I really hate camping

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Amy Ramekin_*

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

I hate the packing up and unpacking. I hate the general discomfort and inconvenience of it. I hate that our 14MO DD sleeps even worse in a tent than she does at home and it's just generally hard work being away from home with her.

I don't understand what people enjoy about it. We have no need to "get away from the hustle and bustle" with living where we do.

My husband loves it and wants us to go camping "regularly".

Do I really have to, EB? If so, how often?    cool.gif

PS. I wasn't always like this but have become a completely unadventurous stay at home bore in my pre-middle-age.

#2 ~iMum~

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

I luuuurve camping! We first took DS camping when he was 7 weeks old.

Things I love about camping include, but are not limited to...

- the absence of some form of housework calling to me, which gives me the opportunity to sit down and spend time with the kids
- making damper on a stick for the kids
- cooking said damper and marshmallows with the kids
- sitting under the stars at night time
- no TV blaring (though we do take one when we go to van parks)
- it's an excuse to blow the diet original.gif

#3 FiveAus

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

I'm with you. Even camping in a caravan with kids is hell on earth. My worst holiday was 10 days in a caravan park with my 4 kids aged 12 down to 2, and my mother.
The kids whined, fought, nagged for money, cried ( the little one), my mother spent the whole time insinuating if they were her kids they'd be better behaved and after 10 days I was ready to commit myself. Either that or commit murder.  

#4 cinnabubble

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

I am 43 and I have never been camping. I can't imagine a world in which I would consent to go camping. Ever.

#5 blueberrymuffin

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

I'm with you, I don't understand it. Why would I leave the luxuries in my house to rough it outside?

I've made it DH's thing that he can do with DS, while I have a weekend to myself.

#6 FiveAus

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

If you want cheap camping stuff, start going to garage sales. Plenty of people buy the gear, use it a few times then ever go again.

#7 halcyondays

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

I like going to fancy hotels where there are lovely beds and hot showers. Then we rug up, go out for a bushwalk and do the toasting marshmallow thing, swimming in creeks etc etc before coming back to blissful hotel room for a hot meal not prepared by me and a deep hot bath.
Have money, will stay in hotel.

#8 ~Jodama~

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Love it. Everything about it. But I must admit it is a lot easier in the last year since we brought a caravan mainly packing wise.

#9 ~Winter~

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

I don't do camping. I love travelling and seeing new places but I hate being dirty, having to then sleep in a tent, I hate sleeping bags and then getting up the next morning even dirtier. I would be happy to go away somewhere that we could cook over a fire: BBQ, hang out around a fire and then go sleep in a cabin.

#10 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

---

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:39 PM.

#11 Ruffles

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

I will do a chalet in a camp ground - that is as close as it gets.  I've told DH that he can do the tent thing with the kids, and I will stay in the chalet with tv, air con and bathroom.  (Won't let them in, though).

Am also getting the kids excited about camping weekends away with their dad!!!!  Can't wait for the peace and quiet when I get to stay home alone!! biggrin.gif

#12 snuffles

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

I like camping when it's 'real' camping, real roughing it, style.  DH's version of camping, though, is 'glamping'.  I find it hard to see the point, really, it just gives me a more difficult place to do housework and cook dinner.

Although we did camp by the beach last Christmas and I enjoyed most of it, as I love the beach and the weather was perfect.

#13 Cath42

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

I would rather stick needles under my fingernails than go camping.

#14 Zanbam

I love it, the kids love it the DH loves it. Best done where no one else is (HATE caravan parks) and where it is beautiful - also love bush walking and 4WDing!!!

ALSO love 5 star but prefer50,000 star with a good camp fire.

#15 libbylu

I love camping but am not going this year because I am 7.5 months pregnant, and it's hard enough to sleep in our super comfy King size bed, let alone in a tent on the ground.
The packing and unpacking is a pain, granted, but that's why it's best to spend at least a week or two away.
We live in the inner suburbs so I think it's really important for DS to experience a bit of nature. We camp in national parks with a group of friends, so it's just really restorative to spend some time getting back to basics, letting all the kids muck around together and having the company of friends while cooking, cleaning and getting to enjoy drinks with friends after the kids are asleep. cool.gif

#16 ChunkyChook

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

What do you actually DO all day when camping?

#17 Excentrique

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

If you go camping, how do you get AWAY from the kids???

#18 Guest_Amy Ramekin_*

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (ChunkyChook @ 30/12/2012, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you actually DO all day when camping?

Follow your DD around trying to remove cigarette butts from her mouth and stop her stealing other people's tent pegs.

#19 snuffles

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Excentrique @ 30/12/2012, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you go camping, how do you get AWAY from the kids???

That is the fifty thousand dollar question!!  I have to have DH there so he can watch the kids while I go do something, LOL.

#20 Faradaye

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Most of my childhood holidays were camping in a tent, so I have plenty of experience.

I bloody hated it and am never planning on doing it again.

To quote my DH 'if somewhere is worthwhile going to, they'll put a Hilton there.'

#21 Etienne

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

I love camping and think hotels are boring and mundane and not that different from being at home... apart from the cooking.  Camping allows you to find entertainment in things you ordinarily wouldn't do.  We go with a big group, the kids (that are old enough) entertain themselves for the most part and it encourages and educates us about getting to know the beautiful outdoors.

For sure it can be tough but for us the benefits certainly outweigh the cons.

We do go on a resort/hotel holiday occasionally when we really need to unwind, lay by the pool and be waited on and sure it's nice but I couldn't do it for every holiday.

#22 RillyBilly

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

I suppose it depends where you go.

I know a few people who spend the day fishing/swimming/hiking, others love it as they can sit around and read all day (at home there is always just too much to do) without feeling guilty.  Others I know camp somewhere near tourist attractions/parks, so they can pay daily visits.

I would probably have to invest in a solar charger if we went, for ds's ipad (he has autism so it's good to help calm him) but the likelihood of us going camping (outside of the backyard) anytime soon is not good.  My dh feels the same way many of you do about it....

#23 JuliaD

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

I'm another person who is not keen on camping, but I suffer through it a couple of times a year for the sake of DH.

He LOVES it and would go every weekend if I let him.
What do we do - well DH loves 4wd-ing, so we actually spend a bit of time in the car, other than that it really is just sitting around and talking to and drinking with (a lot of drinking in some people's case) the other people we go with. It does get pretty dull.

He has tried, really really REALLY hard to make camping more comfortable for me, so I will actually enjoy it, but its still camping. Its in the bush, there's lots of dirt, and flies and no bathrooms etc etc. I can understand the romantic idea of a million stars etc out there, but just not for me.

#24 Cath42

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (It'sallgood @ 30/12/2012, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cook the food, clean up without any bloody proper facilites, sort the kids out constantly and deal with their discomforts...

This is exactly why I can think of nothing worse than camping. I'd come home from a camping trip exhausted and fed up. If I wasn't cooking or cleaning up, I'd be running around after small boys who were pulling out the tent pegs or falling in creeks. I'd need a hell of a lot of wine to get through a camping trip.

Edited by Cath42, 30 December 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#25 RebelWithoutAClaws

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (Amy Ramekin @ 30/12/2012, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Follow your DD around trying to remove cigarette butts from her mouth and stop her stealing other people's tent pegs.

You are camping in the wrong places!

I never grew up as a camper... But since just before DF and I have got together I have got more into it. Sometimes we pack all our camping gear on the back of our motorbikes and ride somewhere and camp (generally only staying 1 night at a time at each place.)

Now we have the 4wd and we love camping away from the hustle and bustle! We camp where there is a pit toilet and that's about it. Last time we camped at a camp site that also had some fire pits set up, which was nice original.gif

The girls went off with the other kids (including a teenager) and explored the bush in the surrounds (where we could easily hear them if they called.) We took turns on dirt bikes, though I did more of the part taking of the drinking and snacking wink.gif We just relax and chat with friends. We didn't swim that time, it was a cold weekend, but we would have, had it been warmer. We also take naps in the afternoon with the kids.

DSDs are learning to explore the bush and find fun things to do outside!

I don't like camping at caravan parks though, way too many people.

Edit: The key for me was a really good quality bed, with mat and also decent sleeping bag. I have back issues, so we spent a bit of money on our beds and now I am comfy and camping is awesome original.gif

Edited by PussyDids, 30 December 2012 - 07:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.