Celebrating at a time different to their actual birthday
Moving dilemma

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lorywhol

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

We are planning to move states about 3 weeks before DDs birthday.

It is wrong to organise and have a party a month before with her friends?

My concern otherwise is that she won't really have a party at our new destination. But a month before seems a bit early. But any later and most of the house will be packed. Although one option could be to have it somewhere like a playground (indoor or outdoor).

She will be turning 5.

#2 OneProudMum

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:30 AM

Awesome idea original.gif

#3 CallMeFeral

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

I think that's fine, if it means she gets to celebrate with her friends.

We'll be having DS's about 2.5 weeks early so that it can be when his cousins are in town. There can still be a cake/tea etc on the real day - I think the party day is pretty negotiable.

#4 binchen

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

We celebrated Emmas 4th bday a month early (before we moved to Australia). This way she could have the party with her friends ... Her actual bday was just a family thing.

This year, we will have the party a day earlier ... her bday is on a Monday.

#5 Ducky*Fuzz

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

I would. Otherwise have a going away party original.gif

#6 greypink

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

I say go for it original.gif

#7 CountryFeral

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

Absolutely!

Party with your friends at any time!

#8 IsolaBella

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

Party a month out then family afternoon tea on the day is fine.

We brought DD birthday fwd bya week as DH was not going to be in the country for her birthday.

There was also a thread recently about birthdays near Christmas..... One person said they pad a party for their half birthday each year.

#9 baddmammajamma

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Absolutely!

There are no hard & fast rules about when you must throw a birthday party. I know plenty of people whose kids have birthdays during school holidays, and they host parties during totally different times of the year.

Happy birthday to your daughter & happy moving!

#10 Chelli

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

I think it's a great idea and a nice way for her to say goodbye to her friends. I was in a similar situation with moving interstate just after my DD turned 5. We had a gorgeous fairy party with her school friends and the photos are sentimental now as she hasn't seen any of them since.

Good luck with it and all the best with the big move.

#11 Kremeferal

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

My son's birthday is the 28th December - we have his party a month early every year!
One of DD's friends had her party 2 mths after her birthday this year.
I don't think it matters  original.gif

#12 lorywhol

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

Thanks everyone.

DH suggested we combine it with the new little ones, Christening Day. So I will have to think about that... as I wanted to do a Rainbow themed party. But it is deinitely do-able.

#13 Therese

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

I would have it early too original.gif

#14 TinyTeddys

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

My DS's birthday is between Christmas and New Years...this year was his FYOS and we had a party mid November with his school friends. He loved it!

#15 ~shannon~

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

We are doing exactly this. My DD's birthday is right when my baby is due and we are travelling away for the birth, so we're having a party about three weeks beforehand.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Essential-kids_320x214-redballoon

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.