Skin care
what do your teens use?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 *maddierose*

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

I am after  new skin care products for my teen girls aged 17 and 14, something that is not to harsh on their skins. What do your teens use daily as a cleanser?

Also my skin is the worst it has ever been, i never really had acne as a teen and in my 20's but since my early 30's  my skin has become worse with each passing year. What do you use as a 30+ woman?

Edited by belnryan, 29 December 2012 - 10:57 PM.

#2 Mille-Mille

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

I use a few drops of pure rose hip oil mixed in with QV face moisturiser (SPF 30+).  I have pretty sensitive skin and this combo has made my skin feel amazing.

In the past I have always splashed out on expensive skin care products, but not anymore!  

I also use witch hazel as a toner, and whatever cleanser really.

#3 Mille-Mille

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

The younger you can get your girls using a moisturiser with sunscreen the better, they will thank you for it later.

#4 *maddierose*

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

The younger you can get your girls using a moisturiser with sunscreen the better, they will thank you for it later.

They always wear sunscreen as i have always used it for them even as babies so they have that in their routine but they are pretty slack with cleansing/moisturising ao i really need to push this. I buy them different things all of the time but they get slack after a few days.

I also use witch hazel as a toner, and whatever cleanser really.

I have used witch hazel in the past and loved it, thanks for reminding me about it.

#5 Mille-Mille

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

I find cleansing wipes more convenient at night when I can't bothered washing my face, have you tried that for your girls?

#6 kissy10

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

I have used natural skincare products since 2007 & do not miss their chemical counterparts. I am 39 with weird skin, I get dry & sensitive with some occassional hormonal breakouts. Thankfully, my skin is not as oily as it used to be, however I have yucko blackheads on my nose mainly. I am used to exfoliating weekly & using a mask.  An excellent clay mask range for all skin types is Karma Karmelian http://www.karmakarmelian.com. There is a mask for every skin type & they do work.

In terms of cleansers, I have recently started using oil cleanser at night; Olive or Rice Bran oils are ideal. I use a facewasher to clean the oil off in the shower, which is also great as a gentle exfoliator. Contrary to popular belief, using oil based products on one's skin does not cause breakouts. I make alot of my own skincare stuff, but I do love buying different brands to try out.

Depending on how much you wish to spend, there are plenty of options. A great base range is Sukin or Natural Instincts, both available at Chemist Warehouse & Priceline.

Whatever you do, don't encourage your teens to use strong foaming cleansers. The trick with oily skin is to leave some oil as stripping it causes more oil to be produced.

#7 Mille-Mille

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

Whatever you do, don't encourage your teens to use strong foaming cleansers. The trick with oily skin is to leave some oil as stripping it causes more oil to be produced.

I agree with this.

#8 unicorn

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

My teens are boys, but they use raw sugar as a scrub, about a spoonful is plenty, just mix with honey and lightly rub it in while in the shower and rinse off, and raw honey as a cleanser, again just rub it in and rinse under the shower, I don't know how often they do this but their skin is pretty good considering. When I remember to I coax them into having an oil cleanse.

#9 kissy10

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

I used to use Rosehip oil at night, but found it was too rich for my skin. Jojoba oil is perfect for all skin types & would be a good base oil for your teens.

#10 *maddierose*

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

this is what dd1 has found since buying some of her own skincare products. I think it was the clearasil she purchased because of all of the magazine advertisements.

My teens are boys, but they use raw sugar as a scrub, about a spoonful is plenty, just mix with honey and lightly rub it in while in the shower and rinse off, and raw honey as a cleanser, again just rub it in and rinse under the shower, I don't know how often they do this but their skin is pretty good considering. When I remember to I coax them into having an oil cleanse.

sounds nice and simple, will look into it, thankyou.

The girls skin isn't to bad acne wise but has become quiet dry from chemicals and using soap when being lazy.

#11 ~shannon~

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Agree with everything kissy10 said.
My family uses Sukin, NI, A'kin, Nature's Organics and Gaia products for various things (not just face products, but shampoos, bath wash, all over moisturiser, etc). They do not contain any harsh ingredients (no sulphates or petrochemicals, etc).
I used dreadful products in my teen years to rid myself of acne and all I did was make things worse, plus I now have very uneven skin tone (normal cheeks, red chin, wrinkled forehead, sun spots on my nose) which I'm sure was caused by these products plus sun exposure.

Edited by ~shannon~, 29 December 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#12 *maddierose*

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

I used dreadful products in my teen years to rid myself of acne and all I did was make things worse, plus I now have very uneven skin tone (normal cheeks, red chin, wrinkled forehead, sun spots on my nose) which I'm sure was caused by these products plus sun exposure.

That sounds like me, i was left to my own devices and chose strong chemical based products and spent a lot of time in the sun without appropiate protection. I now have a wrinkled forehead with strong pigmentation. A redish nose and chin, just looking overall horrible at this point in time. That's why i want to find good skin care for my girls.

#13 kissy10

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Tea tree essential oil or lavender are great for pimples, it clears them right up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-Kids_Snow-Queen-Promotion-tile

Win a Fairytale experience

To celebrate the DVD release of The Snow Queen, we are offering one lucky child and their guardian the chance to experience what it would be like to live in an enchanted fairytale.

• ebk-canonD30-thumb

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.