Digital Piano?
Brand/model help needed

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BeckyFreeze

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to purchase my first digital piano. I've been playing an upright for years but have had to give it away due to space reasons. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on brands, models or specifics/features to look for?

Anything would be greatly appreciated!!

TIA

#2 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

We have the Yamaha P155 which I find really good, nicely weighted keys, great sound, would love an upright again one day but for now and for us this is great

We have the Yamaha P155 which I find really good, nicely weighted keys, great sound, would love an upright again one day but for now and for us this is great

#3 BeckyFreeze

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

Thanks 3Keiki!

#4 jayskette

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

My digital has the full set of keys and is about the same length as an upright  unsure.gif

#5 skylark

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

My husband highly recommends his which is a Yamaha, he can't remember the series number unfortunately (it is in his office, not here at home). It cost $1000 about 3 years ago, if that is any kind of help.

He loves the playback features, which help perfect a piece, and also help with composition.

#6 BeckyFreeze

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

Thanks Skylark!

#7 annie13

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Definitely the Yamaha, they are the best on the market.

#8 Kalota

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

I've got an upright piano, but I've got a full length digital piano for live gigs. It's not a Yamaha, though!

It's a Casio CDP-100, and I think it's great. Nicely weighted keys and good sustain pedal.

As for getting a digital for lack of space though, my digital is the same length as an upright piano as well :/

#9 BeckyFreeze

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for your answers everyone. To clarify: the space thing isn't about length, we just don't have enough room downstairs. An upright would be nearly impossible to be put upstairs without hiring a crane! The digital would be a lot more easily transported up the flight of stairs we have in the new place.

#10 YandiGirl

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

A grand piano and an upright also have the same number of keys, so the grand should take up no more space than the upright?  rolleyes.gif

I understand what you're saying about a digital to save on space. I have a full size digital and although it's got the same number of keys, and therefore is a similar length as an upright, it takes up significantly less space. I have it poked in between a desk and a bookcase, a place I would never contemplate squeezing an upright.....

Oh, and it's a Yamaha P95. Simple features, nice feel, sounds reasonable, price was good too.

#11 kay11

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

I've got a Kawaii which is still going well after 10 years. It's survived three moves (between apartments and up/down flights of stairs), across Sydney and across Australia.

The one thing that annoys me is the buttons to change the different sounds from Classical grand/violin etc. I only want it set to piano but the kids are more interested in pushing the buttons to get the extra noises.

I'm very much a hobbyist though.

#12 amabanana

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

We have the Yamaha P-150B.  It's sounds great, has lovely weighted keys and is connectable with your iPad and there are various music apps you can use.  
We are very happy with it.

#13 Coldstar

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

the only brand i know is Yamaha, i found many people use this brand, so i think it may in a high quality.

#14 Sharon11

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Yamaha is a very good brand. original.gif

#15 sandra063

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

mmm, definitely alot cheaper than normal pianos

#16 belindarama

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:22 AM

We have a Korg.  DH did a lot of research and trying out in the stores and this what he choose.

It has a full size keyboard and piano weight keys. It sounds amazing.

#17 tick

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

We have several Rolands in the family and they've all been excellent.  Long lasting, hard wearing with kids playing them regularly, weighted keys and all that.  Between my sister and I and a few cousins there's probably about six different models and they've all been great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• ek-toysales-thumb

Best buys of the 2014 toy sales

We have rounded up some of the best from this year's half yearly toy sales from the big stores around Australia.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.