone know if USA product is compatible with Australia products?

#8 FancyAnOmelette?

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

I candi, I haven't heard good reviews of that pasta maker. Apparently it's really hard to get a decent pasta extruder for home use. I do have the other kitchenaid pasta maker though (sheets, fettuccini and spaghetti) and that's fab. Got it from
Amazon for about $110 including shipping, almost half the price of buying it here.

#9 i-candi

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (tiggywinkle @ 28/12/2012, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I candi, I haven't heard good reviews of that pasta maker. Apparently it's really hard to get a decent pasta extruder for home use. I do have the other kitchenaid pasta maker though (sheets, fettuccini and spaghetti) and that's fab. Got it from
Amazon for about $110 including shipping, almost half the price of buying it here.

Yeah I have the pasta maker as well which I'm ok at. I bought a ravioli maker (not Kitchenaid) because I'm not that experienced.

I'll put off buying the pasta press original.gif

#10 foxgirls

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

Can you buy '00' flour from the supermarket?? What brand etc?????

#11 cardamom

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (foxgirls @ 28/12/2012, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, it's readily available in most supermarkets. I can't remember the name of the brand I use, but it's in a blue and white packet.

I gave up trying to use my ravioli attachment (Marcato Atlas), the dough always got terribly stuck and it ended up a mess. I just do it by hand now, it's quite therapeutic if you're in the right mood.

#12 MiSS_E

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE (foxgirls @ 28/12/2012, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have a food processor, or good blender, cheat and tip some regular old plain flour in there and whiz it up a bit so it's a little finer.

#13 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

You were all supposed to say 'go buy a KtichenAid' so I could show my DH wink.gif

I will give the Jamie recipe a go, I found some 00 Flour at Coles today.

#14 i-candi

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (SlinkyMalinki @ 29/12/2012, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You were all supposed to say 'go buy a KtichenAid' so I could show my DH wink.gif

well that's just a given !!!! lol go now and buy a KitchenAid original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.