How long for an 11yr olds party?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 purpleblackqueen

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

I am throwing DD a birthday party in Jan (Birthday was this month), as her party for her 10th was a disaster and for other reasons.

I am thinking a dance/make up party with her friends from school- with 3 sleeping over.

Was thinking 2-6pm on a Saturday arvo.

WDYT?

#2 anasam

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

It depends if they need you to entertain them or not. DS had a birthday a while back and all I had to do was feed them and they started their own cricket game and I didn't have to do a thing for a few hours.
4 hours is a long time though. If you have to keep dealing with disagreements or bored kids you will be over it by the time the sleepover starts.

#3 katpaws

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

Four hours is a long time. Two hours seems fairly standard from the parties DD has been invited to.

Slumber parties are the work of the devil and should be legislated against.

#4 purpleblackqueen

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

Maybe if I start at 4pm and just have the sleepover, but then 1 friend that hayley wants cant sleepover as her family dont do sleepovers- hence why I thought of the day things too

Not sure

#5 anasam

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

If you are just having the sleepover and it will only be few kids I would start at 6pm. The child who isn't allowed to sleep over could still come but be picked up at say 8 or 9pm.

#6 JustBeige

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

PBQ - my eldest has a friend like that.  We just start the party at 4pm and then the parent comes and gets them about 9 or 10pm (whatever suits them).   We just wait until after this girl goes home to do the night time stuff like movie watching etc.

Do all the girly fingernail painting etc while she is still there so she can join in.

#7 kabailz13

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:48 AM

DD1 had 4 friends for her 11th birthday in October and they were here for 4hrs.

They set themselves up and watched two movies (weather was TERRIBLE) with snacks and then we had birthday cake before the girls left - the boy stayed for longer original.gif

Do whatever works for you. If the girls are familiar with you and your house, longer doesn't seem as long as if they are all strangers original.gif

#8 Phascogale

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

If you are just having the sleepover and it will only be few kids I would start at 6pm. The child who isn't allowed to sleep over could still come but be picked up at say 8 or 9pm.
  This is what I would be doing.  Or even starting the party around 5pm and having dinner around the 6pm mark.

#9 cattivo lupo

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

It really depends on the kids.  Some kids I can have here for a few days, others wold drive me mad after a couple hours  original.gif .

DD went to a friends house yesterday, not a party, just a little get together.  There are 5 of them, and she was there from 2.30 till 8.30.  They are such a nice bunch of girls though, that it wasn't a bother.  They're gorgeous kids.  If it had been the group she used to hang out with, that would be a whole other story.  You might remember my birthday party sleepover hell story from earlier in the year, when I sent one of the girls home for being a PITA.

Have fun.

#10 Holidayromp

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Four hours is a great time.  That is how long we had for DD 10 birthday party with DD 6 having three and a half hours.  I planned them both down the last minute which is important when you are having a longer party because bored kids play up.

Interestingly enough both itineraries finished about 20 minutes early but the girls were happy to entertain themselves in the lounge room playing limbo.

With DD10: 4 hours

Movie with popcorn
Food and cake
Pass the parcel
Memory game
Wii dance off
Present giving
Free time (20 minutes)

With DD6  3 and a half hours
Movie with popcorn
Food and cake
Musical statues
Pass the parcel
Presents
Free time (20 minutes)

#11 Holidayromp

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (anasam @ 30/12/2012, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That isn't very nice for the child knowing that they can stay to the main event - the actual sleepover but then get pipped at the post so to speak and miss out whilst everyone around them is staying.  Not a nice feeling at all.

#12 Julie3Girls

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

I wouldn't finish at 6 ... Just seems like an inconvenient time to end a party, right on dinner for the parents picking up.

So I would do 2-5pm, with the expectation that kids would be gone by 5:30.

With a sleepover with some not staying ... My dd did this. Invited 6 girls, one child got picked up at 9pm. The rest stayed. Basically, the child had the choice - she could stay overnight, or come for just a while, or not come at all. I think it would have been far more hurtful to simply not invite her. Instead we catered her .. Made sure most of the fun party stuff was before she left, worked great.

Sleepovers, I tend to start around 4.  Last one was at 3, because they wanted to swim in the afternoon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• The Boxtrolls is due for release September 18.

Movie review: The Boxtrolls

Alan Snow?s bestselling novel, Here Be Monsters, offered the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman the perfect tale for their latest stop-motion animation film about a family of box-dwelling trolls who live under the streets of Cheesebridge.

• Lah-Lah's Adventures airs on the Cbeebies channel on Foxtel and Austar.

'Lah-Lah's Adventures' a musical treat for young and old

Sydney-siders with tiny tots have been loyal followers of the Lah-Lah band for many years but the boisterous children?s music group from the inner-west continue to grow their following with their own television series.

• ppcard-thumb

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less: what is your best pregnancy or parenting tip?

• quotes-320

Wise words from kids movies

The movies we watched as kids had a lot more to offer than just entertainment. Here's ten wise quotes from kids movies.

• yoda

31 iconic family films from the 1980s

If you grew up in the 1980s there will be a number of films that are close to your heart. Here are 31 of the most iconic for you to watch with your own kids.

• cruella

10 live-action remakes of famous animations

After the success of "Maleficent" at the box office Disney is opening their vault to re-work the classics into live-action movies, and a number of other film studios are following suit. Here are ten live-action remakes to look forward to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.