KitchenAid vs Sunbeam mixmaster

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 red_squirrel

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

I'm looking at these two brands of mixer.

Can anyone objectively tell me why the kitchenaid is worth spending an extra 300-400?
The only main difference I can see is the kitchenaid has the planatery motion where the mixmaster you need to scrape down the sides occaisionally. I can't see this as valuable as I watch what is going on anyway.

Is there something I am missing? (besides nice colours)

#2 ‎~(˘▽˘)~

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:15 PM

watching this with interest.
I am also looking at the red sunbeam mixmaster.
They have just re-released them and they are meant to be better then the older sunbeam cafe series.

#3 red_squirrel

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

Is the new one the MX8500?

http://shop.target.com.au/p/sunbeam-mixmas...8500r/P52298196

Or is there going to be a newer one?

#4 ‎~(˘▽˘)~

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

thats the new one wink.gif

I have pmed you

#5 ~Jot~

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

I haven't got either of these but I've just been doing a lot of stand mixer research. From what I've read planetary motion is preferable to mix everything in better. When you get right down to it all mixers need to have the sides scraped down occasionally.

I went with the Kenwood Platinum Chef as I'm heavily biased towards Kenwood! My 30 yo Kenwood just broke, it never missed a beat before.

#6 Chicky whicky

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

I have thre breville mixer and I love it.

#7 Chicky whicky

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Dp

Edited by Chicky whicky, 29 December 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#8 Cranky Kitten

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

I guess it depends on what you're after - if you're just wanting a mixer for cakes and such then the Sunbeam would probably do the job well enough, but then so did my mum's nearly 30 year old Kenwood. If you want it to do more than that and aren't planning on shelling out for a Thermomix any time soon I'd go with the KA.

I find the dough hook on my KA works really well not only for breads and pizza dough, but pasta as well. Beating eggs for desserts takes 1-2 minutes tops and whipping a litre of cream about the same, plus it's quieter than any other machine I've played with. It comes with the whisk, flat beater and dough hook as standard.

The attachments are what really make the KA though - I have the rotor shredder/slicer, so much easier than a food processor as it shreds directly into whatever container you want, even the saucepan you're about to cook with. I've also just gotten the mincer/grinder and sausage stuffer attachments for Christmas so am starting to play around with making my own sausages. Next up is the icecream bowl biggrin.gif

Plus it just looks sexy on the benchtop.  

#9 unicorn

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

I had a mixmaster for about 100 years, it was a great machine until it finally wore out.
I now have a K5 Kitchenaid, that's the high lift bowl one, and you still have to scrape the sides down, I like that it has the attachments, you can build on your collection of bits and pieces and it is heavier duty, but if you just wanted to mix cakes, I would go the mixmaster.

#10 MiSS_E

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

I have the Breville Scraper Pro and it was only $100 more than the Sunbeam, but so so good. I really recommend it. I got a free ice cream bowl attachment for the price too.

#11 Jupiter123

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

I love my mixmaster, you can do eggs, cakes, dough etc in it and its really effective. Mine is about a gazillions years old as its a hand me down from my mum who was given the kitchen aid. She has told me on several occasions she wants her mix master back lol

#12 Persnickety_

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

I also have the breville scraper mixer with the free ice cream bowl.  It's great!

#13 Lucygoosey1

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

I have a breville and am very happy with it.  It does cakes, whips cream, eggs etc and can do dough.  It doesn't chop like a food processor though,  so perhaps that is where the kitchen aid differs.

#14 red_squirrel

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Thanks everyone.
I've decided to go with the sunbeam. I basically want it for cakes but was interested in the mincer attachment of the kitchenaid. I've decided for the same price as the attachment I can buy a stand alone dedicated mincer from some other brand. As I want a serious mincer.

There are some good deals on the sunbeam at the moment at binglee, goodguys, and harvey norman - depending on what colour you want. Each has a different colour.
Also my mum had a sunbeam - still does. It's 70s and still going strong but she won't give it to me. It is rather ugly though - dark brown, cream, and gold with a very 70s style.
Thanks again

#15 Bombom

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Love my Kitchen Aid! I guess I know people who owns them for 20 to 30 years and still working the sturdiness of the design and I love you can buy attachments

#16 FiveAus

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

I've got a Sunbeam mixmaster from the late 70s. It's not too ugly, the stand is black, white and chrome and the bowls are white glass. It's been a real workhorse and I am still using it once or twice a week. I'm sure they have fancier attachments now but gee, these things were built to last!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.