Mason Pearson Hairbrushes

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 greypink

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:37 AM

I've been given an Amazon gift voucher and was thinking of buying a Mason Pearson brush for myself but am wondering if they're really worth the money?
I have really long fine hair which is such a pain to untangle every day so I was looking at the nylon detangler. Does anyone have any feedback?

Thanks original.gif

Edited by greypink, 29 December 2012 - 08:41 AM.

#2 Madnesscraves

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

I have one, had it since I was 4. Love it. Still in excellent condition original.gif

P.s I have fine hair too.

#3 PixieVee

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

I bought one in the UK last year and I love it. I too have long fine hair and the first time I used it, it actually made my hair shinier! I love it, but my my has had her for years and years so I knew they were a good buy.

#4 greypink

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Thanks for the replies! I think I'm definitely sold on one now, I'm just not sure which one to get?

#5 sam2989

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

I've had mine for 15 years and still going strong (despite my brother and I giving it a rough time when we were younger lol) I have the nylon and boar bristle one and love it

#6 Cacti

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

I was just in a panic because I thought I'd misplaced mine! Found it again. I have the nylon/boar bristle one, they're the only hairbrushes that actually make it through my hair and cut down on the knots.

#7 CupOfCoffee

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Now that I have seen this thread, I have started googling them and I want one (for my daughter, who has curly (easy to get knotty) hair.

I am thinking of getting the Pocket Bristle and Nylon (they are a good price on Peter of Kensington).

Edit: We currently use an afro comb on her hair, so hopefully this will be nice on her hair.

Edited by CupOfCoffee, 29 December 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#8 Fire_fly

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

I love mine. It has taken a beating but still going string after all these years. I will be getting one for my daughter when she is about 4 as they last a lifetime and are so good!

#9 bikingbubs

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

mine is still going strong 16 years on. i love it! mum said she cant wait to buy my dd one too lol

#10 boatiebabe

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

They are the best!

I have been using them since I was 19 (now 44) and I have very long and healthy hair.

I have found a brush will normally last about 10 years or more, however I use mine for blowdrying too and they take a bit a beating with all the heat and probably the last one has only lasted about 5 years.

I like the hog bristle and nylon combo brush - I use the Popular style and DD has the Junior style.

Worth every cent.

#11 indigo~

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Another fan of MP brushes; been using them since I was a child (my gran gave me my first one) and I'm 40 now. I think I've only had 3 in that time, they last really well if you look after them. They make a lovely gift too.

#12 greypink

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Thanks everyone, good to hear they are worth the money.
I'm going to order tonight so will update with what I decide!

Edited by greypink, 29 December 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#13 kerstee

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Another fan of MP here! I've also been using them since I was little, and my mum has been using hers forever. I have thick, wavy hair and the nylon/boar bristle brush I have is fantastic with it.

Definitely worth the investment in my opinion, and I agree with a PP, they make a lovely keepsake gift.

#14 Treehogger

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

I've been using mine now for 36 years - still going strong! Definitely worth it when you work out 'cost per wear' rationale!

#15 tibs

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

I just bought DD the pink child's one for Christmas and it is awesome on her fine hair.  I got it online from a UK pharmacy for $60 shipped.

#16 librablonde

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

My mum has had her MP brush for more than 20 years and loves it. It doesn't really suit my hair but she adores it for her hair (fine and wavy).

#17 greypink

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

I decided to go with the all nylon detangler, thanks everyone for your help original.gif

#18 lilmissmars

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

Mum bought me one ten years ago and I wouldn't replace it for any other brush on the market!
I love it and think its worth every cent.

Not much help on which type you should get though as I have thick straight hair. Though mine is also brilliant on DDs fine thick hair as well.

#19 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

I'm pretty sure mine is bristle and nylon, 'popular' size. I've got lots of fine hair, and it's great.

#20 belindarama

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

I've had mine since I was 10 so 28 years and still going on strong.

I would never use anything else.

#21 Rocket

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

I had a second hand one for about 15 years (my older sister's). In the end the back of it broke. I was devastated.

#22 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (tibs @ 29/12/2012, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just bought DD the pink child's one for Christmas and it is awesome on her fine hair.  I got it online from a UK pharmacy for $60 shipped.

That's a great price. Which pharmacy?

#23 tibs

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (starboard @ 30/12/2012, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a great price. Which pharmacy?

www.tlcpharmacy.co.uk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.