Is this a bit rude?
*etiquette question*

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 fruitbat72

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

DH and I still have to write to thank our wedding guests for their gifts

Would it be wrong to type them on nice paper rather than hand writing? I get mega cramps these days when I write for long periods and we would adjust the letter to reflect the gift

Am I overthinking this?

#2 PixieVee

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

I think it's fine.

#3 Therese

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

I think it's fine as well.

#4 CupOfCoffee

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:00 AM

I probably wouldn't even notice if it was hand written or typed.

Just having a thank you and if it reflects the gifts (so each letter is unique) it would be appreciated.

#5 Poss and Soss

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hand written is nice if you can. Typed is better than no thank you at all.

If you do type it then it would be a nice touch to mention the gift specifically or something particular to those people on the day or lead up to the wedding so it's obvious it's not just a form letter!

#6 EuphoricDysphoria

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Personally I'd be typing and printing a generic letter and handwriting the names in. You can then add in more personal stuff to those you want.

#7 Mumma Mash

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Many in our circle do those photo thank-you cards.

Something like 'thank-you for being at our special day - Mark & Mary 21/12/12' or to that effect.. same with thank-you cards for newborns.

I personally love these as they sit on my fridge for ages where as a hand written note is read and possibly tossed/'filed'.. lol

#8 statua angelam

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Hand written would be best, but if you have a medical reason not to (cramps), then I guess your guests will be understanding.  As others have said, as long as each is personal and thoughtful.

#9 snuffles

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:07 AM

I think it's fine, I'd be chuffed to receive a thankyou card to start with!

#10 *Lib*

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Getting a thank you typed or handwritten is so unusual these days that I would be grateful for either!

#11 Mumma_G

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

I have never ever seen a hand written thank-you! All have been the generic post card types or similar.

#12 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

I think typed is fine if you do each one personalised. I love to keep ones like this.
I don't like those generic pre-printed thank yous at all, I honestly throw them out because they are so impersonal.

ETA I always do personalised handwritten thank yous for special occasions, I think it is a nice way of acknowledging the time and effort someone puts into attending the event and bringing a gift

Edited by strawberrypie7, 29 December 2012 - 09:15 AM.

#13 Rolex

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (Mumma Mash @ 29/12/2012, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many in our circle do those photo thank-you cards.

Something like 'thank-you for being at our special day - Mark & Mary 21/12/12' or to that effect.. same with thank-you cards for newborns.

I personally love these as they sit on my fridge for ages where as a hand written note is read and possibly tossed/'filed'.. lol

Agreed.  I have a baby thank you card still on my fridge - it's nearly her 1st birthday Lol.

OP, I think typed is fine, as long as they are still personalised original.gif

#14 LynnyP

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

You know, I even think an email is fine.  The intent is to thank - the medium is less important.  I would rather have a personal email than a generic printed photo card.

#15 Madeline's Mum

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Typed wouldn't bother me, I think the gesture behind it is the important part.

My MIL (and maybe her generation) would be a bit miffed that it wasn't handwritten. A CIL did the typed and handwritten names thing for theirs and MIL was fairly offended.

#16 soontobegran

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

The fact that you have thought to thank someone is what is important IMO.
Handwritten, typed, emailed or even SMS (not so favourable with me) is good. It appears to be something that is not deemed important by many people these days which is a bit of a shame.

Just like saying thank you for holding a lift door open, waving to someone who gives way......you don't do it for thanks but it is nice to receive it.

#17 Cacti

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Hand-written would be nicer, but I'd count a personalised email in that category, actually - because that's obviously just for them. A typed letter would be okay if it's personalised for everyone, and way better than nothing at all!

#18 Etcetera

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Long as you do it yourself, I don't think it matters. MIL did SILs thank you notes, lazy sh*t.

#19 CrazySingleMum

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

I'd have no problems with a personalised typed note over a handwritten one.

#20 baddmammajamma

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

I have great difficulty writing, so I type just about everything. However, as others have said, what really seems to touch people is when you personalize the thank you (and by personalize, I mean more than just changing the names -- actually writing something that indicates a connection to the recipient).

Congrats on your marriage!

#21 Baggy

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

I'd wouldn't think its rude at all. I'd even be happy with an email or a phone call.

#22 BobTony

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

I can't see any problem with a typed card/letter. I'd actually prefer that to many people's messy and illegible handwriting!

#23 GlitterFarts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

I do typed thank you's. I write the main message, figure out the font and colour and etc, I then leave the name and gift spot blank. Then I copy and paste as many times as I need, then fill in the name and the gift bit making each one individual and personal.

Dearest XXXXXX
We just wanted to say
Thank You!
For your generous gift of XXXXXXXX
It has really touched our hearts,
Yours in Warmest Thanks
Freakpet, Mr Freakypet, and the Freaklets

and I usually do a nice picture and then hook it together.

So far, everyone has liked it biggrin.gif

#24 SqueakyPeanut

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (baddmammajamma @ 29/12/2012, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have great difficulty writing, so I type just about everything. However, as others have said, what really seems to touch people is when you personalize the thank you (and by personalize, I mean more than just changing the names -- actually writing something that indicates a connection to the recipient).

Congrats on your marriage!

I agree with this.

#25 luke's mummu

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

I think it's fine, as several weddings we have been to recently haven't got a thank you not at all. One we got a generic SMS which I was a bit "OH" about , but at least we know they got the gift (cash).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.